Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

My sister is upset that she can't wear her "fancy" "dressy" shorts in the mdr on casual nights. Are shorts okay for women? I know that we'll see some people in shorts and it's going to be pointed out to me, just wondering what the common consensus is here.

My sister is upset that she can't wear her "fancy" "dressy" shorts in the mdr on casual nights. Are shorts okay for women? I know that we'll see some people in shorts and it's going to be pointed out to me, just wondering what the common consensus is here.

What makes them "fancy and dressy"? I particularly love that argument. Shorts are shorts for the most part unless they're denim or full of holes.

RCI guidelines/suggestions for casual nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Now, I rarely see men in jackets and ties on Smart Casual night, but I also rarely see anyone in shorts on any night.

Edited by BND

I'm not sure what constitutes fancy or dressy but it seems like women showing leg is different then men showing leg.

On a separate but related note, I'm hearing that Matt Lauer was on the today show in a suit that had shorts instead of pants - I guess times are changing.

What makes them "fancy and dressy"? I particularly love that argument. Shorts are shorts for the most part unless they're denim or full of holes.

Cruisecritic is the only place I know where there's discussion of "dress shorts" and "dress jeans". Someone recently talked about their "dress running shoes".........

We live on the west coast of the United States (Los Angeles). I wear nice jeans to work every day, sometimes shorts during the summer (office job). I see jeans, shorts, sandals, in "fancy" or high end restaurants here all the time. That's really why this question is being asked. Dress standards are very different depending on where you're coming from.

Where is your cruise? In Europe even in warmer countries it would be strange to wear shorts for any MDR.

We live on the west coast of the United States (Los Angeles). I wear nice jeans to work every day, sometimes shorts during the summer (office job). I see jeans, shorts, sandals, in "fancy" or high end restaurants here all the time. That's really why this question is being asked. Dress standards are very different depending on where you're coming from.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I work in a very laid back environment.

Personally, if she's comfortable, I'd wear what she wants. It's very unlikely anyone will say anything to her and she'll just have to ignore any other diners who believe she's under dressed.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone really cares what other people wear to the MDR. If your table mates clothes are ruining your meal, maybe that says more about you than them.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I work in a very laid back environment.

Personally, if she's comfortable, I'd wear what she wants. It's very unlikely anyone will say anything to her and she'll just have to ignore any other diners who believe she's under dressed.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone really cares what other people wear to the MDR. If your table mates clothes are ruining your meal, maybe that says more about you than them.

The point is that the cruiseline specifically states no shorts in the MDR at dinner. Sometimes this rule is enforced, sometimes not. Just like chair hogging. My office is fairly casual but if you come in wearing even "dress" shorts, you will be sent home to change and will need to make up the time spent doing so.

The meaning of "dressy shorts" to one person can mean something entirely different to another. I just goggled 'dressy shorts" and the imagines that came up surprised me. They were images of very short, shorts; some showing a woman's cheeks :eek:.and I am not talking about facial checks either. But then I guess because these women were wearing high highs and unmatched jackets they are considered "dressy".

My definition of "dressy" shorts are what we use to call "walking shorts". Shorts that came right above your knees and had a matching jacket. Times have changed since I was a young adult.

But what do I know about today's standard. I'm in my mid 60s :eek: and live in Deep South of Louisiana :) and still won't wear capris to church. Sometime if I am brave enough I'll even wear a pair of "dressy" jeans to mass but even that is a rarity.

Edited by lady_cruiser

My thoughts would be "follow the rules" ! Sometimes I just think that to many people don't understand why they have to follow what is asked of them. I'm not really a "young" person any more, but young at heart & was raised to accept what was asked of me. This is just my opinion. :D I also wouldn't hesitate to remove a towel on a pool chair if the person didn't come back after the allotted time! That's the rule ! :)

I'm a male, and wore (Nautica khaki and red) shorts to dinner (not formal nights) a few times on my recent cruise two weeks ago. I was never turned away, nor was anyone else who was wearing shorts. Your sister will be fine.

I'm not sure what constitutes fancy or dressy but it seems like women showing leg is different then men showing leg.

On a separate but related note, I'm hearing that Matt Lauer was on the today show in a suit that had shorts instead of pants - I guess times are changing.

keep in mind that Matt Lauer is an idiot .Which has nothing to do with shorts in the dining room

:cj

Edited by Captain Jake

A well put together outfit including shorts is fine for men, women and children on non-formal nights, IMHO. However, there is usually a sign in the MDR stating that shorts are not permitted. By the number of shorts I see in the MDR, it must be rarely, if ever, enforced. I think you will be just fine. You will get much more resistance to shorts in the MDR on Cruise Critic than you will when on the ship.

Someday soon, RCI will amend their suggested dress, take down that sign (no shorts) and do away with the meaningless Smart Casual night. Until then, continue to enjoy your cruise as you wish.

My thoughts would be "follow the rules" ! Sometimes I just think that to many people don't understand why they have to follow what is asked of them. I'm not really a "young" person any more, but young at heart & was raised to accept what was asked of me. This is just my opinion. :D I also wouldn't hesitate to remove a towel on a pool chair if the person didn't come back after the allotted time! That's the rule ! :)

I think following rules shows respect. It doesn't matter if you agree or don't agree or what others get away with. When choosing whether or not to follow the rule, you're choosing whether to show respect or not. I agree with you 100%.

Do you really care that much?

It would be funnier if they completed the look by putting on over sized shoes and a squeaky red nose,the shorts crowd can finish by wearing a flower that squirts water in the lapel

:cj

Edited by Captain Jake

I think the shorts are here to stay. Times are changing for better or worse and generations Y and Z started wearing shorts to church in 2001. It was just a matter of time before they wore them to the MDR. It's only a matter of time before there are swim trunks in the Diamond and Concierge lounges.

Edited by gelli8112

If the sign at the entrance of the MDR says "no shorts during the evening meal". Why would you ask us if shorts are OK ???? read the sign...

WHY--WHY--WHY ???????????????

So if I wore a pair of black shorts that came right above the knee that wouldn't be ok to you, but if I wore a black skirt that came right above the knee that would be ok? The only difference is one is sewn in at the crotch.