Do Celebrity Cater For Pescatarians?

Nightwish

I prefer not to eat meat, but DH is a confirmed carnivore, so we compromise and I cook meat several times a week at home. One of the nice things about being on a cruise is that we can each eat what we really enjoy. I always find plenty of fish, seafood and vegetarian dishes available, which would fit with your dietary requirements. (DH spends the entire cruise eating mostly steak!:eek:)

Edited by Suzy Smith
Punctuation

Seafood entrees listed on main dining room menus are not very thrilling. You will have a better time if you budget for a few nights in the Olympic (or whatever the specialty restaurant is called) which has a number of seafood dishes of a higher quality.

Do they still have salmon on the available every night dinner menu.? Also sushi at the buffet?

They had more fish offerings on Cunard but dh missed more beef choices...

The fish is " ok" , but unfortunately unlike some other cruise lines, all of Celebrity's fish is frozen/ defrosted. Never fresh.

Both the MDR and Blu offer a nightly vegetarian entree

Interesting. Which lines offer fresh fish ?

I haven't rerad this entire thread so you may already have your answer but:

There is always a minimum of two fish entrees in the MDR daily, one is grilled salmon on the left (or everyday) side and something else on the right (changed daily) side. Shrimp cocktail and escargot are left side. Always a fish or seafood option in the appetizers, soup and or salad. AND you can always ask for something else, just give your waiter or maitre'de a heads up and they will accommodate you.

The buffets always have multiple fish and seafood options, hot and cold. Fish is even available at breakfast (if you enjoy kippers). Plus in every venue there are innumerable non-red/white meat choices.

The specialty restaurants also have multiple fish/seafood choices.

I wouldn't say that Celebrity "caters" to non-meat eaters, they cater to eaters. You will not go hungry unless you choose to do so.

We just did a 10 night cruise. My husband only eats vegetarian and fish, no shellfish (I call it "semi-kosher"). He was able to get nice fish every night in the MDR; on past cruises it seemed half of the fish dishes had shellfish in them so he was very happy. :)

and what if someone really can't onions and garlic

can I call ahead of time and how do I do that

my last cruise on Reflection - all the diner menus were loaded with both - and could not eat the food

thanks

We, too, eat pescatarian with no shell fish. We have never had a problem. There has been (although some have reported they can't get it) a separate vegetarian menu, at least seven different ones. Ask your waiter for it. If he says no, ask the maitre d'. Also, if you ask, they will show you the next night's menu and will make something off menu for you (one day notice).

We have had pasta alfredo with fresh mushrooms, chinese style sweet and sour fish, vegetarian baked onion soup, among other dishes.

and what if someone really can't onions and garlic

can I call ahead of time and how do I do that

my last cruise on Reflection - all the diner menus were loaded with both - and could not eat the food

thanks

Hi. My DW is garlic intolerant and we have found that she has been catered for very well indeed. First day aboard, speak to the maitre de. You will be brought the menu where you can select what you would like eat the following day. Your meal will be prepared accordingly. As far as the buffet is concerned you must always ask. On many occasions they can prepare such as salmon etc specifically for you without garlic. One of the main reasons we cruise is that DW's allergy is catered for so well. It's always worth informing the cruise line of your allergy when booking but not essential as you will be catered for as soon as you speak to the maitra de.

Edited by Macadian

No cruise lines are going to offer fresh fish. Have you ever seen fresh fish being loaded onto a vessel? You'd smell it from far away. Fresh fish is only fresh for a day. So it's impossible to have good "fresh" fish on the ship.

Having said that- frozen fish isn't all that bad and there are plenty of seafood and non-meat choices on Celebrity.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hello

Does anyone know if Celebrity cater for Pescatarians? I don't eat white or red meat but everything else.

Thanks

is there an abundance of seafood? yes.

is it quality? depends on your definition.

DH finds it okay, but not the level you find in good local eateries

No cruise lines are going to offer fresh fish. Have you ever seen fresh fish being loaded onto a vessel? You'd smell it from far away. Fresh fish is only fresh for a day. So it's impossible to have good "fresh" fish on the ship.

Having said that- frozen fish isn't all that bad and there are plenty of seafood and non-meat choices on Celebrity.

on our Oceania cruise we were offered a local fish that the chef had bought that day while in port - it was only offered in a couple of the specialty restaurants for that night only.

however I agree it is probably rare even for Oceania.

If you order the salmon off the everyday menu or any fish on the daily menu, ask them not to overcook it. I did and the waiter asked me if I wanted it rare! Never have thought of ordering fish rare, but I did and it was wonderful.

To the OP, if you want a nice fish dish go to the Aqua Spa cafe at lunch time and order the Miso Salmon or the Arctic Char. Both of these have to be ordered and they have one or the other of them often but not every day.

Frozen fish lack the firmness and flavor that fresh does. Especially for sushi, or rare as in Ahi. I avoid it on Celebrity.

The Seabourn Quest (450 passengers ) did offer fresh fish and live lobsters. I met some of the chefs and they do get off the ship and buy in select local markets as the cruise progresses. They are given some latitude with the menus unlike Celebrity where all the menus are set and the same in every restaurant on every ship. Obviously there's a difference between a ship that serves 450 and a ship that serves 3000.

Do they still have salmon on the available every night dinner menu.? Also sushi at the buffet?

They had more fish offerings on Cunard but dh missed more beef choices...

Sushi tends to be offered around 5/530pm for a limited amount of time. My husband makes a point to go every day around then to get his fill lol