Rock or Gilbratar and Epic

bdaddyiii

I am looking to book the Epic out of Southampton to Barcelona with stops in Vigo, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Grenada (Malaga), Spain; and Cartagena, Spain. I realize the ship passes through the Strait of Gilbratar and does not stop at the Rock but can you see it from the ship? I have not been able to find any excursions listed for these stops either which I find sorta funny but any information would be helpful. Thanks

We passed through the Straits of Gibraltar on our Jade cruise from Barcelona to Morocco and the Canary Island in 2011.

We did not see the rock. I think we passed it in the middle of the night and too far had it been in daytime.

We saw lights at a distance. Every passage has been at night. DH even got up in the middle of the night at the time the ship said we'd be passing it.

However, we were able to take a tour to Gibraltar and the rock from Malaga. It's was a ship's tour which had not been advertised online, IIRC. If you've not been to Malaga before, the Alhambra tour is not to be missed. The Gibraltar tour was great but Alhambra was one of the best ever.

Edited by HokiePoq

We saw Gibraltar from the Spirit when we passed by on the way to Casablanca in April. On earlier cruises I believe that it was dusk or dark by the time they got there.

On this Epic itinerary, as you pass through heading into the Med, going to Malaga it is likely to be during the night so it's likely to be dark and very early in the morning.

As said above, NCL usually run excursions to Gibraltar from Malaga. I believe it is quite rushed though.

We did not see the rock. I think we passed it in the middle of the night and too far had it been in daytime.

It certainly wouldn't be too far in daytime. The Strait of Gibraltar is less than 10 miles wide, so the only reason you wouldn't be able to see Gibraltar would be if it was dark or in bad weather.

Unfortunately, as said above, it is often dark at the time.

• 1 year later...
We saw lights at a distance. Every passage has been at night. DH even got up in the middle of the night at the time the ship said we'd be passing it.

However, we were able to take a tour to Gibraltar and the rock from Malaga. It's was a ship's tour which had not been advertised online, IIRC. If you've not been to Malaga before, the Alhambra tour is not to be missed. The Gibraltar tour was great but Alhambra was one of the best ever.

Where exactly did the tour bus drop passengers off once you got to Gibraltar?

Thanks!

So,,,, we were on the Epic and spent several hours sitting and watching while we transited the Straits of Gibraltar and saw the rock. We were in a forward facing balcony and had a 180 degree view as we transited the Straits.

Were you on the return trip from Southampton? On the inbound to Southampton we couldn't see the rock due to the weather unfortunately.

Were you on the return trip from Southampton? On the inbound to Southampton we couldn't see the rock due to the weather unfortunately.

We were on the Southampton to Barcelona cruise after the completion of the Dry Dock. We transited during the early afternoon.

I am looking to book the Epic out of Southampton to Barcelona with stops in Vigo, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Grenada (Malaga), Spain; and Cartagena, Spain. I realize the ship passes through the Strait of Gilbratar and does not stop at the Rock but can you see it from the ship? I have not been able to find any excursions listed for these stops either which I find sorta funny but any information would be helpful. Thanks

In daylight, you will see the rock if weather conditions are favourable. Be aware that, even in good weather, the rock can be shrouded in cloud. Binoculars would give a better view, as the rock is in the distance when in the Strait.

With regard to an excursion from Malaga to Gibraltar, I would advise against as it will take over two hours road travel each way with a restroom break. Apart from the distance, there is ongoing friction between the Spanish and British authorities which frequently causes delay at the border crossing.....often at least half an hour! Whilst an interesting destination, it is far from being a "must see" IMHO.

Edited by hamrag

In daylight, you will see the rock if weather conditions are favourable. Be aware that, even in good weather, the rock can be shrouded in cloud. Binoculars would give a better view, as the rock is in the distance when in the Strait.

FYI. You're responding to an OP from June 2014. The one-off re-positioning cruise occurred 2 months ago.

Where exactly did the tour bus drop passengers off once you got to Gibraltar?

Thanks!

If it is a "tour" of Gibraltar- you would be taken up the rock, where they would have a few stops, where you would be given an amount of time to return. The caverns, apes and bunkers are usual stops.

It is an easy drive from Malaga which I done a few times. BUT you would need a very long port day. I rent my cars at the rail station, which I'm usually coming in on. which depending on the dock used, needs a cab. When I've been there on a cruise ship- the Hop On Hop Off Bus is a good option with shorter time.

Traffic from Malaga to Gib can be bad too. When you get there, there is also the risk of long queues to get over the border. You can park up on the Spanish side and walk over which can quicken things up.

The ncl tour is a transfer only... They take you to the border you walk across and another bus takes you into town. They aim to give you a minimum of 4 hours on the rock.

It was a surprise to me too. Take a look at google earth. Gibraltar is a small peninsula, some distance from the Strait of Gibralter.

But it is visible in daylight through the strait, I thought it might have been lit up at night but unfortunately not...