First Aid/OTC meds

Mytime2014

That's good info on the sunscreen. I seem to get a rash from some of them and I thought it was just me. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I could remember the other names for PABA - but a good pharmacist should know. Years ago my (at the time teenage) daughter had an awful reaction at the beach. I kept going to the drugstore and buying various lotions thinking I could get her skin better. Finally ended up at an emergency clinic. Because we were in a beach town that Doctor immediately knew what was wrong. He put DD on steroids and she had to spend the rest of the vacation out of the sun. And it turned out that all those lotions I was buying at the drugstore to help her had PABA in them. So I was only making her worse! I had always had a problem too, so I started avoiding PABA and didn't suffer anymore either!

Edited by Linda&Vern

So timely...I have a First Aid kit that includes bandages, cold/echinacea treatments , pepto-bismal, ginger drops, thermacare heat wrap, salonspa patches and soft moleskin for blisters. I need to add some of the aforementioned, when this thread is complete, I will add the missing pieces...keep,the info coming, thanks,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like having moleskin as well - even shoes that have been comfortable can rub you the wrong way if they get damp or you walk more than usual.

I did not know if the medical office was open 24/7 for minor things- and you know if you need lomotil or immodium it will be at the most inconvenient hour!

We carry a hilariously large amount of stuff in our "medicine bag." This bag doesn't have any prescriptions or other daily use items like eyedrops, or aspirin. Those go in my computer bag or DW's carry on tote. It's all part of our Zero Down Time Initiative. We may never need it, but I'll be darned if I'm going to run around a foreign port looking for Sudafed, Pepto-Bismol, or Sucrets.

Our 2.5 gallon Hefty brand travel bag (now with improved locking slider!) would make MacGyver proud. There's even some travel sized duct tape. Luckily that's only ever been needed for suitcase repair, and fortunately not for our suitcases - only for friends.

Edited by POA1

Liquid tears for dry eyes and a diuretic to combat water retention on the ship. Antibiotic (Z pack) and just about anything you can think of. Yet, when push comes to shove, I always have forgotten the one thing I'll need on any trip. Now, I make a list.

If you don't have a prescription for a pain killer -- take ibuprofen . Since I have severe spinal stenosis -- I do have a prescription for pain.

Something with Deet in it.

What pain killer has Deet in it? I've only heard of Deet being used in Insect repellent.

That's good info on the sunscreen. I seem to get a rash from some of them and I thought it was just me. Thanks for sharing.

Me too but I could not tell which ingredient caused the rash. I also just bought a new lotion for dry skin and experienced the same rash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Saline nose spray and saline eye drops (whatever you use at home - I have some that work with my contacts). Especially if you're flying to keep you from drying out. If I'm planning on a lot of walking, I'll throw in a couple of good blister bandages.

Ok, not medicine but I like having a few packages of individual bug repellant wipes to toss in my purse - kind of like carrying an umbrella. One evening in Belgrade I ended up handing out all my spares.

editing one more time... the note about sunscreen reminded me of problems some of my friends have had on trips. I wouldn't take anything along that I haven't used before. One friend had an interesting reaction to sleep medicine taken for the first time on a long flight. I don't want any bad surprises on a trip - just good ones!

Trish

I always take the Off with Deet wipes.

What pain killer has Deet in it? I've only heard of Deet being used in Insect repellent.

Way back when this thread was started -- I was answering 2 different questions at the same time.

Off with Deet wipes when going ashore in some ports.

Prescribed pain killers was another suggestion I had made.

everything is in a ziplock pint bag - wow, that takes up SO MUCH space.

My dress clothes consist of more than one would wear dancing around a pole. Maybe I will see some folks dressed in formal wear that takes up </= to my baggy - I'll have my camera ready and will share.

Please do not attribute any perceived insult to people who dance around poles - I'm just comparing the amount of clothing required to get me to the MDR to the space allotted to my personal OTC baggy.

Edited by Mytime2014

Hopefully you have another suitcase to carry all this stuff - you now have enough for a six-month safari miles for any civilization' date=' LOL.:D[/quote']

I do know some people who travel with huge amounts of "just in case" stuff. One of them even pays extra baggage fees to take all their OTC stuff. I am fairly certain they have never been far from civilization, but that's what they do. I don't understand it, but that's what they do.

We get by with Pepto tabs, ibuprofen, bandaids, Benadryl (because we both have allergies) and a gel pack as our OTC packing.

I don't usually give personal health advice on HAL threads - but because of first hand knowledge of sunscreen allergies I hate to see a fellow cruiser suffer. May I suggest you buy a sunscreen that does not list PABA as an ingredient. Look for PABA-free on the labels. (I use a certain Neutrogena) My DD and I both have severe allergic reactions to sunscreen if it has PABA in it. I can spend several nights being up itching like a dog with fleas! As your pharmacist about the other names on labels that are actually PABA (it's para something or other - I can't recall at the moment). Stay away from those also.

Try to avoid "waterproof" sunscreens. I don't know if they have PABA in them but they certainly trap the moisture in your own body which can lead to prickly heat. I'd much rather re-apply than be itchy-scratchy, yuck.

I like having moleskin as well - even shoes that have been comfortable can rub you the wrong way if they get damp or you walk more than usual.

I take a small tin of Vaseline and apply when/if the rubbing starts, it stops the blisters developing.

I always take first aid items withme on every trip! I take most of the items that everyone else posted, but one thing I take that I don't think has been listed is a dental repair kit. It would be a temporary fix for a lost crown or a lost filling! Never know when you might need it!

I always take first aid items withme on every trip! I take most of the items that everyone else posted, but one thing I take that I don't think has been listed is a dental repair kit. It would be a temporary fix for a lost crown or a lost filling! Never know when you might need it!

that would probably be a good thing to have in real life as well. [RTR]

everything is in a ziplock pint bag - wow, that takes up SO MUCH space.

My dress clothes consist of more than one would wear dancing around a pole. Maybe I will see some folks dressed in formal wear that takes up </= to my baggy - I'll have my camera ready and will share.

Please do not attribute any perceived insult to people who dance around poles - I'm just comparing the amount of clothing required to get me to the MDR to the space allotted to my personal OTC baggy.

And my formal wear is totally decent (and elegant) too. One Ao Dai, plus a silk top and a chiffon jacket to go with the satin pants for a second outfit. Weighs a few ounces and can easily even fit the gallon sized bag in the carry on.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_dai

I have found few people recognize the dress, and those who do seem thrilled.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Not only do I pack Imodium, but also Phillips as well. Who wants to spend their vacation on a toilet?

Other things that I've not seen mentioned:

Eye glass repair kit

Non-DEET bug spray (allergic to DEET - burns my skin)

Bug bite stick

I don't usually give personal health advice on HAL threads - but because of first hand knowledge of sunscreen allergies I hate to see a fellow cruiser suffer. May I suggest you buy a sunscreen that does not list PABA as an ingredient. Look for PABA-free on the labels. (I use a certain Neutrogena) My DD and I both have severe allergic reactions to sunscreen if it has PABA in it. I can spend several nights being up itching like a dog with fleas! As your pharmacist about the other names on labels that are actually PABA (it's para something or other - I can't recall at the moment). Stay away from those also.

Interestingly enough I get a reaction from any Neutrogena products! :( :eek: :)

And my formal wear is totally decent (and elegant) too. One Ao Dai, plus a silk top and a chiffon jacket to go with the satin pants for a second outfit. Weighs a few ounces and can easily even fit the gallon sized bag in the carry on.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_dai

I have found few people recognize the dress, and those who do seem thrilled.

Beautiful!!! I was not sure what it is called. Since my life requires very little dress up, I'm not going to be "that" elegant - sure wish I was a size 6 and could carry it off!!!

Maybe add some cough medication for the seemingly ever present cruise 'kennel cough'. We always bring a bottle of Robitussin and cough drops, especially after we paid $12 for a bottle of cough syrup on board! We also brings a small container of Vicks as the ship is so dry and this helps keep the nose moisturized and helps to prevent catching 'bugs'.