Best way to have alcohol in your stateroom?

Here's my situation:

I really enjoy reading on my stateroom balcony for hours during the afternoons on sea days. I also really enjoy just sitting out there during sailaway from ports, just enjoying the scenery/ambiance. In both cases, I like to have a drink or 5. In my ideal world, I have a bottle of Jim Beam and some coke and I can mix my drinks myself whenever I want more. Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't seem possible on RCL. Here would be my options:

1) I will purchase the Ultimate drink package, so I could go to a bar each time I need a new drink. This is what I thought I'd do on the Allure last Dec, but really was inconvenient. I don't want to interrupt my book or leave the sailaway for 10 minutes while going to get a new drink.

2) Order from room service, I know the drink package doesn't cover this, so I'd need to pay for the drinks, but even still it could take upwards of 30 minutes to get one delivered.

3) Rum runners - even though I'll have the ultimate plan, perhaps smuggling makes sense just so I have the convenience of enjoying it in the room.

4) Some people talk about "stocking up" through the week. IE stopping by bars and ordering their favorite liquor neat, then taking it back to their room and pouring it into a bottle. This seems like a lot of work. I could *maybe* do this with beer if I ask the bartender not to take the top off, but can't see myself doing this with Jim Beam.

Since Royal doesn't allow you to bring your own on, and doesn't allow me to buy it via Bon Voyage, am I missing any options?

I know I'm allowed to bring on wine, but unfortunately two bottles of wine wouldn't last very long.

Curious to hear what others have done.

Camo caps, forget about rum runners, they are finding those these days

camo caps have the little lower part on them still so you can put rum in a coke bottle or white tequila in a water bottle and it will look like it hasn't been opened

http://camocaps.net/

The easiest solution would be to choose a cruise line that will allow you to have a bottle of hard liquor on your stateroom.

Well... of course that's an option :rolleyes: and I have cruised on other lines that do make it easier. For example, Disney allows you to take on liquor, and I purchase a bottle from bon voyage on Carnival. I figured it would have been obvious but I'll explicitly state that this question is specific to RCL. :D

Yes, I know I can book on another line, but for a variety of reasons not relevant to this discussion I've chosen RCL and I was wondering what others do in this situation.

Camo caps, forget about rum runners, they are finding those these days

camo caps have the little lower part on them still so you can put rum in a coke bottle or white tequila in a water bottle and it will look like it hasn't been opened

http://camocaps.net/

I guess that shows how long it's been since I've smuggled. :D I'm out of touch with all the methods.

I'm really not keen on the idea. Even back in the day I never smuggled as an attempt to save money, it was always for the convenience of having it in the room. I don't mind paying inflated prices for bottles when that option is available. Thanks for the link though!

Invite someone that will run to the bar for you.

Sit on a deck where waiters are walking around.

Try and sneak something on without the expectation of it working.

Find a cruise line that allows you to have what you want.

Stay home.

I know when you are on ship tipping helps to be able to walk away with possibly more than 1 drinks! I managed to do that on multiple times.

I agree with the person above plastic travel bottles works well if you know how to deal with it in checked luggage.

I wonder if it is all going to get plain harder with all the new airport security being ramped up currently. I would assume cruise companies would take a mirror standards!

A gentleman on our last cruise carried his Coke cup with him. When he ordered a bourbon straight up then poured it in the coke cup all day till full for cabin use.

This seems the perfect solution for the OP. he can mix it with his coke as desired.

You've pretty much covered your options. Try and sneak it on board, go to the bar each time, get bourbon and "collect" it for later. I'd do the latter. It wouldn't be too hard to build up a stash in your cabin. Just get a shot (see if they'll make it a double) and poor it into something else (the coke cup seems ideal). That would be the least inconvenient.

I have no suggestions of experience with sneaking, but why doesn't RCI offer a bar set up like most other cruise lines do? The markup is pretty steep, so it must be a good profit center for them. I swear I remember being able to buy on the ship in the liquor store and pay a surcharge to bring it to my room.

Why is RCI leaving this potential profit center on the table when Carnival, HAL, Princess, NCL, etc...do allow it?

You've pretty much covered your options. Try and sneak it on board, go to the bar each time, get bourbon and "collect" it for later. I'd do the latter. It wouldn't be too hard to build up a stash in your cabin. Just get a shot (see if they'll make it a double) and poor it into something else (the coke cup seems ideal). That would be the least inconvenient.

Agreed!

Camo caps not a good idea anymore as cruise lines are now individually shaking bottles, something about booze bubbles differently then water!

Get the drink pkge, order doubles, tip and the waiter will get you a new one every time they pass by! In an hour you'd have a 750 bottle!:eek:

I have no suggestions of experience with sneaking, but why doesn't RCI offer a bar set up like most other cruise lines do? The markup is pretty steep, so it must be a good profit center for them. I swear I remember being able to buy on the ship in the liquor store and pay a surcharge to bring it to my room.

Why is RCI leaving this potential profit center on the table when Carnival, HAL, Princess, NCL, etc...do allow it?

It's my understanding that it was allowed but a few years back the rules changed after someone overestimated their tolerance and then apparently fell from a balcony and was lost. I could be wrong though and I don't know any details of the event.

It's my understanding that it was allowed but a few years back the rules changed after someone overestimated their tolerance and then apparently fell from a balcony and was lost. I could be wrong though and I don't know any details of the event.

This has been my understanding as well. It was the Smith case. Widow (who was equally smashed) sued for millions. Guessing the insurance company demanded they stop allowing bottles.

Contact solution bottles. Even if you or someone you know doesn't wear conatcts, you can find a cheap brand bottle for about $3. The bottle is solid white and some bottles can be 12-16 ounces. Keep the label on, throw it in any bag you want and you're good to go.

You could buy and empty a plastic pump spray bottle of hairspray, clean it thoroughly, and fill it with your beverage of choice. Screw the top back on and replace the little plastic cap and you're good to go.

I'm not a big drinker but do enjoy a couple of beers or a vodka tonic or two during sail aways as you mentioned. We are booked on Jewel for b2b's in August. I will not buy a drink package since I do not drink enough to make it worth it. Nor do I want to have my beers or vodka tonics in the Concierge Lounge (have access since we booked an OS). And I assume I couldn't walk in to the Concierge Lounge and walk out with a beer in each hand to take to my room. SO, here is my plan.

Once I board I will go to the closest bar and buy a bucket of beers (I assume that is still possible - we rarely sail RCL). I will take those to my room and place them in my frig. The stuff in my frig will be placed in a cabinet in the suite. I will tell the room service guy where it is so he can do his daily inventory. I will have my beer readily available. As for the vodka tonics. I will take a few, maybe 4-5 mini bottles (50mL's) in my luggage and another 4-5 in my wifes bag, which is plenty for me. Then I'll order some cans of tonic, then go to a bar and try to get a couple of limes from a bartender (for a tip offer).

We sail Princess 4x a year. They got it right. If you are booked in a full suite you get a free bar set up...combo of hard liquor or all beer...you can specify. AND if you are also an Elite member (Black Card holder) you get another free set up. So for a 7 day cruise you get two bar set ups...one for being in a suite, one for being a black card holder...NICE!

On Princess anyone can order any amount of beer you want to your cabin from room service. You can also order bottles of liquor from room service. And you can order beer packages, liquor online as a gift to yourself prior to boarding. Once on board call room service, tell them what your gift is and they delivery your beer/liquir/wine to your room.

RCCL is tight on their liquor policy compared to Princess. Hope this helps.

Edited by DShock

Contact solution bottles. Even if you or someone you know doesn't wear conatcts, you can find a cheap brand bottle for about $3. The bottle is solid white and some bottles can be 12-16 ounces. Keep the label on, throw it in any bag you want and you're good to go.

Might or might not work. Couple years back DW had to go to "The room of doom" as the saline was what got the luggage seized. Ironically, we hadn't thought of it until they gave us the idea.:cool:

My vote is for liquor package and storing up all day or rum runners. I've had success twice with rum runners. It just takes a lot of effort and energy to get them on without being caught but it has saved me a bundle. You just have to go on with the idea you'll be caught and have a back up plan.