Weird scam phone call today I think?

JAMESCC

Long since stopped answering the phone unless I recognize the number. Too many telemarketers. We are on the Do Not Call list, but still get several calls a day.

Same here, there are so many exceptions to the Do Not Call list. So surprised that political groups are exempt.:rolleyes:

It amazes me that people actually answer a phone call when they don't recognize the number. Just seems like a dumb waste of time to me. If I don't know who you are, you don't get unfettered access to me. Leave me a message, and if it seems necessary, I'll call you back.

There are many reasons why people would do answer a call from a number they don't recognize.

I've called people for business reasons from my cell and they've called me back from a different number (i.e. I called the main number but they called me back from their direct extension).

My son has called me from a friend's/teachers cell phone because his battery died.

My sister has called me from a business because her car broke down and her she had no cell signal.

To me, it would be just as much of a "dumb waste of time" to 'screen' the call. You've got to make 2 calls just to respond to the 1 call (i.e., let the call go to voicemail, then call voicemail, then call the person back.) Why go through all that when you could just hang up?

I tell them how happy I am that they called and I am in.

Then I tell them to hold on one moment, I will be right with them. I then put the phone down and just let them hang.

I've done that also, it is a good one.

You can also pretend to be a police detective and start asking the caller questions…Where were you at 10am this morning? Do you know anything about this crime? Do you have an alibi? We need to ask you some questions. I'm tracing this call so I can send an officer to pick you up…(they hang up fast!:eek:)

We like to spend a little time over cocktails periodically coming up with new 'script' ideas for phone fun. I'm much better at this if I have some ideas in mind.

Ahhh…the only limits in this game are your imagination and the amount of time you're willing to spend messing with them. We think of it as our own personal TAKE BACK OUR PHONE campaign.:p

Judy

You guy are a lot a fun :)

I also keep a whistle by the phone, hmmm.

To me, it would be just as much of a "dumb waste of time" to 'screen' the call. You've got to make 2 calls just to respond to the 1 call (i.e., let the call go to voicemail, then call voicemail, then call the person back.) Why go through all that when you could just hang up?

Nope, not a "dumb waste of time" to me! All the examples you mentioned are certainly possible. But in all likelihood these days, an unrecognized phone number is someone who is not going to get access to me that easily. Feel free to leave a message!

Edited by leisuretraveler223

Yeah, and if you don't answer a call from a number you don't recognize, only to discover that it was from a relative telling you a member of the family is dying in the hospital, then what would you do?

It only takes a few seconds to say hello, listen for 2 seconds and then hang up.

It amazes me that people actually answer a phone call when they don't recognize the number. Just seems like a dumb waste of time to me. If I don't know who you are, you don't get unfettered access to me. Leave me a message, and if it seems necessary, I'll call you back.

That is my rule as well, but I am anxiously waiting for a call from a job I applied to. Looking to move to a new job, and am anxious so I made the decision to answer number this week and next that I don't recognize. I agree though in general, NEVER answer numbers you don't know. This week and next its an exception for me.

I'm probably going to hell for sure, but I once told a Jehovas's Witness who rang my doorbell that I was a witch.

I did worse, MUCH worse, trust me MUCH worse. I was told by one of them to "get help". I never laughed so hard.

I'm suspicious when I win valuable prizes in contests that I didn't enter.

Same here. If it sounds too good to be true..... Unless it's from a Nigerian prince wanting me to pay me to protect his money. He's a prince, so he must be honest, right?

Same here, there are so many exceptions to the Do Not Call list. So surprised that political groups are exempt.:rolleyes:

Did you really expect that the sleazebag politicians would deny themselves the right to make robocalls?

I think but I am not sure that charities are also exempt.

DON

This has nothing to do w/ the post, but there are a few phone calls where people will ask about your computer and say their from "such and such" company and they are showing an "error" from your computer and can you go to your computer and do 'such and such' - well, I ask "where are you located, what company' and THEY hung up. Also, my friend got the same call.... So, beware

We got about two calls a day like this for a week last month. Obviously a new "class" had just graduated and were plying their trade. At least the Nigerian bank clerk who has a couple of million in abandoned funds he wants to share with me seems to have moved on.

Yeah, and if you don't answer a call from a number you don't recognize, only to discover that it was from a relative telling you a member of the family is dying in the hospital, then what would you do?

It only takes a few seconds to say hello, listen for 2 seconds and then hang up.

If the number is from a local area code, I might answer. No one would be calling me from out of state with an actual personal matter, and all telemarketer calls I get are out of state.

Since I work overnight shifts, I sleep during the day, and chances are, no one is getting a hold of me one way or another and will have to leave a message.

We just changed our landline phone # last Monday & I forgot to immediately put us on the Do Not Call list. Tuesday we had 37 sales calls (no lie!!). Now they call using cell phones!

One of the calls was someone from India (because of the thick accent) telling me I had money coming to me because of the surgery I had 7 years ago. That would be great if I ever had surgery. When I told him this he told me I was wrong and that I did have surgery.

Best response I ever had was answering the phone, not saying hello but whispering into the phone "ok so I cut up and buried the body, now what?" Never had anybody hang up on me that fast!:D

This has nothing to do w/ the post, but there are a few phone calls where people will ask about your computer and say their from "such and such" company and they are showing an "error" from your computer and can you go to your computer and do 'such and such' - well, I ask "where are you located, what company' and THEY hung up. Also, my friend got the same call.... So, beware

For when I understand (my hubby is in IT for a major city), this is not a scam, but a way for some hacker to infect your computer with a virus or malware. So if you get a call like this, do not pass go, hang up.

I don't usually pick the phone for a # that is not familiar, but when I do I tell them that my mother/father are not home.

Unfortunately our land line phone doesn't have a display to see the incoming number and we're not about to buy a phone just to have this feature. We now only give out our land line number if we're going to be home for a while and expecting a return call during that time (then we turn on the bell); else, we give my cell phone number. A few weeks ago, I was waiting for a doctor's office to call me and in the meantime I got a few cold calls. I always say we're on the do not call list if a live person calls instead of an automated system. One of the calls was from some cruise line (she said) that I had never heard of. I pointed out that we're loyal to Princess and won't consider any other lines (which is mostly true -- we like Princess). I did go on the computer and google the name of the cruise line she mentioned. It has one ship and when I did some more googling, found it's a really old ship and just does short Bahamas cruises (so maybe it's the same line that called the OP).

We do get those postcards from some company that puts the Carnival logo on, so I'm guessing they want you to believe you're getting a free cruise directly from Carnival. My recycling bin gets those cards thrown into it pretty quickly.

I usually reserve my nasty words if a caller doesn't quite get it that they're being a pain. One recent call the guy didn't identify what his company does immediately but thought I should talk to him anyway. I told him he was being rude and he claimed I was. One phrase and I hung up.

I do love the Seinfeld episode in which a telemarketer calls him and he asks for the caller's phone number so he can call him at dinner time. When the caller refuses, he says "now you know how I feel."

I got this phone call at work today, but I couldn't hear it great because I was in a truck. It sounded like a person at first, but then I could tell it was an automated person. It said something about being considered for a free cruise on one of their brand new ships to generate some sort of buzz and all I had to do was come home, and tell everyone I know how beautiful the ship was and how great the cruise was.

They then asked me to answer a few question. Two question were normal, but then I heard them ask if I had a bank account or something to the effect. As I said I couldn't hear great I was in a very loud truck. Anyone hear of this scam? Anyone else get this call? Thanks for any info on the subject, I'm quite curious.

An obvious scam. I got a call like that before, caller told me I'm going to the Bahamas for a vacation for free. All he needed was my bank info or cc details to verify my identity. Lol! I hung up.

I am on the "do not call list" but was getting all kinds of calls, so I signed up at nomorobo dot com and actually called them a few days later because I didn't get any calls (thinking I had signed up wrong). Turned out I get very few calls from friends and family, all the rest were robo calls. Great website, especially if your cable/phone provider are on the list.:D

I'm probably going to hell for sure, but I once told a Jehovas's Witness who rang my doorbell that I was a witch.

The JW's that come by my house are quite nice folks...we have had some really good discussions about their beliefs and my non-beliefs.

When the doorbell rings on Saturday morning and i hear my wife yell 'Keith..." i know who it is and get out the pamphlets they left the last time. They remember my name and my dog's name and we take up where we left off.

they haven't given up on me yet!

I am on the "do not call list" but was getting all kinds of calls, so I signed up at nomorobo dot com and actually called them a few days later because I didn't get any calls (thinking I had signed up wrong). Turned out I get very few calls from friends and family, all the rest were robo calls. Great website, especially if your cable/phone provider are on the list.:D

Thanks for the tip! My phone provider is on the list and I just registered my two land lines.