What's the advantage of switching a booking to a TA?

Linsifer

The travel agent I used for a number of cruises is no longer in business. And, a TA I met here several years ago is cruising and will be back on Monday. So, I went ahead and booked a cabin with an RCI agent to assure that we got a midship hump location.

Is there any advantage to switching our booking to a TA? I've never utilized her services before, but she's been doing it awhile now and trust that she would do a good job. On the other hand, if she really can't get us any perks, I'm wondering if it matters. At times in the past we've gotten OBC. Even with a TA, it seems I've always done my own footwork, finding promos and special sales. And, that's usually because I got a heads-up here on Cruise Crtic.

Any thoughts?

The travel agent I used for a number of cruises is no longer in business. And, a TA I met here several years ago is cruising and will be back on Monday. So, I went ahead and booked a cabin with an RCI agent to assure that we got a midship hump location.

Is there any advantage to switching our booking to a TA? I've never utilized her services before, but she's been doing it awhile now and trust that she would do a good job. On the other hand, if she really can't get us any perks, I'm wondering if it matters. At times in the past we've gotten OBC. Even with a TA, it seems I've always done my own footwork, finding promos and special sales. And, that's usually because I got a heads-up here on Cruise Crtic.

Any thoughts?

Some get OBC or their grats paid by their TA but personally I like having control of my booking and doing with it what I want, when I want.

Unless I read something here that would persuade me, I just don't see the positives.

Tim

If you are going to switch your reservation to a TA for the perks you have 60 days from the date of booking to do so.

Also make sure you find out about all the TA's policies regarding changes. Some will charge a fee for any changes. Find out their hours. If you find a great price drop and they are not open then you are out of luck as RCI will no longer deal with you as the TA owns the reservation.

A lot to consider.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Thanks! I think I'll just keep my booking as is. Maybe there was an advantage back before we had Internet access. But, like you said, if a TA isn't awake, I might miss out on a good deal. I like having "pajama control" at all hours. ;)

I had to decide whether to use Royal or a TA day before yesterday. Same cruise price, but TA gave me balcony discount plus paid $288 gratuities, $175obc, and $70 specialty dinner. So, no brainer to go with TA. But, a recent cruise wiith an outside cabin, I could have upgraded to a balcony for peanuts with cruise line, but could not with TA. And, it wasn't for new bookings only, just a routine price drop. It was maddening.

Each cruise is a different scenario. This week was after final payment, so pricng was pretty good. If the cruise is far out, I will always book with Royal for the fllexibility with changes.

Thanks! I think I'll just keep my booking as is. Maybe there was an advantage back before we had Internet access. But, like you said, if a TA isn't awake, I might miss out on a good deal. I like having "pajama control" at all hours. ;)

In addition to what Ken mentioned above about change fees, also determine if the TA has cancel fees beyond what the cruise line charges. Also, make sure that the TA has the cruise line charge your credit card, as opposed to charging it themselves and then sending the money to the cruise line. This way you are protected if the TA goes belly up.

My last RCI cruise I paid rack rate of $829pp balcony. I got free dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant, $100 Spa Credit, $50 OBC and prepaid gratuities. For me this was a no brainer. For that I was willing to give up total control (also b/c my TA has done well by me when I had questions or change requests).

My upcoming August to Bermuda on Celebrity, the perks were even more generous. Again a no brainer.

However, a recent Princess cruise I paid about $1200pp. The same TA offered me a $50 OBC. That also was a no brainer. I kept control of my reservation and didn't switch to the TA.

I think it depends on your level of tolerance for giving up absolute control. And how generous your TA is on perks.

My last RCI cruise I paid rack rate of $829pp balcony. I got free dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant, $100 Spa Credit, $50 OBC and prepaid gratuities. For me this was a no brainer. For that I was willing to give up total control (also b/c my TA has done well by me when I had questions or change requests).

My upcoming August to Bermuda on Celebrity, the perks were even more generous. Again a no brainer.

However, a recent Princess cruise I paid about $1200pp. The same TA offered me a $50 OBC. That also was a no brainer. I kept control of my reservation and didn't switch to the TA.

I think it depends on your level of tolerance for giving up absolute control. And how generous your TA is on perks.

Do you all recommend a travel agent? We haven't officially booked our cruise yet. I see prices on other sites about the free prepaid gratuities, so was curious. Thanks!

For Royal Caribbean and Celebrity I use a TA 100% of the time. I either book directly with them of switch b/4 the 60 day time limit. The very LEAST I ever got was dinner for 2 and a $50 or 100 OBC but this was for a very inexpensive cruise.

Additionally since my TA (Large cruise only booking agency) is RCI and Celebrity's biggest booking agency, they book large blocks on most of the cruises so I often get a better price than I'd get through the cruise lines directly. I know neither RCI or Celebrity allow "discounting" their prices, but booking w/ a "group" does allow lower cruise fare. Kind of a way around the rule, I suppose.

I also cruise Princess quite a bit and my particular TA has never been able to match the perks that they give for RCI/Celebrity. So in that case I don't bother (though each time I do check w/ the TA to see if they'll surprise me).

I all ways read about the perks that people get with their TA. I do a lot of on line searching for my cruises and never see much in the way of perks. Most time I take a standard balcony cabin on a 7 or 10 night cruise. What I don't understand is how the TA can give so many perks. If the cruise cost $900. PP and they are giving all these perks, what are they making? Are the people who are getting all the perk buying suites? Then I can see them getting lots of perks.

I have taken many cruises and there were times that I have gotten lots of perks, but not that often.

I all ways read about the perks that people get with their TA. I do a lot of on line searching for my cruises and never see much in the way of perks. Most time I take a standard balcony cabin on a 7 or 10 night cruise. What I don't understand is how the TA can give so many perks. If the cruise cost $900. PP and they are giving all these perks, what are they making? Are the people who are getting all the perk buying suites? Then I can see them getting lots of perks.

I have taken many cruises and there were times that I have gotten lots of perks, but not that often.

I suspect the TA's make 10-15% commission. SO on your cabin $180 bucks or so, so they give you $50 OBC, they net $130. They make a phone call is all after all, not bad money for 15 minutes on the phone or replying to your email.

You get a suite, they get 10% on $10,000 or $1000, so they give $300 OBC and pay $282 in gratuities and net $420.

What TA's give is always relevant to the cabin price paid, and sometimes they "regift" the perks cruise lines are already offering and we never really know we could have had some of the perks by booking direct.

I have 4 cruises booked . I booked them all on my own with RCL then transferred the bookings to a TA and received over $1,000 total in OBC and pre paid Gratuities and dinners. none of the bookings was more than a balcony with one being an inside cabin. The highest price paid was 2,100 including taxes. I have made 3 changes to the original bookings with no problem. Hope it all works out well in the end.

I suspect the TA's make 10-15% commission. SO on your cabin $180 bucks or so, so they give you $50 OBC, they net $130. They make a phone call is all after all, not bad money for 15 minutes on the phone or replying to your email.

You get a suite, they get 10% on $10,000 or $1000, so they give $300 OBC and pay $282 in gratuities and net $420.

What TA's give is always relevant to the cabin price paid, and sometimes they "regift" the perks cruise lines are already offering and we never really know we could have had some of the perks by booking direct.

Thanks for the info. In the past I have gotten some perks. The most I get is with Princess. We each get $100. OBC from using a future cruise deposit. Then my husband gets either $100.(for a 7 night cruise) or $250( for a 14 night cruise) in military OBC.. Then maybe something from our TA. But most of the OBC with princess is from the cruise line. With Royal we don't get that much.

Just a little FYI - Agents do not get 10-15 per cent unless they own their own agency. Also, nobody get commission on the taxes or port charges which make up a substantial part of your cost. As to whether or not to use a TA, depends upon the TA. If you get a good one, it is a no brainer. If you go to a booking mill, then you probably don't gain. Some TA's will even tell you to wait a few days before booking because then you will get such and such a perk. Some also always give a gift beyond what the cruise line offers and are honest about what the c/l is giving. Don't think I'm allowed to tell you how I know, but these are facts.

I always book direct and then transfer to a TA. I do this to make sure that I get a specific cabin. Then the TA adds in extras of OBC, wine, spa credit, etc. above what the line is offering.

A GOOD TA can really go to bat for you with the cruise line, my TA has a really good connection at my cruise line of choice. Last cruise - 2 months after we booked - an awesome promo came out - we were upset and the TA got the line to up our OBC by #300. We booked again recently and this time the promo came out 3 weeks later :mad: Our TA went to bat and we got the promo :D and kept our aft cabins. On my own I would have had to cancel and rebook most likely losing our cabins in the process. I'm a customer for life with my TA!!

Edited by Jane2357

As mentioned by others I also book online and then transfer the booking to a TA (with the exception of Carnival where there isn't much benefit in doing so). For our Dec cruise we're getting $450 OBC. For a cruise next year on NCL we're actually saving about $1000 off the cruise fare.

I use a booking mill TA, so I don't get any personalized touches or gifts. But they're efficient and provide good OBC and/or discounts, so it's worth it for me.