What is considered a tshirt

At work for smart casual i might wear a long sleeve shirt as shown in the link below (black, navy blue, charcoal grey etc...) with a pair of dress pants, sometimes i even wear them with a suit.

Have upcoming Med cruise is on Celebrity Equinox and I read on the celebrity site that t-shirts are not permitted in the MDR, would this be considered unacceptable in the MDR?

http://www.hm.com/us/product/99841?article=99841-Z#article=99841-C

large]

Edited by canuckinindia
added cruise details

A tee shirt is like an undershirt (with neckband and arms) but in a heavier material...they are fine for breakfast and lunch in the dining room...as long as you don't have silly/ugly/offensive stuff written on the shirt!! (Many do wear those shirts...so just wanted to mention it!)

My experience is limited to RCI and that is certainly not a t-shirt.

However, when I hear/read "smart casual" I think "county club dinner attire". Over the years we have belonged to a couple and I have gone to several others with friends and that shirt (even with a jacket) would look out of place there...in my opinion.

YMMV

It's an interesting question generally.......if there are no buttons or collar on a top, does that make it a t-shirt? Does it matter what the material is, or whether it's a scoop neck, crew neck, boatneck, or v-neck? Is a v-neck top with no buttons a t-shirt, regardless of whether it's in cotton or silk?

I've wondered that a lot - I mostly wear what I call t-shirts because I don't like full-length button shirts (i.e. blouses), but none of them are like men's undershirts or athletic shirts. They are better material, better colours, and better fit, but since they're not a blouse or a polo shirt, I think of them as t-shirts.

For instance, Jones NY calls this a "silk shell", but I still think it's a t-shirt:

PG.10428643.JJH95A1.PZ.jpg?sw=65&sh=65

My experience is limited to RCI and that is certainly not a t-shirt.

However, when I hear/read "smart casual" I think "county club dinner attire". Over the years we have belonged to a couple and I have gone to several others with friends and that shirt (even with a jacket) would look out of place there...in my opinion.

YMMV

Your definition of smart casual is spot on. The true definition of smart casual includes a blazer and an optional tie.

It's an interesting question generally.......if there are no buttons or collar on a top, does that make it a t-shirt? Does it matter what the material is, or whether it's a scoop neck, crew neck, boatneck, or v-neck? Is a v-neck top with no buttons a t-shirt, regardless of whether it's in cotton or silk?

I've wondered that a lot - I mostly wear what I call t-shirts because I don't like full-length button shirts (i.e. blouses), but none of them are like men's undershirts or athletic shirts. They are better material, better colours, and better fit, but since they're not a blouse or a polo shirt, I think of them as t-shirts.

For instance, Jones NY calls this a "silk shell", but I still think it's a t-shirt:

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... ;) That said, I can't imagine someone in a silk t with a blazer over it being turned away from any MDR. They'd be better dressed than many.

Also, women's fashions are a bit different then men's, and the shirt in that link would be fine with slacks or a skirt and a scarf or some nice jewelry in the MDR except on formal night.

Edited by ducklite

I wouldn't consider this a t-shirt really and put together with dress pants, capris or a skirt and jewelry it would look fine on casual nights.

The shirt in the OP's photo is known as a Henley which is characterized by the partial buttoned opening. While not a traditional T-shirt, the Henley does not have a collar such as a traditional polo shirt would have. I don't know why, but a collared shirt is seen as less casual than either a simple T-shirt or a Henley. My sons had to wear uniforms at their school and the rule strictly required a collared shirt.

If you want to be "country-club casual", choose the traditional collared polo shirt such as a Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Land's End and LL Bean. If you like long sleeves, such shirts can be found with long sleeves though it might be harder to find them during the summer.

Edited by Gangway Style

Yes, it is a long sleeve Henley.

You'll be fine wearing that with a nice pair of dockers/trousers.

I agree with the above poster to take a look at long sleeve Ralph Lauren Polo jerseys. I found some brand new ones on e-bay. They sell for about $89 in Polo stores but I got great buys..... tags still on and they're great.

Bloomingdales,, Macy's, Dillards and such stores sell them.

Edited by sail7seas

From my experience, Celebrity considers a t-shirt to be a traditional t-shirt (i.e. a looser fitting shirt that has no collar and short sleeves. Usually with logos or graphics on the front). The best example I can think of is the shirts that people wear to support their favorite sports team or the ones people would wear to the gym.

The above described t shirts are fine in the MDR for breakfast and lunch.

The shirt the OP posted and ones like the picture in post #8 are fine at anytime except formal nights.

The shirt in the OP's photo is known as a Henley which is characterized by the partial buttoned opening. While not a traditional T-shirt, the Henley does not have a collar such as a traditional polo shirt would have. I don't know why, but a collared shirt is seen as less casual than either a simple T-shirt or a Henley. My sons had to wear uniforms at their school and the rule strictly required a collared shirt.

If you want to be "country-club casual", choose the traditional collared polo shirt such as a Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Land's End and LL Bean. If you like long sleeves, such shirts can be found with long sleeves though it might be harder to find them during the summer.

LL Bean sells Henleys year round. They aren't in the paper catalogue but are on the web site, or you can call to inquire.

If the dress code on specifies no t-shirts, the Henley would be fine. If it requires a collared shirt, it would not. Splitting hairs? IMHO a Henley is really more of a winter style, and I think a polo looks nicer in short sleeves, but it does appear that this short would fit the X dress code for casual nights in the MDR.