Good Resturant in Copenhagen?

Can anyone who has visited Copenhagen recommend a good restaurant that is not too far from where the HAL ships dock? We will overnight at the end of the Baltic Adventure cruise, and DW wants to eat at good restaurant that

is not too expensive.

We will appreciate any information that anyone would care to share.

InfrequentCruisers

There are several at Tivoli we used to enjoy.

Divan II was one I remember but it's been a while. Read the reviews carefully.

Tivoli is charming at night with the twinkly lights. :)

HERE IS a list of what is a Tivoli. A Copenhagen native suggested Brdr Price, but we haven't been there yet. The 100 to 175 DKK range ($18.50 to $32.50) is before VAT and surcharge if you use a credit card.

Divan II that Sail mentioned is 285 to 535 DKK ($52 to $99) for main courses, 535 to 895 ($99 to $165) for fixed-price dinners. Before VAT and surcharge. A bit rich for my wallet! :)

Edited by catl331

Can anyone who has visited Copenhagen recommend a good restaurant that is not too far from where the HAL ships dock? We will overnight at the end of the Baltic Adventure cruise, and DW wants to eat at good restaurant that

is not too expensive.

We will appreciate any information that anyone would care to share.

InfrequentCruisers

I'll speak to my Norwegian Friend this weekend, who knows CPH well, as she's retired from SAS..

She goes back home every two years but often spends a couple of nights in CPH to see her SAS Friends..She may know of a restaurant in CPH which is not too expensive...

HERE IS a list of what is a Tivoli. A Copenhagen native suggested Brdr Price, but we haven't been there yet. The 100 to 175 DKK range ($18.50 to $32.50) is before VAT and surcharge if you use a credit card.

Divan II that Sail mentioned is 285 to 535 DKK ($52 to $99) for main courses, 535 to 895 ($99 to $165) for fixed-price dinners. Before VAT and surcharge. A bit rich for my wallet! :)

Yes, it is costly but we had at least two dinners there during various visits to Copenhagen and left happy. :) We deemed it worth it but that, of course, is so subjective. Few eat that way every night on vacation but we always did at least a few nights during our trips.

One of those trips to Copenhagen, we really went 'over the top' and stayed in Hotel D'Angleterre. THAT was amazing! So much history there; so much elegance. That was a real treat.

Edited by sail7seas

Can anyone who has visited Copenhagen recommend a good restaurant

If you're willing to visit Nyhavn, DW and I had an excellent dinner at Cap Horn (http://www.caphorn.dk), but also had a fine meal at the less-expensive and less-touristy Cafe Optimisten (http://www.optimisten.org). If you eat at Optimisten, make sure to take a stroll across the bridge to admire the view down Nyhavn and then hit the ice cream shop in the basement once you get to the other side for a satisfying dessert. A picture from that bridge at sunset:

Nyhavn_Sunset.jpg.1f3f3b39f9ddd492535faf755f085fa0.jpg

If you're willing to visit Nyhavn, DW and I had an excellent dinner at Cap Horn (www.caphorn.dk), but also had a fine meal at the less-expensive and less-touristy Cafe Optimisten (www.optimisten.org). I

Nyhavn has got their own homepage with links to 24 restaurants.

http://nyhavn.com/restaurants/

Want a good beef?

http://www.jensens.com/raadhuspladsen

I the middle of town, Jensens Beefhus is close to Tivoli,

http://www.tivoli.dk/en/haven/spisesteder/

Want to try something different?

A Michelin restaurant?

http://noma.dk/food-and-wine/

Wants some rock and roll?

http://www.hardrock.com/cafes/copenhagen/

Or you can do the same thing as everybody else.........'

Walk Stroget up and down and choose the place that you like.....

http://stroget-kobenhavn.dk/language/en.html#

Under FOOD you will find a lot of different places....

And of course, you can do something so different that most tourists haven't even heard about it.....

http://www.dfdsseaways.dk/minicruise/rockcruise/

You can take the cruiseferry from Copenhagen to Oslo and back again and eat onboard there, see Oslo and eat your self back to Copenhagen again......:D

Already mentioned here, but not only a Michelin star (2) restaurant, but also voted (four times) the best restaurant in the world, Noma, just across from Nyhaven!

Is this an in-expensive restaurant, which the OP has asked about ? Unfortunately there are no prices quoted on their menu's..

IMO most restaurants in CPH are very expensive, but I could be wrong..

Will check with our SAS retired Friends this weekend..

BTW when I first worked in the airline field, I worked for SAS & took my first trip to Europe many EONs ago,.. I was standby for our return flights, as were several from our U.S. offices..We ended up on standby in CPH for 5 days.. At that time none of us could afford hotel rooms, as we had spent all of our $$$ in other cities, so we slept in the airport..

They finally got an OK, from upper Mgmt. to put 10 of us on a Westbound cargo flight..I still love that city but it has always been expensive!

Edited by serendipity1499

Is this an in-expensive restaurant, which the OP has asked about ? Unfortunately there are no prices quoted on their menu's..

IMO most restaurants in CPH are very expensive, but I could be wrong..

Yes, 90% of all main restaurants in the middle of København is very, very expensive.

The 10% is places where you can buy hot-dogs. Or you can try the mac donalds.

If you want something inexpensive you have to go to f eks to places like Amager.

http://www.amagercentret.dk/butikker/cafe-cyprus

In Cyprus you get a dinnerbufet for around 50dkr, or around 8 dollar.

But of course then you need a car or a taxi, and that's very expensive again.

Thats way so many touurits are taking the cruiseferry to Oslo before their cruises. Thats the most inexpensive way to east and sleep in Købehavn, and the cruiseferry is nearby the cruiseships also.

There is nothing near the cruise ship port.

EVERYTHING in Copenhagen is expensive.

We stayed an extra day in Copenhagen after our Baltic cruise and spent the night at the Hilton Copenhagen Airport. As we were tired and both had colds we ate dinner in the bar at the hotel. A club sandiwch, a hamburger, and two small beers was close to $90!

Down at the bottom it says

Menu DKK 1.600 including 25% VAT

Wine pairing DKK 1.000 including 25% VAT

Juice menu DKK 600 including 25% VAT

That's $296, $185, and $111 respectively!! PER PERSON! :eek::eek:

Edited by catl331

There is nothing near the cruise ship port.

EVERYTHING in Copenhagen is expensive.

We stayed an extra day in Copenhagen after our Baltic cruise and spent the night at the Hilton Copenhagen Airport. As we were tired and both had colds we ate dinner in the bar at the hotel. A club sandiwch, a hamburger, and two small beers was close to $90!

That's where we will be staying too. Yesterday I took a look at the hotel's restaurant prices....:eek::eek: I think we will try to find something at Tivoli, I copied their list of restaurants given earlier in this thread. (thank you catl331) :)

By the way, how were the breakfast prices at the hotel?

Breakfast, lunch and dinner prices are all high.

Copenhagen is not a city where you will many bargains.

But it is so charming and so walkable, such a delightful place to visit, for us it was worth every penny. Just go knowing you will have to spend a few dollars more than usual and don't let it ruin your enjoyment.

When the government provides all 'needs' for the citizens, it is not free. One pays it here or they pay it there but in the end, there is no 'free'. http://www.uwgb.edu/walterl/welfare/denmark.htm

I am expressing no opinion as to whether I think it good or not.

Edited by sail7seas

Down at the bottom it says

Menu DKK 1.600 including 25% VAT

Wine pairing DKK 1.000 including 25% VAT

Juice menu DKK 600 including 25% VAT

That's $296, $185, and $111 respectively!! PER PERSON! :eek::eek:

Triple :eek::eek::eek: It's really a lot worse.. If I'm not mistaken when our Norwegian Friends end up in CPH they do take the ferry to Oslo.. In Norway it's just as expensive for them.. They take lots of things to their families which are very expensive in Norway too..

Hope to see them this weekend..

We have spent a total of five cruising days in Copenhagen on two different cruises. We loved the city to death and would go back if the opportunity were to arise. Our rule of thumb was to consider what a meal in a certain type of restaurant would cost at home and then triple it.

Accept before you go anywhere in Europe that prices are unbelievably high for anything you pay for and then just relax and enjoy your trip and all the wonderful sights you will see. If you allow yourself to be upset at the prices it will detract from your enjoyment.

Be prepared to pay for so many things that we take for granted here such as using a washroom or even adding mustard to your sandwich. Even McDonalds in some places charge for individual packets of ketchup.

We have spent a total of five cruising days in Copenhagen on two different cruises. We loved the city to death and would go back if the opportunity were to arise. Our rule of thumb was to consider what a meal in a certain type of restaurant would cost at home and then triple it

We have been to Europe many times, included two week driving tours in Spain, Italy, Germany, and 3 trips to Paris along with 2 cruises--Copenhagen seems to be one of the most expensive--in fact recently voted the most expensive city to live in.

The triple the price of what you would pay at home is good advice.

Some of our best memories are when we stop by a market, pick up some bread, cheese and meats and have a picnic -- by the Seine one day is a favorite memory of mine.

Just saying, there are ways. ;) (unless of course you wouldn't think that would be an attractive option) I actually have a much better time doing that than I do in a restaurant. :)

Rick Steves has his European Cruise port books out now, that and Trip Advisor are a big help.

Some of our best memories are when we stop by a market, pick up some bread, cheese and meats and have a picnic -- by the Seine one day is a favorite memory of mine.

Just saying, there are ways. ;) (unless of course you wouldn't think that would be an attractive option) I actually have a much better time doing that than I do in a restaurant. :)

Rick Steves has his European Cruise port books out now, that and Trip Advisor are a big help.

:) We did that with another couple in Mykonos. It was a gloriously beautiful day and none of us wanted to sit inside at a restaurant. We sat on the sea wall and drank in the beautiful setting.