Renovations underway at Sydneys Cruise Terminal

Did you know if your "retiring" you do not need to fill out one of the green customs cards..............it's called an "Outgoing "passenger card so if you are quiet and retiring..........:D:D

Some people would say that I am anything but quiet and retiring.:eek:

Hi Gbenjo,

Do you know if there will be any lounge area for RCCL diamond & above passengers included in the reno? :)

Would be nice but I don't think so, the terminal is used by different cruise companies and is only "rented" by the day so a dedicated lounge area would take up too much space .

There is still a touch of mystery as to what the final product will be so who who really knows.

I think Adelaide and Perth have great cruise terminals.

Heres a bit of nostalgisa from the History and Heritage page of the Port of Fremantle.

http://www.fremantleports.com.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Fremantle%20Passenger%20Terminal%2050%20Years%20anniversary%20booklet.PDF

2u9607s.jpg

Hi David I have many memories as a child of going down to the Freo Passenger Terminal and saying goodbye to "well off" relations. In those days we could go onto the ship and view their cabin. As kids we enjoyed it when the family cruising threw the steamers and we were able to catch them. You held on as long as you could before they broke. I remember thinking at the time - I wonder if I will ever be able to go on a cruise when I grow up! How times have changed!

From what I can tell from the plans on the Sydney Ports website, the observation deck is staying. Jen and I have been down to the OPT many times when ships have been in to have a look from that platform so I hope it does stay :)

From what I can tell from the plans on the Sydney Ports website, the observation deck is staying. Jen and I have been down to the OPT many times when ships have been in to have a look from that platform so I hope it does stay :)

Good to know, I remember farewelling people and throwing the streamers as well. Fond memories.:D

Hi Graham.

Waiting for those photos. We'll be there in December, please make sure the work is finished.:)

Took a couple today so hopefully can upload them or I will send them to David.

Can't promise too much for December but it is changing every week........it was certainly a lot cooler there this morning ...no walls ..no doors etc to the entrance section.

And for Karate Man and others YES the observation decks will DEFINATELY be staying.

Took a couple today so hopefully can upload them or I will send them to David.

Can't promise too much for December but it is changing every week........it was certainly a lot cooler there this morning ...no walls ..no doors etc to the entrance section.

And for Karate Man and others YES the observation decks will DEFINATELY be staying.

Excellent, we look forward to them.:D

OK Here is the first one (thanks Dizziedi for the upload lesson... Don't know about multiple uploads at the moment so one at a time for now :confused::confused::confused:)

This is a shot of where the two restaurants were that will now become the new disembarking ( debark) area The doors in the bottom right corner are the doors in front of the escalators

2dihh86.jpg

The new "temporary" entrance. You can see the escalators in the background............ Gee look no queues:D:D

kdv878.jpg

And an overall view from across the road

fp3xpx.jpg

And I just worked out how to upload more than one picture at a time.

Another shot looking into the old foyer area

24w98w9.jpg

Edited by gbenjo

Maybe the facade is heritage listed, the building is pretty old.:eek:

Mic, I think you may be right, I seem to recall someone from Sydney Ports saying something like that.

Knocking the whole thing down would have created even more problems as there would not be any terminal at all that they could use for the big ships for probably twelve months or more. At least we can "work around" the reno and still have ships operating out of the OPT.

Mic, I think you may be right, I seem to recall someone from Sydney Ports saying something like that.

Knocking the whole thing down would have created even more problems as there would not be any terminal at all that they could use for the big ships for probably twelve months or more. At least we can "work around" the reno and still have ships operating out of the OPT.

Yes, much better than nothing or tents or some such. It would be easier to do the renovation of half the building while customers are using the other half and then do a swap to complete the building.:D

I still think Sydney needs more than just this terminal , on this side of the Bridge. I think we need a terminal where more than one large ship can berth at a time. The growing number of cruise passengers on an annual basis suggests to me , we need to make things easier and more efficient for passengers and cruise lines. I think Station Pier in Melbourne is a case in point. We were on Diamond Princess berthed on one side and another large ship was berthed on the other side. No problems disembarking or moving around the terminal area with about 5000 passengers and terminal workers getting in and out of the area.

But where?

There is very little suitable space east of the bridge. The only really viable place is Garden Island. They could probably dock 4-5 ships there but it's already in use :(