No more balcony smoking on Carnival

Out in the ocean?, on a moving ship? Sorry that just doesn't jive with common sense

I've actually experienced this once (out of 22 cruises, but it did happen), and it WAS pretty bad...but then again I was also less than thrilled that we couldn't have a private conversation on our balcony because they were ALWAYS on theirs.

Geri, email me @ iimmie@yahoo.com I just sent an email off and I have a list of people that I don't want the non-smokers to email.

Hmm...

Crane Glading

Andy Stuart

Kevin Sheehan

I'd guess these 3 would have influence on policy. : )

Stephen

Cruising during Christmas Day is pricey, could you go the week before? There is a great buy on the 7 day on the Jewel out of Houston. The 2 BR Haven Suite is around $2,699 without discounts such as military or AARP for the first two people and I think that your two adult sons would be free sailing as the 3rd and 4th through today only bookings. So, without actually plugging in the details, I think it would be around $1500-$1600 per person for this incredible cruise experience. You would have your own balcony to smoke on and then have the ability to smoke on the huge upper level Haven sundeck. Also, the ship within a ship concept of the Haven is a wonderful perk. Last year my husband and I had this suite for just the two of us. We closely watched the prices of the Haven suites go down and then pounced on the chance to move from an aft suite to the 2 BR Haven at no additional charge!!! Hubby used the second bathroom as his personal bathroom (!) and the second bedroom as his dressing room. Every evening we would go to a show, have a couple of drinks and then I would change into a swimsuit and relax in the hot tub while my husband took a late evening nap on a sunbed in the Haven. We were the ONLY ONES using this space from around 10:30p.m.-midnight each night!!!!

Some people may overlook the Haven as a possibility to cruise in because of the price point, but with great sales, once it gets broken down per person, it can become an awesome value. Some of the benefits of being in the Haven are, priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority tendering, dining at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, reserved seating in the theater, use of the butler and concierge. Of course this same week you can get into a balcony for $589 and the inside is $539 p.p. excluding taxes and port fees. The next week, being Christmas is $899 and $799, so a premium for that holiday.

The second bedroom is kind of tiny for adults- splurge and get two of the smaller suites! There is not enough adult privacy in the 2 br family villa, and you won't be sending your sons to " camp". I cannot imagine 4 adults in this suite- I do love the Jewel, but would get two of the smaller suites if splurging on the Haven.

Worth it.

More emails to send :) Thx

SissasmomE

We were smoked out of our last RCL cruise despite having knowledge of physics and even advanced degrees in the sciences!! OMG!!

This was before Royal changed their policy.

Yes, it DOES happen.

Does this make smokers evil? No. Were the two women who smelled up our suite nasty? Yes.

Do I wish that smokers did not smoke? Yes.

Do I wish that NCL was smoke-free? Yes

Do (SissasmomE or ) I resort to name calling if you smoke and we do not? No.

Will this thread return to a civilized tone?

Doubtful.

You can say I'm exaggerating or even lying, but smoke DOES travel from balconies forward of ours while the ship is moving.

I've come to the conclusion that neither NCL nor Carnival will have any change in the number of cabins sold. Carnival customers will move to NCL so they can smoke on their balconies and an equal number of NCL customers will move to Carnival to escape them.

I've actually experienced this once (out of 22 cruises, but it did happen), and it WAS pretty bad...but then again I was also less than thrilled that we couldn't have a private conversation on our balcony because they were ALWAYS on theirs.

Hmm...

Crane Glading

Andy Stuart

Kevin Sheehan

Stephen

Hi Steve, Sorry to be on the other side of this convo with you but yes that is my list as well as about 10 other people.

Hope all is well with you

1) So then if you pay for a balcony with a particular purpose and then the cruise line locks the door on you for the entire cruise that's good by you?

2) I pay for a balcony to enjoy my privacy outside and yes, I smoke. I can get a pretty view through a window. Currently there are 2 cruise lines willing to accommodate me, and I am not old enough for one of them.

3) There are multiple cruise lines willing to accommodate you as a non-smoker.

4) So to be clear, until there is not one cruise line willing to accommodate me you will not be happy, correct?

(numbers added above for clarity.)

1) I don't choose a cabin for any single particular purpose.

2) Irelevant

3) No one is tell you that as a smoker you cannot sail NCL or any CCL for that matter.

4) Not at all. Not being able to smoke on a balcony does not mean no one is accommodating you. It simply means that smokers will not be allowed to practice their habit in areas where it can directly affect the health and even life of other people.

Hmm...

Crane Glading

Andy Stuart

Kevin Sheehan

Stephen

Wow - you were not thrilled because "you could not have a private conversation on your balcony because they were always on theirs"......that one takes the cake! Some of the people on here will find anything to complain about - First you don't want people to smoke (where they are allowed to) and now they shouldn't use their balcony (that they paid for) so that you can have privacy on yours!! I have no idea how you actually have any fun or why you even go since a complaint like this is so absurd.

You can say I'm exaggerating or even lying, but smoke DOES travel from balconies forward of ours while the ship is moving.

I don't believe anyone has ever said that people that are non-smokers might not get a brief drift of smoke onto their balconies. People that are smoking on their balconies cannot do anything about wind direction and speed before the smoke completely disperses. Where the exaggeration and lying is coming in is when people claim that the smoke comes into their balconies, never disperses, accumulates more over time, smells for hours, etc.

They might have a point and be correct if it was inside...but it just doesn't work that way outside.

OK. I'll buy into that except when there is a group of people smoking continuously for a long period of time. It isn't the same smoke but instead a steady stream of smoke.

On our last NCL cruise there were two twenty-something guys who quickly picked up two girls. They all smoked and spent all evening on the balcony smoking. We were a little surprised that they didn't avail themselves more of the party life until we realized they preferred smoking.

Edited by gooch47

Yeah I do find it as ridiculous as the non smokers that come into the smoking sections and complain about it or do the fake "cough, cough".

SMH

Don't forget the hand-flapping thing! They'll flap and do that fake cough whether there's smoke or not.

Anyway, I don't smoke, and I don't sail in balconies, so the whole business is pretty much a non-starter for me. However, I do sometimes hang out in the outdoor smoking areas, because they usually have the most shade. The smell only bothers me a little, and I'd much rather stink than burn. The smokers I've run into are for the most part are friendly, polite and yes...considerate. It's sad to see them so vilified, but I guess that's what you have to expect on such a polarizing topic.

I do think those who choose not to smoke should not go into the smoking areas without realizing that smoke will be there, no brainer, but the fact that they get choked by the smoke is not fake. This post is typical of the attitude of the small percentage of smokers who are the 1% who ruin it for all the rest. There is the same 1% on the other side of the issue as well so don't think it is a one way street.

What non-smoker would stand in a smoking area to begin with?! :eek: Some of these posts really crack me up.

Edited by SissasMomE

I have ran into a few in Atlantic city. You being a non smoker you wouldn't know because your not in the smoking area correct?

I usually avoid a smoking area as much as possible. AC is 75% non-smoking. I cannot fathom someone intentionally standing in the smoking section.

What non-smoker would stand in a smoking area to begin with?! :eek: Some of these posts really crack me up.

When I smoked, not all that long ago, I was at a slot machine in AC, in the smoking section. A women came and sat next to me and started coughing, etc. when I lit up. I asked her if she realized she was in the smoking section and she said yes, but she liked that particular machine. I put the cigarette out and eventually moved to another machine far away from her, also in the smoking section.

Funny in a way because there are also machines I liked in the non-smoking section so when I played those......I just didn't smoke.

Harriet