BA "lost" our luggage en route to Equinox....now what?

Kreative03

Hope you have your luggage by now! :)

For future, I have attached an example of what I stick in the front, unzipped pocket of each piece of our luggage...even our carry-on's.

I also do not put my name tag on the outside of luggage, especially when leaving my local airport. I don't want anyone handling the luggage to know that someone at our address is out-of-town. I want the airline to look inside, or you can put a note on the flip side of your name tag to look inside the luggage to find the itinerary.

We essentially do the same thing. We always have a list of the hotels, ports, dates, and any email address and phone numbers. It may sound a bit obsessive, but in the world of airline travel, it's better to have all situations covered in advance.

You really have my sympathies. We were without 2 large suitcases last year on Infinity and we hadn't even flown anywhere. It really is a horrible situation to be in. Splitting our clothes between the cases wouldn't have helped in our situation because we "lost" both! Initially the ship insisted they were on board but eventually they conceded that they most certainly weren't.:confused:

They gave us two bags containing a toothbrush each, some toothpaste, a comb, razor and deodorant (which smelled like something I clean the toilet with!). We were also given 2 Celebrity T shirts - both size XL which fitted neither of us:rolleyes:.

Our cabin steward was great, he collected our clothes each night to take to the laundry (no charge) and brought them back the following morning. OH was given free tux hire. We were given some OBC to buy clothes when we got to the first port on the 3rd day but it was Sunday and everything was closed. We wasted our next port day looking for suitable clothing - not something I intended to do on my holiday.

I do hope your luggage is reunited with quickly. It was 9 days into the cruise before we saw ours again.

So many people jump on BA / LHR in particular.

From OP

Sounds as though the problem originated in Miami.

If you booked your air package with Celebrity, then they should have the bags delivered to the ship at the next port, when they are traced.

MIA stands for "Missing In Action" not Miami Airport.[/Quote]

I stand corrected, I am fortunate to never come across MIA in that context

Edited by upwarduk

Is this an ongoing problem with BA? We were thinking of flying them to Eurpoe next year.

so sorry to the OP....my heart breaks for you. vacations are for relaxing, not hunting for your luggage. ugh.

Any airline can have issues re baggage connections. Many of the issueS are not the cause of the airline but the individual airport handlers. BA are one of the better airlines IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You really have my sympathies. ..... Splitting our clothes between the cases wouldn't have helped in our situation because we "lost" both!.
The same has also been true for us throughout the years..

Either both our checked bags arrive, or neither does. So splitting our clothes would not make any difference.

That is why we always carry on all essentials and enough clothing to get by for a few days.

The checked luggage almost always shows up eventually. In all our years of frequent travel, we have had only one instance where checked luggage was permanently lost.

We, as well as many other travelers were 'impacted' by the baggage issue at LHR on 6/25. While I ended up getting one bag out of 2, the other person I'm traveling with has thus far gotten 0. What are your best suggestions with dealing with this as we depart from a static locale tomorrow, and is anyone else in this situation?

Please, no "buy everything you need in Rome"(story not being a standard European size in anything) or a "this us why/how I only use cabin luggage retorts....the wound is still a little fresh :)

Deleted

Edited by iSailor

Although it is too late now, my wife and I always cross pack. Some of my stuff is in her suitcase and visa versa - just in case.

DON

Our last Med trip Lufthansa lost both of ours so sadly cross packing wouldn't have helped. 22 days in Europe with no luggage :eek:

So sorry to hear this happened to you and don't want to bring up something a bit painful at this time .... but we always pack half and half (each passenger) in each suitcase / carry on. If one gets lost, well, at least you have half your stuff. Again, so sorry and hope you get your belongings back asap!

I too am very sorry. No salt in the wounds for me as I feel terrible. For everyone else though. For Caribbean cruises we always back a couple changes of underwear, bathing suit, shoes and toiletries. We always cross pack our large suitcases.

For future, I have attached an example of what I stick in the front, unzipped pocket of each piece of our luggage...even our carry-on's.

I also do not put my name tag on the outside of luggage, especially when leaving my local airport. I don't want anyone handling the luggage to know that someone at our address is out-of-town. I want the airline to look inside, or you can put a note on the flip side of your name tag to look inside the luggage to find the itinerary.

I think you have a lot more confidence than I do that someone would search inside your luggage for this info if your bag became lost and/or if the airline tags fell off.

I put a tag on the outside which has my name, address, cell phone number, pre-cruise hotel itinerary, and cruise ship name with sailing date and port of embarkation. My goal is to make it easy for someone to find out who the luggage belongs to and to track me down if it becomes lost - although I have not lost a bag yet.

I guess that I consider the risk of lost luggage significantly higher than the risk of a thief targeting my home based on a luggage tag.

And to the OP, Kreative03: Best of luck to you. If you haven't yet left Rome for the cruise ship when you see this: Perhaps you can call your transportation company if you have a ride arranged and ask if they can suggest a place to stop on the way to the port to pick up some items. I've found the stores in the Rome City center proper appear limited and expensive for the most part. With the port so far away it seems there might be a more reasonable shopping location to pick up some essentials off the tourist track in such a major metro area as Rome.

Edited by Lsimon

I think you have a lot more confidence than I do that someone would search inside your luggage for this info if your bag became lost and/or if the airline tags fell off.

I put a tag on the outside which has my name, address, cell phone number, pre-cruise hotel itinerary, and cruise ship name with sailing date and port of embarkation. My goal is to make it easy for someone to find out who the luggage belongs to and to track me down if it becomes lost - although I have not lost a bag yet.

I guess that I consider the risk of lost luggage significantly higher than the risk of a thief targeting my home based on a luggage tag.

I am not sure about the relative risks but you can avoid both by a small investment in luggage tags where your address is hidden from casual inspection.

We use ones which can hold a number of different "labels" inside a plastic capsule. I make one for each leg of our trip and rotate them as we arrive at each destination [pre-flight hotel, pre-cruise hotel, cruise, post-cruise hotel, home]. If our luggage goes astray, the necessary people can see where will were heading and where we are going next. Each contains our mobile 'phone number

Edited by Project_gal

Hope this all worked out ok.

Let me raise the idea of traveling with NO checked bags. I've only done two cruises, one for 2 weeks and one for 10 days, and my wife and I took 1 carry on each, each time, no problem. Have done several land vacations abroad, multiple counties, one carry on each. Domestically, I have nor checked a bag in 8 years. It real lumpy can be done. I was turned in to thus by onebag dot com and if you read all through it, you can do this too.

- Joel

Thanks for sharing. I never thought of putting our itinerary in the luggage, but it makes so much sense.

We also put Celebrity's luggage Tags on before we get on the plane along with a copy of our itinerary. They give you lots so we can replace any that are damaged before we board. I have confirmed with all the airlines that we have flown with that neither the tag or barcode interfere with the airlines baggage system. If my luggage is delayed we want it sent to the ship and not to our home address lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also talk to other passengers once you get on board. I am a chronic over packer and if I met someone (about my size) who'd lost their luggage I could have given them a dress or two to wear. I had stuff I didn't even wear on the trip. :rolleyes:

That's just me. I don't know if I would ask to borrow clothes straight out but tell your story and someone like me might offer something.

I purchased a few trackdot devices but it was brand new and the batteries didn't last long enough for the trip. They are supposed to have fixed the issue and are replacing the first generation with the updated versions.

They have worked on shorter trips and its kinda cool to be on the plane while boarding and use your cell phone to see if your luggage is on the plane with you!

I'm sorry about your troubles and while the wound is fresh now make the best of it and think of it as a funny story to tell later.

I do the 1/2 packing thing too but as others stated it doesn't always work. In my carry on I keep another days clothes so at least I have two items to wear. I have been luckily and I have never had a bag get lost yet.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app