westerdam fire

It's 5:20 am n Seattle and the sun is up. Ship is still in port though despite having been cleared to continue a few hours ago. Hope my honeymooners got some sleep after all the excitement. Since they will be departing in daylight, should be a beautiful cruise up through the Sound.

Our friends are onboard! She emailed me last night a couple of times but I haven't heard anything since her last email when they had just arrived back into Seattle. She said there were some fire trucks on the Pier waiting for them.

They were on Lido listening to Music after Sail Away about an hour out when they became aware and an hour later they turned around and headed back to Seattle. She said they didn't smell any smoke or see anything. She also said the CD was making numerous announcements letting everyone know what was going on!

I'll post if I hear anything and hope someone will post, too! Hoping to hear that all is o.k. and the Ship is underway!

Hi Tracie!

Did you get a chance to call them yet? I know it's very early in the morning for them right now, so hopefully you'll speak with them before they get out of range after leaving Seattle.

Hi Dave-

I have not spoken to anyone by phone (we are a family of chronic non-answerers), but have been texting with my son. They are fine, just anxious to get going.

Thank you for asking!

I will keep you posted if I hear anything more.

TL

Thanks to all of you keeping us posted. I am watching her still sitting in Elliot Bay and am definitely hoping all is good and they leave port shortly.

My apologies for starting another thread about this, but at the time I posted I had not seen (and yes, I did look) anything about the Westerdam having a problem.

Again many thanks!!

Joanie

Hi Dave-

I have not spoken to anyone by phone (we are a family of chronic non-answerers), but have been texting with my son. They are fine, just anxious to get going.

Thank you for asking!

TL

Hi Tracie,

Glad to hear all is well. I hope they have a great, albeit shortened, cruise.

I see you're off on a cruise yourself soon, departing on my birthday. Have a toast for me. I'm actually off that weekend, celebrating the Big #55.

Now it's off to bed with myself, working 12-hour shifts the past four days and I have another one tonight. Sometimes I feel like I'm too old for this anymore. lol

;)

Hi Dave-

Thank you for asking!

TL

Thanks, Tracie, for keeping us posted! :) I'm still awaiting word from my friends but know it is still early in Seattle. Hopefully, all is o.k. so they will be underway soon!

Hi Tracie,

Glad to hear all is well. I hope they have a great, albeit shortened, cruise.

I see you're off on a cruise yourself soon, departing on my birthday. Have a toast for me. I'm actually off that weekend, celebrating the Big #55.

Now it's off to bed with myself, working 12-hour shifts the past four days and I have another one tonight. Sometimes I feel like I'm too old for this anymore. lol

;)

Hi Dave-

Happy almost birthday to you. I am not far behind. and yes, 12 hour shifts make for a long day at any age!

TL

I have been texting with my son. They are still in Seattle.

They received a letter stating they would leave before dawn, but they are still in port. They are sounding a little thin around the edges.

They just received an update. They should be leaving soon.

If they are still in port there is a number of possibilities:

1. There is more damage then originally expected.

2. They may have been awaiting the class surveyor to arrive at the vessel to do a inspection.

3. The class surveyor and therefore the USCG are, requiring whatever damage there is be repaired or at least the parts be onboard to do the repairs, prior to the vessel sailing.

4. They maybe awaiting the repairs to be completed prior to sailing.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I have been texting with my son. They are still in Seattle.

They received a letter stating they would leave before dawn, but they are still in port. They are sounding a little thin around the edges.

They just received an update. They should be leaving soon.

good to hear! I woke, flipped on the cam hoping to see them gone....

I was just on the phone with my mother when they announced:

They have been cleared by the Coast Guard to leave at 10 am. They will miss Sitka. There was a lot of apologizing.

Just thought I would share the update...