On the Gem right now July 1st in Nassau, Bahamas.

I am on the Gem right now in Nassau, Bahamas as we have missed the private island due to horrible storms and heavy waves. We will be leaving tonight and heading back to New York in hopes of getting ahead of the storm that is forming.

All the officers and crew on board have been very accommodating to all the guests.

I applaud the crew onboard this ship as they really go out of their way to accommodate the guests and make sure they are having fun and that they are also safe.

I noticed on the gem webcam that the ship was docked in Nassau instead of GSC. Wishing you a safe travel back and hope you avoid the storm. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. I'm glad the staff has been great. I'm sailing when you return. Thanks for your update.

NHC forecasting as a tropical storm at this moment & it will impact the Carolina coasts as it slide/work its way up the coast - sea will be choppy but the GEM will handle it, and the Captain & officers on the bridge are experienced in doing these "storms"

By leaving early, she has plenty of time & distance to sail around the worst of the storm system, maybe even further out into Atlantic vs. closer to land.

A reminder that this is early in the annual Hurricane cycle/season - we just went thru a round of disaster/emergency preparedness drills & training with my voluntary first responder duties. Checked & renewed stockpile of supplies, equipment, gears & to "Go" items as we're activated as reserves for NYC during Sandy in 2012, just before we sailed on the GEM.

Nasty weather had been impacting vast stretches across the country - always be prepared for the unexpected.

I am on the Gem right now in Nassau, Bahamas as we have missed the private island due to horrible storms and heavy waves. We will be leaving tonight and heading back to New York in hopes of getting ahead of the storm that is forming.

All the officers and crew on board have been very accommodating to all the guests.

I applaud the crew onboard this ship as they really go out of their way to accommodate the guests and make sure they are having fun and that they are also safe.

pixiedustdawn,

It is nice to read about someone who has had their itinerary altered and is not complaining!

More people should remember that safety comes first!

Please enjoy the rest of your cruise!

I was wondering about this cruise. We just left the Gem on the 28th. The crew was wonderful. NHC is currently calling for a CAT 1 hurricane as it passes by me here on the Carolina coast. I was concerned due to the timing how y'all,we going to get back. Thanks for the update. Sorry your trip has been cut short.

Watching the live bridge cam, she's on her way now. Left the Nassau pier, turned around & now heading out toward sea - have a safe trip sailing up to NY.

The latest NHC forecast has the storm closest/near NY/NJ area by Friday evening after coming up the Carolina coasts, turning & spinning out to sea.

Wondering if the Gem would sailing back early & get into NY to dock at the pier ahead of the storm - sometime on Friday instead of its scheduled Saturday arrival.

We have not felt any motion onboard as we are sailing through some kind of a small storm or perhaps the tip of the large storm. Everyone onboard is in good spirits. Haven't heard many complain about the itinerary change or the weather as they have updated their Freestyle Daily for rainy weather.

I would sail with this crew through anything, they are all fantastic people!

I will try and post an update again tomorrow. :)

Wow. Good so far.

Keep us posted.

Weather here in NYC is very warm and humid. Rain moving in late this afternoon until Friday.

Safe sailing.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

We have not felt any motion onboard as we are sailing through some kind of a small storm or perhaps the tip of the large storm. Everyone onboard is in good spirits. Haven't heard many complain about the itinerary change or the weather as they have updated their Freestyle Daily for rainy weather.

I would sail with this crew through anything, they are all fantastic people!

I will try and post an update again tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the update...stay safe and enjoy the rest of your cruise..

And yes...the Gem crew is great...:D

Just pulled into port this morning. Had a wonderful cruise! We got back to NY yesterday and got to see the fireworks. Spectacular!! Captain positioned the ship perfectly so we were all able to watch the show. The officers and crew out did themselves yesterday as July 4th celebrations were in full force. What a great cruise!!

Just pulled into port this morning. Had a wonderful cruise! We got back to NY yesterday and got to see the fireworks. Spectacular!! Captain positioned the ship perfectly so we were all able to watch the show. The officers and crew out did themselves yesterday as July 4th celebrations were in full force. What a great cruise!!

So glad you enjoyed !!!:D Welcome hone..