Last Minute Upgrade Purchase

MTNestr

Sometimes people are called by Princess with what is known as an "Upsell Offer". It seems limited to people whose current cabins are likely to resell. Those already booked are given an opportunity to move up at a reduced price.

That said, you could always call and ask if there's an opportunity for your cabin type.

I believe you will be charged the difference between what you paid for your cabin and the current price of the one you want to upgrade to
Right. You can upgrade yourself after final payment but it'll be at the full fare for the cabin you want to book.

If cabins aren't selling well, Princess will have a "Flash" sale at reduced prices, but those are for new bookings only. You'd have to cancel, take the penalty, and re-book.

Carnival Corporation is changing it's booking philosophy for it's brands and I think we'll see fewer Flash sales. It seems that they would rather sail partially empty than reduce prices. From what I've read, that'll apply to Carnival and Princess.

Right. You can upgrade yourself after final payment but it'll be at the full fare for the cabin you want to book.

If cabins aren't selling well, Princess will have a "Flash" sale at reduced prices, but those are for new bookings only. You'd have to cancel, take the penalty, and re-book.

Carnival Corporation is changing it's booking philosophy for it's brands and I think we'll see fewer Flash sales. It seems that they would rather sail partially empty than reduce prices. From what I've read, that'll apply to Carnival and Princess.

That's really unfortunate! I'm betting we won't be seeing the great promotion on the short getaway cruises either! I know that I can do a 10 day Mexico cruise for a little more than for the Pacific Coastal cruise I originally booked because fares haven't gone down but the ship is definitely far from full.

I think we may be seeing those flash fares again next year though!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

I think it will depend how full the ship is. With 1% or 2% cabins unsold, they may not lower the price. With 10% or more unsold, I suggest there will still be good flash sales.

Edited by caribill

I noticed that our cruise (five weeks from today) has a lot of availability. I did wait until after the final payment date to book, but the price has not come down since then. The cruise that leaves next Saturday does have some better prices for certain categories, but I don't think I could wait that late to book a cruise.