Ports of Scandinavia - LIVE from the Voyager 6/28 - 7/27/2014

but it is EXTREMELY GOOD.

Also on Oceania we experienced Pearl which is also GREAT.

A lot of American companies are experimenting with Vodka as it is very popular at this time. Jackie knows I love my martini...everyone try Titos!

If there is anything left in the bottle of Tito, I will try it. Smirnoff and Stoly come out tops in so many blind tests that I tend to be leary of anything that is highly advertised or touted.

findacruise: I do remember once you mentioned calling me by the wrong name. Happy to hear that you are a believer.

There is a waiting line for the computers (again -- this is becoming an issue for some since internet is difficult to get in the suite). Anyway, off to the Meet and Greet.

Looking forward to the next few days -- absolutely wonderful excursions in Honnigsvag. For now we will enjoy "almost" two sea days.

We had a lovely Meet and Greet this morning (thanks to Peggy for giving me hints on whom I should contact, how to plan it, etc). It was held in the Voyager Lounge (when it was closed). A coffee station was set up with some muffins, etc. The turnout was good - a lot of really nice CC'ers. The topping on the cake was having Capt. Daniel Green attend. He was definitely a hit and he spent time chatting with everyone. Really appreciated the fact that he attended!

The weather has turned cool. Some passengers are bundled up like it is the North Pole while my DH is wearing shorts and I'm wearing a short sleeved top. The weather outside is around 58 degrees, windy but sunny. There was a lecture this morning that we did not attend but will attend the 2:00 p.m. show where J.R. will perform. This evening at 9:00 p.m. will be the World Cup Finale! I expect a full house (and wonder if the Contellation Theater can hold everyone).

Edited by Travelcat2

Kudos to Jackie and Peggy for a great Meet and Greet. Was wonderful to meet everyone and to visit with the Captain.

Loving this sea day so far. It is finally cool! The "heat wave" in Oslo and Bergen was too hot for me (up to 83 degrees!). So glad to have nice cool and sunny weather. Getting ready for the midnight sun. Tonight is the last night where we will have any darkness, then from Monday onward, it will be 7 days of sun. Just as long as it is cool :).

If there is anything left in the bottle of Tito, I will try it. Smirnoff and Stoly come out tops in so many blind tests that I tend to be leary of anything that is highly advertised or touted.

findacruise: I do remember once you mentioned calling me by the wrong name. Happy to hear that you are a believer.

There is a waiting line for the computers (again -- this is becoming an issue for some since internet is difficult to get in the suite). Anyway, off to the Meet and Greet.

Looking forward to the next few days -- absolutely wonderful excursions in Honnigsvag. For now we will enjoy "almost" two sea days.

Given your statement about computers, I'm curious if the myriad of problems experienced by many travelers on the Voyager in Jan/Feb are fixed.

Some of the problems:

1. inability of several passengers to connect to internet service in their suites

2. getting logged off without any notice after 45 minutes or so. The internet would just stop working and it would take some time to figure out whether it was just slow loading pages or whether the passenger had been logged off.

3. incredibly slow speed frequently,

4. cumbersome sign-on process with multiple screens to click though to get "free" internet--wouldn't have been so bad if the internet speed had been okay, but very annoying when each screen could take 30 sec or a minute to load

RJ2002..... I never thought that I would say this because I am not into clothes or fashion at all...... but, I LOVE having my clothes:D However, the shoes I wore for 8 days are now my favorite because they are broken in:-)

CruisetheCs: Will attempt to answer your questions:

1. It is still impossible to access the computer from many suites. I understand that this is not the case on the Mariner. Today I learned that I could get easy access in the library which is a short walk (downstairs) from our suite.

2. It seems as if we are being logged off at approximately 1 hour (but it could be less). When I am typing emails or posting on CC, I "save" frequently. Then, should I lose the connection, I can still "paste" when it comes up again. This save tons of time. (note: For anyone not familiar with doing this, if you press Ctrl "A", it highlights your text. Then press Ctrl "C" to copy it. You can paste it (Ctrl "V") immediately or when you are logged on again.)

3. Not sure what you consider "incredibly slow" as we have had much slower speeds on the Voyager previously. If I compare it to our speed at home, it is slow. I learned today that there is only one satellite serving the Arctic Circle and we are fortunate to be able to have any connection at all. The other place that I remember not being able to connect was in Alaska.

4. The sign-in process remains cumbersome. However, the speed is good enough that each screen take only a few seconds if I am using computers in the internet cafe or my Kindle in the library.

On another topic, I tried "Tito" and must admit that it was very good. Jan encourages us to try things so I asked him for a very small amount of Tito with a splash of cranberry juice. He said that it was best very cold so he put some in a shaker with ice and poured it into a glass. Then he suggested tasting it without the juice. I did and it was very smooth -- did not need anything.

While tasting this, he wanted me to try a "small" drink with a vodka (forget the name) that is 50% less alcohol. He added Apple Pucker, Peach Schnapps, Chambord and a small amount of cranberry juice. He has no name for this drink but it is very refreshing.

During this alcohol tasting we met Peggy in the Observation Lounge and had a lovely dinner with her. She is definitely one of the most interesting and fun people we have met on Regent.

Instead of watching the World Cup, I'm posting. Not being a sports fan, I do not feel the need to watch the entire game but will definitely tune in about half way in. The game is in the theater as well as on television in our suites.

Tomorrow is mostly a sea day -- we arrive in Honningsvag at 7:00 p.m. (sorry if this information is repetitive).

Edited by Travelcat2

We could not connect to wifi reliably in our suite on our recent mariner trip. This was definitely a change as we had never had any problems before on any regent ship. Previously, if the ship had a satellite connection, I had been able to connect in the suite without difficulty, but this time I had to go sit right under a router in the hall. The best connection was down by the reception desk.

The M&G was great - nice to put faces with names.

I enjoyed the two tours I've been on - got me out of the cities and into the incredibly beautiful countryside. I got off the bus in both towns and walked back to the ship so I got a bit of both.

I didn't count the number of people on the buses but they didn't seem fuller than before and the new system in the theater seems to work and does stop people from leaving early to board the buses.

Terry Bishop - the lecturer is good - lots of facts and well presented. JR's show was terrific - but I love Broadway music.

The ship looks great - it's been four years since I've been on the Voyager - and there are lots of familiar faces - including a couple from - for me - way back on Royal Viking Line.

Had a very nice dinner with Jackie and Dennis tonight . . . .

We have no problem with the internet in our aft suite. It is quick, easy to connect to even here north of the Arctic Circle. We have not needed to go to the computer room.

We often hear about vibration complaints in these suites but we are not experiencing that at all. Our suite door is open so we can enjoy the sound of the water and surprisingly, it is not too cold! The constant daylight is very unique - it is 10:30 PM and very bright! Fun!!

We were blown away by the afternoon Broadway show by R.J. The Jean Ann Ryan group pales in comparison to his talent.

This cruise continues to meet our high expectations!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CruisetheCs: Will attempt to answer your questions:

1. It is still impossible to access the computer from many suites. I understand that this is not the case on the Mariner. Today I learned that I could get easy access in the library which is a short walk (downstairs) from our suite.

2. It seems as if we are being logged off at approximately 1 hour (but it could be less). When I am typing emails or posting on CC, I "save" frequently. Then, should I lose the connection, I can still "paste" when it comes up again. This save tons of time. (note: For anyone not familiar with doing this, if you press Ctrl "A", it highlights your text. Then press Ctrl "C" to copy it. You can paste it (Ctrl "V") immediately or when you are logged on again.)

3. Not sure what you consider "incredibly slow" as we have had much slower speeds on the Voyager previously. If I compare it to our speed at home, it is slow. I learned today that there is only one satellite serving the Arctic Circle and we are fortunate to be able to have any connection at all. The other place that I remember not being able to connect was in Alaska.

4. The sign-in process remains cumbersome. However, the speed is good enough that each screen take only a few seconds if I am using computers in the internet cafe or my Kindle in the library.

Thanks, Travelcat2. I was told by Regent that all the wifi dead zones on the Voyager had been addressed by mid March. Apparently that is not the case. I would be very unhappy to be in one of the suites where coverage is not available. Would be interesting to know what the crew says about why these dead zones don't get fixed.

Are the auto log-offs still happening without warning, i.e., no pop-up warning? I still don't understand what purpose it serves to log people off when they can just sign on again. Seems the only thing it does is annoy people.

As for speed, the internet on Regent (and presumably other ships) is always relatively slow, but the Jan/Feb cruise was often pitiful. The sign on process on occasion took minutes simply because there were so many pages and the internet was so slow.

BTW I was on Voyager a few years ago along the Norway coast and way further north with no major internet interruptions that I recall.

as I like to leave it to the "experts", but I have heard that Prestige has a new program that logs people off automatically after 45 minutes to an hour depending as so many people log on and do not log off. They are doing this for self preservation evidently. Sorry to pass this on.

It is interesting to learn that Norway was not a problem in the past. The computer expert on board feels that we are fortunate to have such a good connection at the moment. I believe that we are almost as far north as we are going to be on this cruise.

In terms of being cut off, I keep track of my time and log off and log back on before the 45 minute mark (if I remember to do so). The worst that can happen is that I'm cut off but since I save my emails/posts regularly, I do not lose anything (my email is backed up every minute or so anyway so I can find what I had been writing in "drafts"). This is an inconvenience but not a big deal for me. I would rather Regent keep people from staying logged on all day when they are not even at the computer than to to have the system slow down. Others certainly feel differently. As I mentioned previously, the internet was the slowest that I have ever experienced on our Singapore to Sydney cruise.

I need to repeat this for people who may not have read it previously - La Veranda's hours are very flexible to accommodate excursions. This is something we have seen occasionally in the past but not consistently. It is very helpful! Tonight many buses will be headed up to North Cape starting at 7:45 p.m. La Veranda will not become Sette Mari but will instead be a buffet to accommodate this excursion.

Just a tidbit that I have noticed on this cruise....... Deck 5 -- in the area of the computer room and Boutique is now being referred to as "Main Street". It reminds me a bit of "Seabourn Square" on Seabourn (a cruise line that we have not sailed on).

The World Cup Final was in the theater as well as on television last night. It was appreciated by many guests.

P.S. Great to see Caroldoll on this thread. We met on the Voyager several years ago and have emailed each other just about every day since:)

One more comment as I will be unable to post tonight. I realize that the plan is to extend the Boutique into the area previously occupied by Park West....... but, it is working exceptionally well as a game room. People have commented that the Coffee Connection is often used to play games which left no room for people to sit and drink coffee. Now there is room for both game players and coffee lovers. Wish there were some other way to extend the Boutique without removing the "new" game area.

Time for a French Coffee and a nap:)

I'm finally back to talking about ports. We had the most marvelous time last night and this morning in Honningsvag, Norway. We went to North Cape last evening and took a picture of the midnight sun (around 11:00 p.m. but it would have looked the same an hour later:-)

Today was amazing. We went "crabbing". We were outfitted in full floatation suits and then boarded the "raft" where the seats are similar to saddles on a horse. You do need to hold on both with your hands and legs as this raft is like a jet ski on steroids -- really a lot of fun. The crabs were lifted up from the cage and 4 or 5 were put onboard the raft and displayed. Once ashore, the crabs were killed and cut up (I walked away for this part but did hear them describe body parts, etc. -- yuck).

We proceeded to the tent where we sat on benches covered with reindeer skin. In the middle of the tent was a fire with a large pot of boiling water. The crab was cooked there and needed to rest for 15 minutes after which time they were taken outside and drenched in cold water (note: they were cooked in sea water) to cool them off. It was explained that if the crab was not cooled it would be rubbery and the meat would adhere to the skin (somewhat like a hard boiled egg does when not cook properly). The crab tasted absolutely amazing. We get crab where we live but not King Crab.

After eating two or three portions of crab we took another wild ride back to the dock -- got rid of our floatation suits and went to the Ice Bar where we were given something nice and warm to wear. We enjoyed the Ice Bar but did not stay long -- we were more than ready to return back to the ship where it was warm, dry and where a shower was ready for us.

I highly recommend this excursion if you are able to get into and out of the raft and withstand a lot of bouncing on the sea.

Going upstairs for a rest so I will be full of energy for the Explorer Steel Cutting party. Being an over the top Regent Cheerleader, this is almost like my child having a baby.

Oh, one more comment. Last night's halibut dinner (Paul Bocuse style) was absolute perfection. We live in an area where we get fresh halibut. It is a delicious fish but can be over or under-cooked within a minute. This was fabulous (as has been just about every meal we have had on board.)

Edited by Travelcat2