First Aid/OTC meds

Mytime2014

1st - I'm a nurse, I practically have a pharmacy of OTC meds in my work drawer...Trying to narrow it down for the cruise. The plan is a couple to a few of the following:

Zantac

Naproxen

decongestant

Benadryl

meclizine [OTC]

bandaids

nose spray

breathe right strips

lomotil

Excedrin migraine

Am I missing anything? I know I'll need the zantac and naproxen - the others are just in case. Well, my roommate will appreciate the Afrin and breathe right!!

1st - I'm a nurse, I practically have a pharmacy of OTC meds in my work drawer...Trying to narrow it down for the cruise. The plan is a couple to a few of the following:

Zantac

Naproxen

decongestant

Benadryl

meclizine [OTC]

bandaids

nose spray

breathe right strips

lomotil

Excedrin migraine

Am I missing anything? I know I'll need the zantac and naproxen - the others are just in case. Well, my roommate will appreciate the Afrin and breathe right!!

Looks good!

Edited by sapete

I personally would add either OTC or rx cortisone cream.

Last cruise I ended up with a very itchy rash ( I think related to the sunscreen I was using) that cause a war with my skin, along with the very intense Chilean summer sun. I was so glad Veendam had some for sale in the toiletry section. Oral Benadryl helped some, but it was really uncomfortable for several days.

So timely...I have a First Aid kit that includes bandages, cold/echinacea treatments , pepto-bismal, ginger drops, thermacare heat wrap, salonspa patches and soft moleskin for blisters. I need to add some of the aforementioned, when this thread is complete, I will add the missing pieces...keep,the info coming, thanks,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd take along a small gel pack that (if needed) could be cooled in the sink using ice from the ice bucket.

Great idea, we're adding a 12 day inland tour to our cruise, so a first aid kit is essential, since we can't count on the ship's dispensary.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Now I know why people have no room for formal clothing. In all my cruises I've managed to get by without most of this stuff.

I paid a bit more but bought my OTC meds in blister unit dose packs. I then cut the cards to only include the amount of meds I wanted to take. They fit into a small sandwich sized bag and were only a few ounces.

The formal wear (2 nights ) rolled and fit into a gallon sized ziplock. The shoes weighed more and took up more space. :) it can be done.

The bandaids and meclizine on your list, and the Bacitracin suggested, are all readily available on the ship (without charge). You can save those.

So much easier to save the schlep to the infirmary. I'd much rather reach into my bag and have what I want handy and there for me when I want it. :)

I personally would add either OTC or rx cortisone cream.

Last cruise I ended up with a very itchy rash ( I think related to the sunscreen I was using) that cause a war with my skin, along with the very intense Chilean summer sun. I was so glad Veendam had some for sale in the toiletry section. Oral Benadryl helped some, but it was really uncomfortable for several days.

I don't usually give personal health advice on HAL threads - but because of first hand knowledge of sunscreen allergies I hate to see a fellow cruiser suffer. May I suggest you buy a sunscreen that does not list PABA as an ingredient. Look for PABA-free on the labels. (I use a certain Neutrogena) My DD and I both have severe allergic reactions to sunscreen if it has PABA in it. I can spend several nights being up itching like a dog with fleas! As your pharmacist about the other names on labels that are actually PABA (it's para something or other - I can't recall at the moment). Stay away from those also.

I don't usually give personal health advice on HAL threads - but because of first hand knowledge of sunscreen allergies I hate to see a fellow cruiser suffer. May I suggest you buy a sunscreen that does not list PABA as an ingredient. Look for PABA-free on the labels. (I use a certain Neutrogena) My DD and I both have severe allergic reactions to sunscreen if it has PABA in it. I can spend several nights being up itching like a dog with fleas! As your pharmacist about the other names on labels that are actually PABA (it's para something or other - I can't recall at the moment). Stay away from those also.

That's good info on the sunscreen. I seem to get a rash from some of them and I thought it was just me. Thanks for sharing.

Saline nose spray and saline eye drops (whatever you use at home - I have some that work with my contacts). Especially if you're flying to keep you from drying out. If I'm planning on a lot of walking, I'll throw in a couple of good blister bandages.

Ok, not medicine but I like having a few packages of individual bug repellant wipes to toss in my purse - kind of like carrying an umbrella. One evening in Belgrade I ended up handing out all my spares.

editing one more time... the note about sunscreen reminded me of problems some of my friends have had on trips. I wouldn't take anything along that I haven't used before. One friend had an interesting reaction to sleep medicine taken for the first time on a long flight. I don't want any bad surprises on a trip - just good ones!

Trish

Edited by PatsyAnne