So what do you think of aft balconies?

Stockjock

We are officially booked in a Vista Suite, Aft Balcony for an Alaskan Cruise on the Crown Princess in July 2015. Never stayed in an Aft balcony or Suite before, was told the one we have on the Caribe deck that we can look down and see the balcony below us but ours is private due to location and the way the ship juts out. Looking forward to this as well, went strictly by what the travel agent told us on location but all the information under this thread helped make our decision!

I love aft.

I love having a wide view, shore to shore view.

I love the sound of the wake as the ship moves through the water.

I love the gentle vibration of the engines.

I love the jarring vibration when docking - I love watching the docking process.

I love the rocking while I sleep.

I love how there is little wind on the balcony.

I love the easy access to the rear of the ship - which is generally less crowded.

For me, I prefer to be as high up as I can be. I don't mind if people on deck above me can see down on my balcony - so what (although I know others enjoy the privacy of going out without being watched, but I don't care what people see). I like being up high because I love the view of the sky, landscape, and water all together.

I don't like soot. I've never been on a ship where it was a big problem, but when any ship goes slow (think Glacier Bay), soot happens. If you're changing lenses on your camera, watch out for soot.

I love aft.

i-xmDQZpm-M.jpg

We are officially booked in a Vista Suite, Aft Balcony for an Alaskan Cruise on the Crown Princess in July 2015. Never stayed in an Aft balcony or Suite before, was told the one we have on the Caribe deck that we can look down and see the balcony below us but ours is private due to location and the way the ship juts out. Looking forward to this as well, went strictly by what the travel agent told us on location but all the information under this thread helped make our decision!

The Crown Princess goes in for a "12 Day Tuneup & Refreshening" from May 3, 2015 thru May 15, 2015! :eek:

This is great news for your cruise! Have a great Cruise!:D

Have booked our first Aft PS for Golden California Wine Cruise for May 2015. Have been on other cruise lines and seen the Aft cabins on other ships and always wanted to try one.

We are sooo looking forward to our next trip.

Love the idea of being able to just sit and watch the wake.

We love the aft balcony cabins. On other lines we had a regular aft facing cabins, but last year had an Aloha deck suite on the CB. We liked it so much we have booked another aft suite on the Emerald for Jan 2015. We have not ever been bothered by the vibration. The view of the wake is mesmerizing.

We love the aft balcony cabins. On other lines we had a regular aft facing cabins, but last year had an Aloha deck suite on the CB. We liked it so much we have booked another aft suite on the Emerald for Jan 2015. We have not ever been bothered by the vibration. The view of the wake is mesmerizing.

I'm with you. I remember the vibration being very minimal. I love those aft facing balconies.:):):)

I don't care for aft cabins. I like seeing pulling into and out of port which is limited in the aft. I also like being a little closer to the aft elevators. Everyone has a personal preference so try it and then make your own opinion.

We cannot always afford them but whenever possible we grab an aft balcony. Trans-atlantic cruise and Alaska cruises are a whole new experience with that wake-filled, rear facing view. When I can't afford, I get an interior and spring for Serenity Deck.

I would prefer the side cabins opposed to aft facing ones. I found one of the aft suites I was in to not be good for scenic cruising for spotting things when they approach and also the suite was too much in the shade. My personal preference for location is actually the most forward cabins.

I would prefer the side cabins opposed to aft facing ones. I found one of the aft suites I was in to not be good for scenic cruising for spotting things when they approach and also the suite was too much in the shade. My personal preference for location is actually the most forward cabins.

We like forward cabins as well but also have loved our aft suites. It is a good thing we all don't want the same thing or the cruise lines would price them out of reach.:eek::D

for years I always cruised towards aft then with a guarantee was given a forward cabin. yikes, I thought! but I really liked it, there was no vibration. after being aft I thought that's what all the cabins felt like. duh. I like forward as it seems easy to get anywhere...except the buffet on the grand classes--its a hike--but that's a good thing!

We tried a rear balcony, I think it was C752, corner cabin on Caribe a couple of cruises ago out of Galveston for western caribbean itinerary. It was February and a little cool coming out of Galveston and we didn't get as much use out of it as we might have. I like watching the wake but found the sound somewhat loud after sitting out there awhile. Convenient for the Horizon Court but a long way from some of the things we like to do on ship. We've tried locations all over Grand class ships and are keen on the Lido deck right now. ;)