Dunno River Falls- who did you use?

fitsea

Posting this here because the Ports of Call threads are less active. We're gonna hit up DRF, but don't know who to use for the excursion. Who'd you use?

Edit: Darn autocorrect! Dunno> Dunns

Edited by fitsea

Courtney Taylor tours ( google). We did Dunns river falls as well as the river tubing. They will do a custom tour for you where you pick where you want to go. It's in a private car with driver and not a bus. We stated out shortly after the ship docked and made it to Dunns river before most of the tour busses arrived and it was a lot less crowded.

DW and I used Peat Taylor and had a great time. His tours are small groups and lots of fun. He starts out at Dunns River befor all of the other tours get there an you get to enjoy it without the crowds.

We did the ship's tour that was combined with Dolphin Cove. I think the actual tour was run by employees of Dolphin Cove. Our tour guide was terrific and the bus was new and well air conditioned. Great tour!

In March I planned to use Marva Shaw to go to DRF. She had excellent reviews on Trip Adviser. I posted on my roll call and I could not get anyone else to go with us. If I went back I would try to use her again

The comments posted about Jamaica are so negative many people will not leave the ship/port area. So we took the ships tour.

It was very good. I would not hesitiate to do this tour again, either. We were in a small 18-20 passenger van. We visited the falls and stopped at Columbus park on the way back for a restroom and food break. We bought rum punches and jerk chicken. I had a combo with jerk pork. The pork tough. But, the chicken was great and came with a type of fried bread that was sweet.

This was the location that Columbus landed. There is a small outdoor exhibit there, too.

P3140059_zpsbc477b16.jpg

P3140058_zpsbf0db72c.jpg

P3140069_zpsd0fc3fb4.jpg

Have a great trip. Jamaica is safe if you use common sense.

edit: I see that DH had a Red Strip. :o I had the rum punch.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

OP asked for advice on Dunns River Falls and was told not to go there. If anything was rude it was that

Rude??? I don't think so, it was a suggestion to go someplace else......chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The time we booked we just booked on Royals website before the cruise it was only a bit more then some third party sites. 15$ more but with Jamaica I just felt safer going with a royal excursion. But that's just me :D

We used the Royal Caribbean's excursions for our trip to Dunn's River Falls. It was a River Inner tubing, lunch at Shaw Park and climb the falls. We left from Falmouth. I'm really glad we used the ship's excursions. The ship was scheduled to leave port at 6:00 PM. We did not get back to the ship until 5:50 PM. If I had been on a private tour, I would have really been freaking out worried the ship would leave us. The tour was great and the guide was very informative. I usually look at how long an excursion takes to decide if it is worth saving money to use an independent tour or the ship's tour. I'm not sure which port you are at, but Falmouth is a distance from the falls.

On our way home from our Freedom cruise right now (😪). Used Courtney Taylor Tours and would do it again. We were a group of 12 and had an a/c van just for us. Prices beat everyone else by a mile. Loved Dunn's river, it's been on my bucket list since college.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just home from Freedom as well. We (group of 6) used Mark Morris to go to the falls and also did river tubing. It was excellent. He also took us to Scotchie's for lunch which was awesome. Mark gave us a lot of local insight and we had a great time. Highly recommend.

Just home from Freedom as well. We (group of 6) used Mark Morris to go to the falls and also did river tubing. It was excellent. He also took us to Scotchie's for lunch which was awesome. Mark gave us a lot of local insight and we had a great time. Highly recommend.

Another vote for Mark Morris. Very nice man who went out of his way to get my son a tshirt he wanted. Got it at a shop downtown instead of at the fall where the pushy sales people are. He even walked us through there. The sales people didn't even bother us. Think they were very intimidated by him. Very informative tour also.

Thanks folks! Keep em coming! I know that we wouldn't mind getting to see a little bit of Falmouth, too, so 3rd party is a little more appealing to get back sooner than Royal. Any thoughts?

We did the ships excursion for the Dunns River Falls Express trip. The express trip is only four hours as compared to the all day trip. On the express you go, climb the falls, with a quick lunch stop on the way back. You then have time to still walk around in the port area when you get back. We enjoyed it a lot! The express is my suggestion if all you want to do is climb the falls and then come back to the port! :cool:

Edited by bigque

Dudley with Big Ship Tours. He's VERY highly rated on Trip Advisor. Wonderful time! Took us around Falmouth and Ochos Rios. Stopped to get Blue Mountain Coffee and took us to Scotchies for lunch. AMAZING!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147313-d1174541-Reviews-Big_Ship_Private_Tours-Negril_Westmoreland_Parish_Jamaica.html

My impression is that it is a trip to the Falls preceded by brief swings by two historical landmarks. Other (RCI) excursions swap out the landmarks for trip to caves or plantations. Having never been on any of these, though, I'm hardly an expert.