Back to back-2 different ship, 2 different ports

mitsugirly

I see people doing back to back cruises all the time.

I was considering (since they have the KSF promo going on right now), booking a B2B doing 2 different ships from 2 different ports.

I already have the Sun booked for November (leaving from Tampa) and I was considering adding on a Sky cruise (from Miami) the day after that.

Has anyone done something like this? How did it work out?

What would be the best way to get from Tampa to Miami?

My only concern with a "short" cruise is that I have read about them being a "party" cruise. Any thoughts on this? Anyone been on the Sky 4 day cruise and felt that it was a party ship?

The Sky would be a port intensive cruise, so maybe it won't be that bad since they are in a port every day??? They also go to Grand Bahama (which I have never been to) and also to GSC (which I have wanted to go back to)...and then Nassau.

It just seems like it would be an awesome vacation since it would actually be 2 weeks for us (leaving on Saturday for Tampa, getting on the Sun on Sunday and returning that following Sunday, then getting on the Sky on Monday and returning that Friday), or 1 day shy of 2 weeks. It would save a ton on airfare as well since we're already there. :D

I'm open to thoughts, concerns, advice and any info you would like to tell me about. :)

With the number of cruises under your belt I would think you could answer this better than the rest of us.

But - since you asked.

First off, this is far from being called B2B. You are going on two cruises that happen to about the same time.

Tampa to Miami is not right next door. Getting there would probably be best via rental car.

As you mentioned, the Sky is for shorter cruises. Personally (since you asked), anything under 7 days is not a real cruise in my book. I think it would be a let down after being on a "regular" cruise.

But, since you have been on many cruises, you would know what works for you.

I was considering (since they have the KSF promo going on right now), booking a B2B doing 2 different ships from 2 different ports.

I already have the Sun booked for November (leaving from Tampa) and I was considering adding on a Sky cruise (from Miami) the day after that.

My only concern with a "short" cruise is that I have read about them being a "party" cruise. Any thoughts on this? Anyone been on the Sky 4 day cruise and felt that it was a party ship?

The Sky would be a port intensive cruise, so maybe it won't be that bad since they are in a port every day??? They also go to Grand Bahama (which I have never been to) and also to GSC (which I have wanted to go back to)...and then Nassau.

It just seems like it would be an awesome vacation since it would actually be 2 weeks for us (leaving on Saturday for Tampa, getting on the Sun on Sunday and returning that following Sunday, then getting on the Sky on Monday and returning that Friday), or 1 day shy of 2 weeks. It would save a ton on airfare as well since we're already there. :D

I'm open to thoughts, concerns, advice and any info you would like to tell me about. :)

Not the same, but I did something similar with the Dawn and the Sky a few years back...had a blast. Its a lot like a long cruise with a room (and ship) change in the middle!

To be perfectly honest, I had a far better time on the Sky. I think its "party" reputation is a little undeserved. In Nov, school will be in and its not peak vacation season...I would think the Mon-Fri leg will be less "party" and more "cruise" than the Fri-Mon leg.

A one-way rental car is certainly an option. Its about 5 hours between Tampa and Miami. As an alternative, there are lots of shuttle bus services (you can Google for one) running between these cities...and they are fairly cheap.

I just wanted to add my two cents. I think you do not like to repeat ships, right? I think I remember that from your review. Anyway, I agree the best way would be to disembark in TPA and rent a car for the drive to Miami. The Florida Express bus was a nightmare from Naples to Miami. November is usually a beautiful time of year down here and I think it would be fun! We were on the Sky a year or so ago and it wasn't a party ship atmosphere at all. Have fun planning. How's the ring situation?

With the number of cruises under your belt I would think you could answer this better than the rest of us.

But - since you asked.

First off, this is far from being called B2B. You are going on two cruises that happen to about the same time.

Tampa to Miami is not right next door. Getting there would probably be best via rental car.

As you mentioned, the Sky is for shorter cruises. Personally (since you asked), anything under 7 days is not a real cruise in my book. I think it would be a let down after being on a "regular" cruise.

But, since you have been on many cruises, you would know what works for you.

Since I have never done a B2B or 2 cruises put together like this, I'm really not sure what it is called?? A back to almost-day-in-between back cruise? :p

I have never been on anything under a 7 day cruise, so I really don't know what to expect from a shorter cruise. This would be my first time doing it. I had originally considered doing the Sky on (what I guess would be an actual B2B cruise) with a 3 day and a 4 day together to make it a week. But after thinking about it, I figured why not just do 2 cruises on 2 different ships. :D

We would be going to different ports than the Sun cruise, so just wondering...why do you think it would be a let down?

Grand Bahama is another word for Freeport, Bahama. If you been to Freeport before, it is the same port

Hmmm, I really can't remember if I have been to Freeport. Maybe back in the "day" I could have (in the 80's and 90's), but I know it hasn't been anything over the last 4 years. Is there anything good there to do?

Not the same, but I did something similar with the Dawn and the Sky a few years back...had a blast. Its a lot like a long cruise with a room (and ship) change in the middle!

To be perfectly honest, I had a far better time on the Sky. I think its "party" reputation is a little undeserved. In Nov, school will be in and its not peak vacation season...I would think the Mon-Fri leg will be less "party" and more "cruise" than the Fri-Mon leg.

A one-way rental car is certainly an option. Its about 5 hours between Tampa and Miami. As an alternative, there are lots of shuttle bus services (you can Google for one) running between these cities...and they are fairly cheap.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Also glad to hear that you didn't think it seem to be a party ship. I guess I didn't consider that it would be school season and off season and also with it being during the week days. Hmmm, it's sounding even better and better. :D

I just wanted to add my two cents. I think you do not like to repeat ships, right? I think I remember that from your review. Anyway, I agree the best way would be to disembark in TPA and rent a car for the drive to Miami. The Florida Express bus was a nightmare from Naples to Miami. November is usually a beautiful time of year down here and I think it would be fun! We were on the Sky a year or so ago and it wasn't a party ship atmosphere at all. Have fun planning. How's the ring situation?

Well, I have been trying not to repeat ships (although I would happily go on the Epic or the Spirit again :p) and figured I could "kill two birds with one stone" on this type of cruise (not to mention save money on another air flight ticket back to Florida).

Glad to hear you didn't think it was a party atmosphere either. That's sounding promising.

Is the Sky the Sun's sister ship? I was looking at pictures a little bit ago and it looked like they might be about the same? The one thing that did catch my eye is it looked like the kids club was the same (by that I mean they looked to be on the front of the ship and the walls were slanted and had the windows in them that almost looked like a skylight). It just looked similar to me. The Sky is one of the ships that I have yet to even research anything about (probably for the fact that I have never been interested in a 3 or 4 day cruise before.

Ahhh, the ring. It's still sitting on my desk. Since I had some refresher classes last week preparing for the boards, I wasn't able to get everything copied until the end of the week. I did email them and have not received a response yet. It kinda worries me. :(

Not the same as what you're planning, but I have done what I called a semi-back-to-back two years ago. We sailed on Freedom of the Seas (7-night Eastern Caribbean) out of Port Canaveral from Sunday to Sunday, stayed in a hotel in Orlando that night, then returned to Port Canaveral for Monarch of the Seas (4-night Bahamas) from Monday to Friday.

The first cruise was great. Freedom of the Seas is a fantastic ship, and I was sailing with a bunch of friends that made for a very positive experience.

The second cruise, however, was quite a bit of a let down. There wasn't anything wrong with the cruise itself, but going from such a large ship with an action-packed week to one of Royal Caribbean's smallest ships on a much less exciting itinerary felt disappointing. By the time that cruise ended, I was ready to go home.

Now, that negativity shared, I'm going to try it again, but differently. I'm going on Norwegian Getaway at the end of September out of Miami (Saturday to Saturday), stay in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale Saturday night, and then sail on Allure of the Seas with a bunch of friends (the same group as mentioned above, but with more people added :eek:) out of Fort Lauderdale (Sunday to Sunday).

I think that I'll have much to look forward to for both cruises. I may very well be exhausted by the time the cruises are over, or I may be completely and utterly relaxed. We'll see!

On these two you will spend a great deal of time coming/going back to home port. So many great 7N cruises out of Miami with more ports.

I already have a 7N cruise, but it's in Tampa and I can't change that one. We are sailing with friends. I was just trying to add on another while we are there and extending our vacation a little. :D If they had another smaller days cruise out of Tampa, I would pick that one in a heartbeat. But my choices are limited. :)

Not the same as what you're planning, but I have done what I called a semi-back-to-back two years ago. We sailed on Freedom of the Seas (7-night Eastern Caribbean) out of Port Canaveral from Sunday to Sunday, stayed in a hotel in Orlando that night, then returned to Port Canaveral for Monarch of the Seas (4-night Bahamas) from Monday to Friday.

The first cruise was great. Freedom of the Seas is a fantastic ship, and I was sailing with a bunch of friends that made for a very positive experience.

The second cruise, however, was quite a bit of a let down. There wasn't anything wrong with the cruise itself, but going from such a large ship with an action-packed week to one of Royal Caribbean's smallest ships on a much less exciting itinerary felt disappointing. By the time that cruise ended, I was ready to go home.

Now, that negativity shared, I'm going to try it again, but differently. I'm going on Norwegian Getaway at the end of September out of Miami (Saturday to Saturday), stay in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale Saturday night, and then sail on Allure of the Seas with a bunch of friends (the same group as mentioned above, but with more people added out of Fort Lauderdale (Sunday to Sunday).

I think that I'll have much to look forward to for both cruises. I may very well be exhausted by the time the cruises are over, or I may be completely and utterly relaxed. We'll see!

Thanks so much for your input. We're still trying to figure this out. The 1st cruise will be with some cruise friends that I have cruised with before. The second cruise might include some family (daughter and family) if they decide to join us and meet us down there. If not, I think it will be ok and I will see it as if it's just an extended cruise to the first half since we are going to different ports. It's almost like a 2 week cruise with 7 ports. :D I don't think I would care for it as much if we were returning to the same ports that we just came from.

Going from the Getaway to the Oasis...wow. I'm jealous. I have been wanting to do the Oasis (or Allure, I'm not picky) for years now. Some day I will make it. :D

I guess with the Sun and the Sky, they are both older ships and the same size/amount of people (from what I have read) that at least I won't have any let down of going from a mega ship to a smaller ship. However, if I decide I don't like the smaller, older Sun once I'm on it, I guess I'll be SOL. :p After my non-stop Getaway cruise a little over a month ago, I'm ready to go back and try a more relax, nothing to do on the ship type of cruise. At least I know I will be able to fit everything in this time around and not feel pressured to do everything. :)

Since I have never done a B2B or 2 cruises put together like this, I'm really not sure what it is called?? A back to almost-day-in-between back cruise? ..

I would call it two cruises. The are not B2B. They are not put together. Nothing special. Just two cruises, except you only have one day between them vs a few months or years like most folks.

I think you should do three in a row and save even more on airfare! :D. And your review would be phenomenal. :D:D

I have done a B2B on CCL. a 4nite and a 5 nite, same ship, out of New Orleans. And from what I understand, it is mostly the same on different lines.

We liked it! but I would make sure you go to different ports. Ours did the same ports and while it was fun, it just wasn't as exciting the second time around.

Best way to get around would be renting a car. Or taking a metro rail of some sort.

I remember that in between sailings we also did laundry and picked up some essentials.

But you may not have as much time as tampa is a drive from miami. I would also suggest that you find a tampa cruise to do for your second leg. It would just be less hassle. Carnival has 2-3 ships there and I think Royal has 2 there.

I have been to Tampa many times for land vacations and I love that area!

Regardless of what people think you should call it ;) I say go for it! Since your first cruise is Sun to Sun, you probably will have a tough time adding another 7 day. You love cruising, and we love reading about your cruises, so it is a win-win for all involved!

I am cruising getaway July 12, flying to ny on the 19th, and cruising breakaway the 20th. I was a thinking of taking advantage of laundry special on board the getaway to make the transition easier. I am a bit nervous about sailing 2 weeks in a row on identical ships but figure there is so much to do I can use the 2nd week to do what I miss the first week.

The good thing about doing a shorter cruise for the 2nd leg is that if you break another appendage you'll get home quicker!

WE were on the Sun in Feb. (11 day) departing from Miami- got off

walked over to the Sky for a 4 day. Not technically a B to B- but getting off one Ship and getting on another Ship worked for us to expand our vacation time- flying from the NW. Both older ships in NCL fleet but both have uniqueness (not sure if that is a word?) We had done this before getting off NCL and walking over to get on a Carnival Ship in Miami- not so great. Anyway taking two Ships one after the other kind of "ups" the experience. Not sure I would do it again, it is a little pain to re-pack accordingly, but it was Fun disembrking and embarking within an hour!!

Why not try doing the shorter sky one first to lead into a longer cruise! For me, itwould just help get me excited for my longer cruise lol. As a side note, if you've never cruised out of Tampa, the Tampa aquarium is right next to the cruise terminal, and we really enjoyed it waiting to board our ship. As a suggestion for a hotel, Try the embassy suites in west shore ( not the one close to the pier, it's much more expensive), we stayed there in January, for a $110 a night. The double queen suite we had was HUGE, included a free, hot breakfast, managers evening welcome ( free booze!) and comlimpentary shuttle from the airport. They also have a shuttle available to the pier for $10 a person. I know some of them were a little off topic, However I just wanted to share some ideas with you for Tampa:D. Let us know what you decide to do for your unconventional B2B lol

Recently did a B2B2B starting in Tampa. Second leg left Miami the same day. Third leg was Miami again. Worked out great. Rental car from Tampa to Miami. Skip the Sky, worst older ship in the fleet.

Mitsugirly-

Tampa to Miami is not a big deal-

As a recently former Sarasotian, I can confirm that we have zipped down The Alley many, many times.

Go for it . With the KSF, why not try a shorter cruise?

And you can refer to it as anything you like. Perhaps Back-to Belly?

We will all be blessed with a DOUBLE review-especially good if Kendra joins you. And , since it is in November, you can stop at an airboat place and show your daughter the Everglades and some amazing gators. They don't like to come out as much in the summer months, but the fall is perfect for Everglades tours.

We have found our few short cruises quite enjoyable. Even on older ships.

Annmeat

I would not miss the chance to visit the Key Largo and the FL. Keys one hour south of Miami .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIO2NYnTu8

I would think about the 7 day cruise 4 days in the keys then the 3 day Sky cruise . :D

JMHO

Our very first cruise ever was on the Sun in the early 2000's. We loved every minute of it. I still think of it every time I hear "Here comes the sun" on the radio. It was played at the pool deck all the time.

That being said, we have since sailed on many NCL ships and a few others. I have come to believe that we are "big" ship kind of people. We loved the Epic and many did not. We are leaving for the Getaway on Friday. I want to do the Breakaway but since we drive to port sailing out of NY is a bit of a problem because of parking costs.

Several years ago my DD and I took a 4 day on the Majesty out of Charleston. It was a wonderful cruise but it really seemed like we had to get off as soon as we get on. The trip just went too quickly.

Just my 2 cents worth, 7 days is the minimum I would want to cruise on a ship, we had no problem with the 4 day being a party cruise. I do not think I would want to go to the hassle of disembarking, travelling and then embarking for a short cruise but that's just my way of thinking.

I am however, probably going to go on the Getaway twice within 30 days due to "free offers" so maybe I am just a bit loony anyway.

Good luck and have fun!

I'd suggest checking your non NCL options out of Tampa for a second week.

Not really interested in finding another non-NCL at the moment. The only reason I considered this is 1) because I have a goal not to sail the same NCL ship (so in my research parameters, I put in the ships I haven't been on) 2) I would like to sail every ship in the NCL fleet (hard to do since they keep adding new ones each year :D) 3) The Sky is probably one of the ships that I would normally never sail on, since it's only a 4 day ship.

I think you should do three in a row and save even more on airfare! :D. And your review would be phenomenal. :D:D

I like you thinking, but don't think I can pull that off. The hubby is already moaning about being away from his store for 2 weeks. :p

We liked it! but I would make sure you go to different ports. Ours did the same ports and while it was fun, it just wasn't as exciting the second time around.

Best way to get around would be renting a car.

We are definitely going to different ports on both of the ships, which is what is appealing to me. I have been to all of the ports that we are going to (with 1 exception), so while they're not "new" ports for us, we will do different things in each and expand our knowledge of the areas and places. I think I would be the same if it went to the same locations on the second half, but normally when you do a shortened cruise, it only makes it to the Bahamas instead of anywhere to the Caribbean.

Regardless of what people think you should call it ;) I say go for it! Since your first cruise is Sun to Sun, you probably will have a tough time adding another 7 day. You love cruising, and we love reading about your cruises, so it is a win-win for all involved!

I am cruising getaway July 12, flying to ny on the 19th, and cruising breakaway the 20th. I was a thinking of taking advantage of laundry special on board the getaway to make the transition easier. I am a bit nervous about sailing 2 weeks in a row on identical ships but figure there is so much to do I can use the 2nd week to do what I miss the first week.

The good thing about doing a shorter cruise for the 2nd leg is that if you break another appendage you'll get home quicker! BITE YOUR TONGUE :D

I was just thinking about that yesterday...2 cruises in 1, man that's a LONG review. LOL

WE were on the Sun in Feb. (11 day) departing from Miami- got off

walked over to the Sky for a 4 day. Not technically a B to B- but getting off one Ship and getting on another Ship worked for us to expand our vacation time- flying from the NW. Both older ships in NCL fleet but both have uniqueness (not sure if that is a word?) We had done this before getting off NCL and walking over to get on a Carnival Ship in Miami- not so great. Anyway taking two Ships one after the other kind of "ups" the experience. Not sure I would do it again, it is a little pain to re-pack accordingly, but it was Fun disembrking and embarking within an hour!!

Yea, I'm kind of wondering how I would feel about all the repacking and them unpacking again. Also, since I have never been on a short 4 day cruise, I'm wondering if I would even unpack on the 2nd cruise to begin with. :p Especially being in port every single day on the cruise, I'm probably not going to have enough time for all of that. LOL

Walking off 1 ship and walking over to another would feel just awesome. I wish they were in the same port. :)

Why not try doing the shorter sky one first to lead into a longer cruise! For me, itwould just help get me excited for my longer cruise lol. As a side note, if you've never cruised out of Tampa, the Tampa aquarium is right next to the cruise terminal, and we really enjoyed it waiting to board our ship. As a suggestion for a hotel, Try the embassy suites in west shore ( not the one close to the pier, it's much more expensive), we stayed there in January, for a $110 a night. The double queen suite we had was HUGE, included a free, hot breakfast, managers evening welcome ( free booze!) and comlimpentary shuttle from the airport. They also have a shuttle available to the pier for $10 a person. I know some of them were a little off topic, However I just wanted to share some ideas with you for Tampa:D. Let us know what you decide to do for your unconventional B2B lol

You know, you do have an excellent idea about the shorter cruise first, but I would have to check into it. I think the reason I chose to go after the longer cruise was that when I put in the dates, it was the cheapest, but I will have to look again. The second reason was because we had first decided to cruise the week before on the Sun, but it's my youngest sons birthday and we would be gone for that. However, my hubbys bday is the following week, so we decided it would be better to be on the cruise for his birthday.

We have never cruised out of Tampa before (I have been to Tampa many moons ago on a land trip when I was young) but usually when we stay before/after a cruise, we don't do anything that actually cost money while at the hotel and we are probably going to take a late flight in to Tampa because there will be less rush to make it to the airport and it's a straight flight.

Thanks so much for the info on the hotel. That sounds like a great deal, especially with food and drinks involved. I like hotels like that. I did have a cruise booked in Tampa once (then changed it) and did have a hotel picked out for it after a lot of research...but I can't remember which one it was and would have to look it up again. I will definitely check our your suggestion and I really appreciate it. :)