Pocket knife on cruise ship

masterty

Wondering if a typical pocketknife Swiss Army or Buck style folding pocket knife is acceptable on a cruise ship? Is yes is there a blade length limit?
Swiss Army or Leatherman is OK. Folding or switchblades are probably not OK because they are illegal in some states. No bombs, grenades, or weapons of mass destruction. I bring a very small (tiny) Swiss Army knife. Edited by Pam in CA

I have one of the larger Swiss Army knives - it was a gift many years ago. I stick it in my Dopp kit and it's never been noticed or questioned. I like that it has a cork screw... ;)

No bombs, grenades, or weapons of mass destruction. I bring a very small (tiny) Swiss Army knife.

Well, Pam, you won't be able to do much damage with just that little knife! :) DH takes his everywhere. He says he's carried his pocket knife since he was a kid and he doesn't intend to stop now. He does check it on an airplane, but I know he misses it. I can't tell you how many times his little knife has come in handy.

I have brought a Swiss Army knife on every one of my cruises without a problem. It is always in my checked luggage.

I do the same. Mine is the 'Key Chain Variety'.

One word of warning however, we took it on a tour one time, and were searched going into one building, and, anything that looked 'dangerous' was confiscated. I buried the knife in the garden, and got it back after.

john

My son likes to carry pocket knives and multi-tools. On our cruise to Alaska, he had one with a locking blade, and it was confiscated by Princess, but given back on the final night. He probably would have gotten away with carrying it if it hadn't been seen by an entertainment crew member. He was participating in an activity with the 18-20 year old group one night and pulled out the knife for something. When the crew member in charge of the activity saw that it was a locking blade, he confiscated it. He was very nice about the whole thing, even apologetic about having to follow the rules.

I guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't take knives with locking blades... or you should be very discrete about it. ;)

Swiss Army or Leatherman is OK. Folding or switchblades are probably not OK because they are illegal in some states. No bombs, grenades, or weapons of mass destruction. I bring a very small (tiny) Swiss Army knife.

Well, Pam, you won't be able to do much damage with just that little knife! :) DH takes his everywhere. He says he's carried his pocket knife since he was a kid and he doesn't intend to stop now. He does check it on an airplane, but I know he misses it. I can't tell you how many times his little knife has come in handy.

You may not be able to do much damage with the little ones but my wife had her's confiscated on a Greyhound bus! Maybe they thought she was going to hijack the bus to Cuba or something. Of course they let her keep her knitting needles which are much more deadly items... :rolleyes:

Wondering if a typical pocketknife Swiss Army or Buck style folding pocket knife is acceptable on a cruise ship? Is yes is there a blade length limit?

I've carried my Leatherman on my belt onboard and going ashore and have not had any problems on Princess cruises.......and then again only been on the Sun and Sapphire:)

You may not be able to do much damage with the little ones but my wife had her's confiscated on a Greyhound bus!
I had one confiscated once by the TSA. The whole thing is just over 1" long. I could do a hell of a lot more damage with a circular knitting needle (perfect garrote) not to mention the needle itself. Go figure.

I've actually used it several times and bring it on excursions.

Swiss Army or Leatherman is OK. Folding or switchblades are probably not OK because they are illegal in some states. No bombs, grenades, or weapons of mass destruction. I bring a very small (tiny) Swiss Army knife.

Thanks for making me laugh! Good to know about the restriction on weapons of mass destruction.:):):)

We recently cruised on Azamara and they pretty much confiscated everything. I usually travel with a small pair of scissors in my checked bag and I received notice that I had to go to security to ID my bag and retrieve after embarkation. They were busy with a lot of people signing for mostly small pocket knives. They kept everything until you retrieved them at time of disembarkation.

I've carried these same scissors on every Princess cruise and was never questioned. A very funny British guy standing in line with me to retrieve his bag referred to it as the "naughty" room and he had what appeared to be a small butter knife. I'm not exactly sure what awful things they thought he was going to do with that.

Dave

I thought you were going to say that you bring a very small (tiny) weapon of mass destruction. In a Rum Runner, no doubt.

I was on a Celebrity Cruise and my bag was never delivered. My phone had a message telling me my bag had flagged for an unauthorized item. I had to go down to the a room in the bottom of the ship where the open the bag and took my tool. They gave me a receipt for the item and told me I could get it back at the dock after the cruise. The knife they gave me in the steakhouse was twice the size of the blade on the tool. I did get it back at a warehouse on the dock after the cruise.

I had one confiscated once by the TSA. The whole thing is just over 1" long. I could do a hell of a lot more damage with a circular knitting needle (perfect garrote) not to mention the needle itself. Go figure.

I've actually used it several times and bring it on excursions.

You are also allowed to take multiple credit cards despite the fact that one could hone the edge down to be extremely sharp. TSA is full of excrement. I am NOT at all impressed.

Of course it's much easier to just bend over and take it from them and bow to their idiotic restrictions but really, they have such stupid ideas of security...

I have a bridge and food immediately migrates to that holding area. I need the toothpick (and the scissors) far more than I use the tiny little blade on the miniature Swiss Army knife I carry in my pocket.

I always keep a pocketknife, corkscrew, small bottle stopper and small pair of scissors in my toiletries kit. On the Royal out of Venice last year I had the pocketknife in my carryon. It was confiscated and I was told I would get it back at the end of the cruise. It was delivered to my cabin the next afternoon. Oops ;-))

Long story short. My girlfriend and I were flying at Christmas time. One of the gifts we were giving was a cheese board set with two knives. After haggling with TSA, they finally allowed us to carry it on with the provision that one of the knives was left behind. Those fools let us carrying the sharper of the two on board!

Guess if I bring my Swiss Army Knife then I better hide it in my checked luggage.

This thread caused me to think of a question: When boarding a cruise ship (Ruby Princess next April in my case), is the luggage opened and searched by the cruise line?

I thought you were going to say that you bring a very small (tiny) weapon of mass destruction. In a Rum Runner, no doubt.

:D:D:D And boy do I agree about the TSA! I dread going to the airport anymore.

Long story short. My girlfriend and I were flying at Christmas time. One of the gifts we were giving was a cheese board set with two knives. After haggling with TSA, they finally allowed us to carry it on with the provision that one of the knives was left behind. Those fools let us carrying the sharper of the two on board!

Guess if I bring my Swiss Army Knife then I better hide it in my checked luggage.

This thread caused me to think of a question: When boarding a cruise ship (Ruby Princess next April in my case), is the luggage opened and searched by the cruise line?

I believe the suitcases to be delivered to your room are scanned for things like weapons and alcohol. If they find something in question, you are called down to the 'naughty' room to explain and either say good by to the item or take your case to your room.

This past February, my DH was stopped getting back ON the ship after a day at Princess Cay with his tinker Swiss army knife. We were doing some snorkeling and he took it in case we needed to make adjustments to our newly purchased gear. He has carried that knife at every port for 8 cruises and this was the first time it was looked over when getting back onboard. They did let him take it back to our room but was advised to put it in the safe for the rest of the trip.

Pam, I know what you are saying about the knitting needles. A friend got her folding scissors confiscated in Colorado Springs as we went through TSA about 7 years ago. However, she could keep her 12 inch straight knitting needles! This was shortly after 9-11 and there was a young man (I am stereotyping) with dark hair who was wearing a t-shirt with Arabic writing on it and he went right through. . . I don't know how they picked and chose who was to be picked out of the line.

I always keep a pocketknife, corkscrew, small bottle stopper and small pair of scissors in my toiletries kit. On the Royal out of Venice last year I had the pocketknife in my carryon. It was confiscated and I was told I would get it back at the end of the cruise. It was delivered to my cabin the next afternoon. Oops ;-))

Awfully short cruise!

:D:D:D And boy do I agree about the TSA! I dread going to the airport anymore.
I had such a bad time going through Security at MIA last October (ONE TSA line for the entire AA terminal) that I immediately applied for and got TSA-Pre. It's now entered into my flight information and my boarding pass will give me priority through the line and I won't have to remove a jacket or my shoes or unpack my electronics. I'll be able to zip through. For me, well worth the money.