Disappointed by Norwegian

stanw

Just got my email from Norwegian that our Sept. 29,2014 Pacific Coast cruise will NOT include a stop in San Francisco. Instead we will be stopping in(hold your breath) Astoria, Oregon. I had a suite on the front of the boat just to be able to see the Goldengate Bridge and pffft, gone up in smoke. NCL says it is a berthing issue. Seems a company that size would know well in advance of this issue. I'll be suggesting to folks they try another cruise line that has a clue.

Just got my email from Norwegian that our Sept. 29,2014 Pacific Coast cruise will NOT include a stop in San Francisco. Instead we will be stopping in(hold your breath) Astoria, Oregon. I had a suite on the front of the boat just to be able to see the Goldengate Bridge and pffft, gone up in smoke. NCL says it is a berthing issue. Seems a company that size would know well in advance of this issue. I'll be suggesting to folks they try another cruise line that has a clue.

NCL doesn't control the port or the piers. Most likely there is an issue beyond their control. Why would they cut out San Francisco, the highlight of the itinerary on purpose?

I do understand your disappointment though.

Cities close piers (roads, et. al.) all the time for maintenance and such and I doubt NCL is happy about it either.

While companies do their best at long range plans, what government organization have you ever dealt with that plans well? For me, none. Roads closed in my home town for routine maintenance two weeks before school closes. Hello DPW? Busses? Wait two weeks and bus and car traffic drops by x%. Most government agencies don't have a clue. They don't have to. We have no options.

My guess is that if NCL was impacted, others may be as well. Company size has nothing to do with advance notification.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by TravelJoe

Could happen to any cruise line. Heck, it happened to our ship in the Navy. We were scheduled to pull into Barcelona for a port call and when we arrived at the harbor we found out that the harbor master had misread our berthing request and didn't have a berth big enough for us. We ended up diverting to Cartagena instead.

Can you leave one day earlier on the Pearl instead of the Sun? Then you can experience the lovely Port of Astoria in Oregon and San Francisco.

I understand your disappointment, but please try to keep in in preceptive. You have been given this info well in advance, so you can alter your plans or cancel if that is what you wish.

Such changes more often happen with almost no notice. for example, high winds, heavy fog, sea conditions and such can keep a ship out of port with only hours of notice. even port or shoreside conditions can arise last minute (fires, spills, stranded ship/barge); anything can come up. for that reason, the cruiselines retain the right to change itineraries on the fly...read your NCL cruise contract. not just NCL, other lines have similar contracts. If you cannot live with such changes, frankly, you should select a different vacation option over a cruise.

I don't think there are any suitable berths south of the Bay Bridge. NCL (and others) often dry dock ships down that way, but there are no passenger loading berths there and shoreside support infrastructure would be woefully inadequate to support passengers in that area.

In September, San Francisco will have three cruise ship berths... 35 N and S, and 27.

Speller isn't correct either.

For 5 night Coastal Cruise on Pearl in 2012 we docked by ATT baseball patk which is on the other side of the Bay Bridge.

A Disney and Princess ship were at pier 35.

Well there went my plans. I've been waiting to book the Sun Pacific Coastal for this September. I've been eyeing that sailing because it was a ship we haven't sailed on, and because of the stop in San Francisco, and Seattle instead of Astoria. We did the Jewel Pacific Coastal two years ago and really don't need to see Astoria again, but want to try sailing to San Fran again because last time it was socked in with fog both coming and going. And were on the Pearl to Alaska last year for the second time so don't need to sail that ship again so soon. This really stinks. No, I didn't have anything booked, but I had a plan and now that's out the window. :mad: Would be nice if NCL would get the website updated just to put that final nail in the coffin where my dead plan now lies. :rolleyes:;):D

Speller isn't correct either.

For 5 night Coastal Cruise on Pearl in 2012 we docked by ATT baseball patk which is on the other side of the Bay Bridge.

A Disney and Princess ship were at pier 35.

"baseball park". Strike 3 Susie, I would just quit. lol :D

(Just kidding)

Edited by ColinIllinois

I'm taking my sister and my mom on this cruise. It's my sister's first cruise. Her daughter wants to attend University of SF next year. Oh, and did I mention we live in Oregon? So I'm not thrilled about this change at all. But we've purchased airline tickets and Amtrak tickets and paid for our hotel. So, we will make the most of it and likely spend the day in Astoria aboard ship. I've asked my PCC if he can send some love my way, but I don't expect anything. And I will still love my cruise.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I totally realize it's not the Golden Gate Bridge, but you will sail under the Megler Bridge going into Astoria. Small consolation prize, but... something? Maybe it'll even have the fog.

Also, not sure on your schedule but I know one NCL cruise we did from Seattle on the West Coast reposition (I think it was on the Pearl; we've done two) was supposed to stop in Astoria and we were booked to go see the show "Shanghaied in Astoria", which usually runs at night but might have been doing special shows for the cruise? (http://astorstreetoprycompany.com/shanghaied-in-astoria/)

I've seen the show a number of times (I went to high school in Astoria) and it's very funny and if you're just not finding anything else to do in the city, I'd suggest looking into the show. If not that, a trip up to Astor Column takes like 5 minutes and it's a pretty good view from way up there. Also, if you're an 80s movie fan, the locals can point out the Goonies house, where Short Circuit was filmed (Number 5 Alive!) and, for those really into obscure box office fun, where Arnold Schwartzenegger filmed Kindergarten Cop.

Ironically on our trip, stormy seas made us have to skip Astoria at the last minute. It was a bummer, would have been nice to see the old stomping grounds once again.

At least you will be able to see all of Astoria. Not a chance you could see all of SF. Astoria also has a nice long bridge over the Columbia.

It stinks that your itinerary changed. I've only been to SF once for only 4 days, and it wasn't enough to experience the city. Stopping on a cruise for a few hours? No way. You might think you're going to miss SF, but really you won't miss much, because there's just not enough time. You are in Oregon? Take a land trip to San Francisco if you can. That would be light years better than a cruise stop.

I can certainly understand your disappointment. As much as we think Astoria is a great port, it certainly isn't San Francisco. As for NCL knowing, my guess, they did not; this is the decision of the port authority and the city, not NCL. I don't think I would base my future decision to cruise on a ship based on one port, plus, do you realize how few ships even stop in San Francisco?