Alaska Booking Advice

Jane2357

I've land toured Alaska before in the month June, weather was lovely but I'd really like to avoid the summer vacation months to avoid a large number of children on the ship. What advice can someone offer as to a May or September Alaska cruise? Also I'm pouring over threads and reviews but if you have done one of the Alaskan Cruise Tours can you tell me which one you took and if you recommend it - there are so many options out there. Will Alaska 2016 open for booking around Feb/March of 2015? Thank you.

The challenge with September can be rain (but we all know that often you can throw out historical weather patterns in the trash) but the biggest drawback is less daylight in the month of September.

My preference would be May.

Keith

I have cruised to Alaska in both May and September. We lucked out and had mostly good weather both times. I preferred May because there was more snow still in the mountains, so the scenery was a bit more spectacular. I have not done a Cruisetour.

Carolyn

We have done the Alaska trip twice, both times the end of August, first of September. Loved going at that time. We were lucky with the weather, very little rain, sunny days, no crowds, animals very active as they are getting ready for winter!! Lots of good 'end of the tourist year' sales if you are a shopper.

We did cruise tour with Celebrity the first time...flew into Fairbanks and took a week to work our way to Seward to board the ship. Second time we flew into Fairbanks on our own...and took another week to get to Seward for a RC cruise. Both times our cruise ended in Vancouver...another plus as we really enjoyed that area as well.

Our 1st Alaska cruise was a Northbound from Vancouver beginning August 26. We did a land tour which involved a flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks as part of the tour then southward by train over 3 days, with breakfast one day, lunch the next & dinner the last day on the train. The tour ended in Anchorage and we flew home from there. I don't think Celebrity offers this particular land tour any more. But, you can do the same tour by starting in Fairbanks, taking the train south for 3 days and cruising from Seward. We are on this tour in less than 3 weeks, it is 8B for 2014.

We enjoyed the time on the train and had a full day in Denali for the Tundra Wilderness tour. The hotel in Denali was shutting down for the season and they seemed surprised to see us in the restaurant after the TWT, but they coped. Weather was cool but dry & sunny most days, very cold at the glaciers some rain in Ketchikan which is to be expected. Whale watching was a disappointment, it was foggy and very overcast the 2 times we went and we did not get any good whale sightings. There were no children on the land tour and very few on the ship. I'm expecting more this time but wanted to experience Alaska in the summer.

Mary Lou

Living in the Pacific Northwest you learn that you can never predict the weather, so you prepare for anything! Layers and waterproof jackets. We've cruised to Alaska many times (love those last minute "Tuesday Specials"), May, June, July, August, and September. I agree with you that the summer school vacation months had many more children onboard (obviously) and thus a very different vibe on the ship. While not a predictor for your trip, we had much better weather on our May cruises than on any of the others. Weather aside, our favorite time to go is September after schools are back in session, and as a previous poster mentioned, things are winding down and you'll find great sales both on the ship and in the ports. In fact, we're going again this year leaving Seattle on August 29th!

May and Sept are the only months we have cruised Alaska. We lucked it out with both and got mostly sun. It always rains in Ketchikan though and we did get a shower or two there.

We also always go to Alaska in Sept, but strayed once and booked a trip in early May. We have just booked out next cruise up there for mid-Sept ...but have found the weather is usually perfect in early Sept...but as another poster mentioned, you really cannot count on it.

The time we went in May, we had absolutely gorgeous weather. Embarking on this cruise in San Francisco, we were amazed it was a very warm 87 degrees when we set sail. For those that live around here, we can honestly say that was a rarity for May. You just never know. We had excellent weather except for the day at the glacier, which was gray, cold and rainy. Sitka was downright chilly but the other ports of call were absolutely gorgeous. Some friends left a few days after us on a Princess cruise and we met up in Sitka. They stated their cruise was so cool with lots of rain....so quite a difference a few days made. We still laugh that our cruise had picture perfect weather until we met up with them in Sitka. Heck, we sat out in our shorts and t-shirts until 8 PM on our balcony some evenings.

We've sailed up to Alaska 7 times in Sept, once in mid-Sept and the other times in early Sept. The early Sept cruises were also very rare, no rain in any port and with this last Sept, I never put my jacket on once but did use an entire tube of sunblock. On this one, we sat out on our balcony with our wet bathing suits on and it was downright warm, if not hot out. The mid-Sept, the weather was quite different -- very cold and windy with a mix of rainy and sunny days. One of the best cruises ever though, so didn't let a little weather get us down.

The best thing about the May cruise is all the whales we saw just while sailing. Plus, it was still light out at the time we were finishing up dinner - which was about 10:30 PM. That was pretty awesome. We actually saw whales while eating dinner in the MDR.

While cruises up to Alaska now start up in April, I would still go for the May or Sept, with Sept being my first choice. I am with you, I like going once the kids are all back in school. You can also get some amazing discounts on souvenirs and such in Sept...think nice jackets and sweatshirts for a fraction of the price. I think the bookings for cruises for next year for Alaska are already open -- not sure about cruise tours, though.

May or June would be our choice. We have done both and thought we saw more wildlife in June. We did see lots of wales in the first part of September.

Did enjoy the extra daylight in June.............June would be our vote.:)

June is not an option for us as I chose to try to not sail with too many children - so the big vacation months of June, July, and most of August are out. I'll consider early May or late August or September, leaning towards September. :D

Our British Isles cruise is Aug. 8, '15 and I fear the number of children on that cruise but really wanted that itinerary and I don't hate children in general just not a fan of them on cruise ships as we've had some bad experiences.

Did a 14 night Alaska cruise (R/T Vancouver) on Diamond Princess last September 1-14.

Absolutely LOVED it, no kids, great "end of season" rate, one day of fog in the straights before Ketchikan, and only one day of showers. (In Seward)

Incredible views of glaciers and wildlife. Whales, Orcas, otters, bears, goats.

Lots of "end of season closeout sales" in the stores ashore as well.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

June is not an option for us as I chose to try to not sail with too many children - so the big vacation months of June, July, and most of August are out. I'll consider early May or late August or September, leaning towards September. :D

Our British Isles cruise is Aug. 8, '15 and I fear the number of children on that cruise but really wanted that itinerary and I don't hate children in general just not a fan of them on cruise ships as we've had some bad experiences.

I totally understand the whole "no kids" thing... my husband and I are taking our honeymoon cruise to Alaska and embarking on May 1, 2015. We figured that would be our best bet to avoid as many children as possible (lol) and also to catch some cold(er) weather. Most kids aren't out of school until at least late May, and they don't go back to school until August/very early September... I hope you find the cruise you're looking for! Good luck and safe travels.