Pocket knife on cruise ship

masterty

I had such a bad time going through Security at MIA last October (ONE TSA line for the entire AA terminal) that I immediately applied for and got TSA-Pre. It's now entered into my flight information and my boarding pass will give me priority through the line and I won't have to remove a jacket or my shoes or unpack my electronics. I'll be able to zip through. For me, well worth the money.

It won't do you any good at LGA.

Everyone waits in the same line (we spent an hour on that line). Computers still have to be removed because pre-check passenger's carryons go through the same x-ray machine as non pre-check peoples'. But you can keep your shoes on.

It won't do you any good at LGA.

Everyone waits in the same line (we spent an hour on that line). Computers still have to be removed because pre-check passenger's carryons go through the same x-ray machine as non pre-check peoples'. But you can keep your shoes on.

That was almost the same as at MIA. Same line and machine. The difference is that the pre-check line was much, much shorter and people didn't have to remove jackets or shoes. I don't carry a computer any more but it's been a hassle for me to take my shoes, walk barefoot to a seat somewhere near and put my shoes back on. For me, a real ick factor, not that I'm overly sensitive to dirt but I don't like walking in public areas without any shoes.

That was almost the same as at MIA. Same line and machine. The difference is that the pre-check line was much, much shorter and people didn't have to remove jackets or shoes.

No, at MIA they did it right with a separate line. At LGA there was just one hour long line for everybody, even those with pre-check. It was not until you were almost at the metal detector that it made a difference in that you did not have to remove your shoes then although the persons in front of you and behind you had to.

Pocket knife! This is a thread about a pocket knife. Airline queue lines conversation is over there....>>

Where? The thing about threads is that they evolve and twist and turn and usually come back to where they started. I think it's up to the moderators to decide when a thread has gone completely off the rails. Welcome to CC. :)

Has anyone had any experience with an Opinel (French folding knife)? They are so handy to have for picnics and so forth, but I've never tried to carry one on a ship.

Where? The thing about threads is that they evolve and twist and turn and usually come back to where they started. I think it's up to the moderators to decide when a thread has gone completely off the rails. Welcome to CC. :)
I agree, but I believe posters would benefit from reading the CC Moderator statement on thread hijacking:

Thread Hijacking (Off Topic Posts)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=536380

Of course, when I have complained in the past about going off topic, someone will point out that my complaint is off topic.

Edited by billco

Are you looking for a fight or use it for fishing?

Neither. A handy knife has so many uses. Defense of life is its least usefulness. If I need to bring harm to someone, Princess supplies much better weapons in the MDR. If I need to pick a splinter, open a package, sharpen a pencil, cut a rope, string, or tag, open a letter, peel fruit, or render first aid to someone or something.

I'm glad to hear I'll most likely be able to continue carrying it on my next trip.

A good rule of thumb is not to bring a knife that you would be concerned over losing. We had one which came on board in the checked luggage, went off the ship in the backpack at a port, and was confiscated when coming back on board. We were told it would be returned the last night, but it was not. As we scanned off for the final time for our disembarkation tour, it flagged us and we were told we could retrieve it at the customer service desk. Not gonna happen when a busload of people would have had to wait on us.

I agree, but I believe posters would benefit from reading the CC Moderator statement on thread hijacking:

Thread Hijacking (Off Topic Posts)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=536380

Of course, when I have complained in the past about going off topic, someone will point out that my complaint is off topic.

This thread is essentially about security. It would be off-topic if there was suddenly a discussion about the rain in Spain falling mainly on the plain. :) Edited by Pam in CA

• 4 months later...

I often like to have an apple with cheese or Biscoff instead for dinner and had a paring knife confiscated from me on a cruise - as the butter knives are useless for cutting apples. Perhaps I will buy a Swiss Army knife with a large enough blade and try putting that in my toiletries bag.

On a recent embarkation in Venice, I had the opportunity to look in the confiscated items bin. It was full of Swiss Army knives. Later in the botique I noticed that they were selling knock-off's with a Princess label instead of the traditional red one. Later I asked one of the Princess Security men who was returning confiscated items about the conflict he just laffed and said it was the contract security people not Princess.

While boarding the Ruby for a BI cruise, my Swiss Army knife was still in my suitcase from the flight from the USA. I was called back to security because the knife showed up on the X-ray. I just had to pull it out and let them inspect it for size. I was then allowed to return it to the bag, and it went onto the ship. They said it would have been best for me to put it into my carryon before boarding so I wouldn't have to backtrack.

I had such a bad time going through Security at MIA last October (ONE TSA line for the entire AA terminal) that I immediately applied for and got TSA-Pre. It's now entered into my flight information and my boarding pass will give me priority through the line and I won't have to remove a jacket or my shoes or unpack my electronics. I'll be able to zip through. For me, well worth the money.
We are going to do the same. We had a horrendous experience at the TSA checkpoint after an international arrival in Philadelphia. No brotherly love was in evidence there, just a bunch of passengers at risk of missing connecting flights :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

As I prepare for another trip I am bumping this old thread to update what I experienced on my previous trip to Alaska with knives.

Embarkation went smooth. The few pocket knives I boarded with made it to my cabin. Kept them in my cabin safe. I did have a pocket knife confiscated getting back on the ship in Ketchikan. I was told the rule is "no locking blade". You can have small pocket knives like a Swiss army and such but nothing like a buck knife that locks open. So after a quick walk back to my cabin I was able to pocket another one that I brought on board. No problem.

Disembarkation day. I went down early to retrieve it. Once I retrieved it I was only allowed to disembark. In the end it proved to work well as an early disembarkation technique. :cool:

They confiscated my husband's knife in San Pedro and did offer to give it back at the end if the cruise.

On a separate occasion, in March actually, we bought two souvenir pocket knives at a shop in St Thomas, and they almost didn't let us bring them back onboard but relented in the end. We purchased them at the port shops, as a matter of fact at Crown Bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me