Trevi Fountain undergoing restoration

cruisemom42

In 2012, there were some news stories about Trevi Fountain "falling apart" because chunks of plaster and masonry were falling off. Whether the weather was to blame (as the official Italian version says) or whether it was neglect, there was clearly a need for restoration.

Fendi, the fashion designer, stepped forward to fund the renovations, which just got underway in June. For the next 18 months, the fountain will be undergoing restoration, as noted here:

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/lifestyle/arts/2014/06/05/restoration-begun-on-trevi-fountain_499cfddf-499e-4a2b-a72e-1cdefef7b58a.html

The fountain will be drained of water while most of the work is done, and parts of it may be under scaffolding. But every effort is being made to ensure that visitors still have some access (and I guess you can still toss a coin into the dry basin!)

While I am delighted to hear that it will be repaired thus ensuring many more years of enjoyment for those visiting in the future……..

I am bummed that when we visit late April next year it will be empty and not running. We are taking ds and dil for a late wedding present and law school graduation gift and I don't think it will be quite the same experience :(

I too am glad that they have started the work and I thank you for posting this.

And if the work is projected to take 18 months it could likely take longer as many construction projects around the world do but thankfully it will preserve something very special.

Keith

It was a disappointment. We didn't realize it was under renovation and were there yesterday. It was really difficult to see anything with all of the scaffolding but I totally understand the need for renovation. I guess we will just have to come back! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were there last week for our first visit, and it was a major disappointment. The Trevi Fountain was to be one of our personal highlights. The wife did toss a coin into the empty pool as this is something she had built herself up to do. Will make plans to return when it is completed.

We were there for our second time last October and was much less crowded than the first visit. Was able to really enjoy it. Looks like when we return in September of 2015 it will still be under renovation. Glad to know this so I wont waste any of our precious time going to see it again.

It looks as though the Colosseum is also undergoing a major cleaning and shoring up. Parts of it will be under scaffolding as the project progresses throughout the next two years.

However, it looks as though they are only doing a section or two at a time, and the rest of the building should remain free of scaffolding, so hopefully you can still get nice views and photos.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304518704579521583112244014

We were there last October and scaffolding was already up on one section. As you commented we still got some nice pictures from the other side……..

While many tourists will be disappointed when visiting these sites….. it is imperative that the work be done to preserve these wonderful places.

23qyr7a.jpg

This is exactly as we felt! I visited Rome a few years ago with a friend, and was so excited to show my husband the Trevi Fountain. I wasn't expecting it to be under construction, so thank you for this post to prepare others!

We were in Rome year before last and saw the Trevi, then again this June and the scaffolding was up. It was evident on so many faces that they weren't prepared and didn't realize it would be drained with the scaffolding. We actually saw a proposal in front of the scaffolding. I'm sure that's not how the young man had planned to propose. The Coloseum was also mired by the scaffolding at points.

We were just there on Thursday. A major disappointment! There is a small fountain filled with water that you throw your coins in. Interestingly, they seem to be constructing a cat walk from one side of the fountain to the other. Made of metal and glass it will put you closer to the actual sculptures. Just hoping that they don't charge people for this and that it will be removed once the work is completed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

At least they are working hard on this….. or so it looks. Maybe they will finish earlier than originally planned. Hope so - we have until late next April before we visit again….. this time with son and his wife. She has been - he has not.