Celebrity dress code

Orch at Sea

However, I have no problem with those who like to dress to the nines, there dress does not offend me.

Not everyone has been fortunate to be at a level or event that required a TUX, which includes me, retired professional. Why would I or anyone like me want to dress formally.

On the other hand, modern dress, is FANTASTIC, most look better than those dressed formally. The unfortunate thing is, some cruisers just do not know what to wear or how they look in clothes and I guess, do not really know how to dress themselves to look good, also, I should say many cannot afford to buy the right clothes, and why would we deny these people to enjoy the MDR.

We dress modern, never formal, and have never been rejected or ejected from the MDR, we always look good, never shabby, on all nights.

Please, X create a section just for the rich, nostalgic and conventional cruisers where dress is mandatory and I will not ruin there cruise.

Well said! And what a great idea... 😄

However, I have no problem with those who like to dress to the nines, there dress does not offend me.

Not everyone has been fortunate to be at a level or event that required a TUX, which includes me, retired professional. Why would I or anyone like me want to dress formally.

On the other hand, modern dress, is FANTASTIC, most look better than those dressed formally. The unfortunate thing is, some cruisers just do not know what to wear or how they look in clothes and I guess, do not really know how to dress themselves to look good, also, I should say many cannot afford to buy the right clothes, and why would we deny these people to enjoy the MDR.

We dress modern, never formal, and have never been rejected or ejected from the MDR, we always look good, never shabby, on all nights.

Please, X create a section just for the rich, nostalgic and conventional cruisers where dress is mandatory and I will not ruin there cruise.

A tux has never been a requirement for Formal Night on Celebrity. The great majority of nights are not formal and there are many alternatives available for those few evenings that are designated Formal Nights. If you don't care to dress for the evening just choose another venue for that evening. When you book a cruise with Formal Nights, be prepared to either get into the mood or dine in any one of the other great areas available. You can even have the same food served to you in your cabin if you think you are missing something special. Better yet, don't be a hard head and just put on what's requested and come to dinner.

Edited by Ma Bell

So, yes, enforce the dress code. Let other cruise lines cater to slobs and sloths. Besides, gentlemen, we look cool in a tux. Its a rakish addition to an already sexy atmosphere and it invariably adds horsepower to one's social agenda. Why would you punt the opportunity to be dashing and debonnair like Bond? You're on a cruise. Live it up.

I agree. Are you saying that Celebrity should enforce the dress code for both men and women, as many, many women are not in formal or cocktail attire on formal night?

I agree. Are you saying that Celebrity should enforce the dress code for both men and women, as many, many women are not in formal or cocktail attire on formal night?

I think Ma Bell in the post prior to yours struck the right tone. Customs should be observed, especially when clearly delineated by Celebrity (or whomever is your host for the evening). I have a wife and daughter which means I have more practice taking rather than issuing orders. My wife worked for the Governor of California so her sense of protocol and propriety is well honed. She would never be under dressed for an event at which formal attire is requested let alone defined.

As for the gentlemen who believe a tuxedo is a relic of some forgotten past, the dress code gives you plenty of options so long as they are, to paraphrase Henry Ford, black or navy (or perhaps forest green or dung brown if that's your preference). My point was you might consider a tux because they tend to be flattering and your lovely lady may respond to your sartorial splendor with a decidedly hands on approach -- assuming that's something that interests you at least as much as the end cut slab of prime rib, a second lobster tail or yet another Bud Light. Moreover, these days you can get a decent tux with a nice lightweight wool fabric for less than you'd spend in a few hours at a Saigon brothel.

The choice is yours. I was just making a suggestion since, in western culture, formal attire has a specific meaning.

I think Ma Bell in the post prior to yours struck the right tone. Customs should be observed, especially when clearly delineated by Celebrity (or whomever is your host for the evening). I have a wife and daughter which means I have more practice taking rather than issuing orders. My wife worked for the Governor of California so her sense of protocol and propriety is well honed. She would never be under dressed for an event at which formal attire is requested let alone defined.

As for the gentlemen who believe a tuxedo is a relic of some forgotten past, the dress code gives you plenty of options so long as they are, to paraphrase Henry Ford, black or navy (or perhaps forest green or dung brown if that's your preference). My point was you might consider a tux because they tend to be flattering and your lovely lady may respond to your sartorial splendor with a decidedly hands on approach -- assuming that's something that interests you at least as much as the end cut slab of prime rib, a second lobster tail or yet another Bud Light. Moreover, these days you can get a decent tux with a nice lightweight wool fabric for less than you'd spend in a few hours at a Saigon brothel.

The choice is yours. I was just making a suggestion since, in western culture, formal attire has a specific meaning.

Your wife might not ever be underdressed, but on my last cruise there were a lot of ladies in everyday wear, beach type maxi dresses, regular pants and shirt, etc. If they are going to enforce the men's dress code, then they need to enforce the ladies as well.

Don't usually wear a tux, I'm more the formal gown kind of girl. I do agree, that a man looks great in a tux.

I wore formal gowns on my last Celebrity cruise and I felt very out of place, because so many women were not in formal/cocktail attire. I'll dress down for my January cruise and I'm sure I will fit in a little better.

Celebrity needs to either enforce the dress code (for both men and women) or not have it. And for the record, I could care less which way they go.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I was on the Eclipse in March. Forgot my jacket at home. only had a shirt and tie. I was denied entry to the MDR because I didn't have a jacket on. For the 4 formal nights we ended up going to the buffet, which was exactly the same that was on the MDR menu.

I was on the Eclipse in March. Forgot my jacket at home. only had a shirt and tie. I was denied entry to the MDR because I didn't have a jacket on. For the 4 formal nights we ended up going to the buffet, which was exactly the same that was on the MDR menu.

Celebrity has never served the MDR menu in the buffet, perhaps you are thinking of another cruise.

Since we started cruising in 2006, we have always dressed up for formal night, but it was only recently that I realized we had not always been following the dress code! I grew up with no brothers, my parents' lifestyle was a casual one, and I married a casual kind of guy. Although I thought I knew, I have since found out that I actually did not know what a "dinner jacket" was when I read the requirements for formal nights on Celebrity, Princess, HAL. Most likely my husband wouldn't have known either, but it was I who was doing the research on dress codes.

So on my counsel, my husband packed and wore a pair of dress trousers, a shirt, tie, and a blazer! We are of the old school and would never have flauted the rules on purpose, yet we were doing so! But my hubby and I (in a cocktail dress) were never denied entrance to the MDR. Perhaps it is because we looked confident in our clothing choices, not embarrassed. We certainly looked as if we were trying to follow the rules! Undoubtedly anyone with finer taste than ours, or more sophisticated knowledge or experience in the realm of true formal wear might have turned up their noses in disdain at us, but if so, we did not notice. We were having too much fun being "spiffier" than we ever were at home!

At any rate, Captain Timmers on the Zuiderdam did not turn his nose up at our attire at dinner -- there was no distinction made among his eight guests, though the sartorial choices within the group ranged from a tux to a velour pantsuit. The captain was as gracious as could be, and dress code was not on the radar. Everyone clearly was wearing the best they had brought on their southern Caribbean cruise -- undoubtedly, like us, never anticipating being invited to dine with the captain.

But this unexpected event may be one good argument for bringing something akin to "formal wear" on a cruise -- something one would not be ashamed to wear for cocktails and dinner with the captain.

Since we started cruising in 2006, we have always dressed up for formal night, but it was only recently that I realized we had not always been following the dress code! I grew up with no brothers, my parents' lifestyle was a casual one, and I married a casual kind of guy. Although I thought I knew, I have since found out that I actually did not know what a "dinner jacket" was when I read the requirements for formal nights on Celebrity, Princess, HAL. Most likely my husband wouldn't have known either, but it was I who was doing the research on dress codes.

So on my counsel, my husband packed and wore a pair of dress trousers, a shirt, tie, and a blazer! We are of the old school and would never have flauted the rules on purpose, yet we were doing so! But my hubby and I (in a cocktail dress) were never denied entrance to the MDR. Perhaps it is because we looked confident in our clothing choices, not embarrassed. We certainly looked as if we were trying to follow the rules! Undoubtedly anyone with finer taste than ours, or more sophisticated knowledge or experience in the realm of true formal wear might have turned up their noses in disdain at us, but if so, we did not notice. We were having too much fun being "spiffier" than we ever were at home!

You and your husband have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about! Tux or dinner jacket is suggested, certainly not required. I think you said it all - you looked as if you were trying to follow the rules - and I'm sure you both looked great!

I'm known here as STRONGLY against the "dumbing down" of MDR attire, and uneven enforcement of the rules against shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops etc. But dress shirt & slacks, tie and jacket - be it blazer/sport coat, suit, Tux or dinner jacket - is attire I don't think anyone should look down their noses at!

"Formal Night" threads are a guilty pleasure of mine. The same old arguments go back and forth, but nothing will be resolved until a standard is set and strictly adhered to by the cruise lines.

I suspect they are reluctant to do so because the "casualization" of American society continues apace, and they don't want to lose potential business or get unfavorable feedback. Hard to fight against what appears to be the ever increasing: "it's my vacation and I'll wear whatever I want" crowd.

In a nation where "Sunday Best" is a quaint notion nobody younger than a baby-boomer remembers, the concept of formal nights on all but the highest-end cruise ships, will slowly disappear, I think. The vast majority of cruisers will be sailing "Outback of the Seas" before long, and that's a shame.

There are two types of cruisers: those who think of cruising as a vacation and those who think of it as an experience.

I suspect they are reluctant to do so because the "casualization" of American society continues apace, and they don't want to lose potential business or get unfavorable feedback. Hard to fight against what appears to be the ever increasing: "it's my vacation and I'll wear whatever I want" crowd.

[/color]

One should also remember that cruise passengers are an increasingly diverse bunch. Opinions of what is acceptable at a formal occasion can differ wildly between socioeconomic groups, not to mention the attitudes of various international cultures. It's not an attitude of "I'll where whatever I want" for most people, it's the fact that the concept of a "tux and gown" occasion is utterly foreign to an increasingly large percentage of cruise passengers. Formal dress codes alienate many people and that's the last thing a cruise line wants when they count on expanding their demographic.

On the other hand of course, non-enforcement of dress codes alienates another sector of the cruise population. Celebrity have to maintain a careful balance to keep the dollars flowing.

There are two types of cruisers: those who think of cruising as a vacation and those who think of it as an experience.

Or 3... The ones that think of it as a great experience while on vacation! I'm defiantly one of them!

We were on the Silhouette last month (Med) and had a great time. On the first formal night, I wore a suit but my dad refused to wear a Jacket on a holiday. However he was dressed in a formal shirt and pants, and no one blinked an eyelid.

Even on the 2nd formal night, there were others in formal wear without jackets and everyone had a super time. I think its a nice touch for people to dress up formally (doesn't mean a tuxedo) and be comfortable. If thats too much, one can ALWAYS dine at the Oceanview/ Speciality Dining etc on just those 2 nights.

I think everyone on our cruise understood what the minimum requirement was on Celebrity and were nice to ensure that they met those requirements on formal nights.

P.S. There were ALOT more people in the Oceanview/ other restaurants on Formal night than we expected. We know Royal Cartibbean is the more informal of the 2, but yet, large number of people who were happy in their informal wear.

We were on the Silhouette last month (Med) and had a great time. On the first formal night, I wore a suit but my dad refused to wear a Jacket on a holiday. However he was dressed in a formal shirt and pants, and no one blinked an eyelid.

Not flaming or being rude. What is a formal shirt and pants?

We were on the Eclipse for 14 days over Christmas last year "13" and yes I dressed in a Jacket, and lot of people were in the MDR without Jackets, on formal night, I wonder what the difference was?

Edited by north29

We were on the Eclipse for 14 days over Christmas last year "13" and yes I dressed in a Jacket, and lot of people were in the MDR without Jackets, on formal night, I wonder what the difference was?
I think that on some ships the dress code is enforced, while on others it is not. On my last cruise on formal night there were men in jeans, long sleeve shirt and no ties and they got in with no problem. Edited by NLH Arizona

Most likely just a different person happening to be the one doing the seating at the entrance to the dining room at that particular time.

On a recent Celebrity cruise we were next in line at the entrance to Select dining on a formal night waiting to be seated.

A young man jumped in front of us at the head of the line, apologetically explaining that the rest of his party had already been seated, but he had been sent back to change his shirt.

He was wearing a plaid sport shirt with slacks, no tie or jacket, and he was seated immediately .

We have no idea what he had been wearing previously that caused him to be sent back to change his shirt. :D

Edited by fleckle

I have found that X will enforce a dress code more for the Elite Happy Hour and MDR breakfast and lunch. Even when they had the Brunch, too. However, when it was Evening in the MDR, it was totally lax.

Perhaps it is because these are pretty much optional events, where as dinner is something everyone wants to have, and preferably in a pleasant dining room-so they are a little more lax. I personally think that Blu and specialty restaurants should have the stricter, more elegant code. We always dress formally for Blu. But I love the dressing up. Our normal life style does not include tuxedos and evening dresses on a regular basis, so that is one of the things I love about cruising. It is one reason I am sure I would not like Norwegian. There are cruise lines that cater to the casual. I hope Celebrity will not become one of them.

I just received today an Oceania brochure on current promotion, and amidst the "finest cuisine at sea", and "best value in upscale cruising", they tout their dress code: "country club casual ambiance," and "tuxedos and gowns are never required". One of the venues for passing along some of life's refinements to the younger generation is fading away. One cruise line at a time. Somewhat sad.

I just received today an Oceania brochure on current promotion, and amidst the "finest cuisine at sea", and "best value in upscale cruising", they tout their dress code: "country club casual ambiance," and "tuxedos and gowns are never required". One of the venues for passing along some of life's refinements to the younger generation is fading away. One cruise line at a time. Somewhat sad.

And yet you won't find too many young people on Oceania. They're usually full of very well travelled and well heeled passengers. High end lines are either dropping formal nights or have never had them. I guess the well travelled and well heeled don't need to play dress up on vacation

And yet you won't find too many young people on Oceania. They're usually full of very well travelled and well heeled passengers. High end lines are either dropping formal nights or have never had them. I guess the well travelled and well heeled don't need to play dress up on vacation

The well traveled and well heeled know when and how to dress up and when and where to choose not to. They don't find it necessary to "make a statement', it isn't a big deal to do what's requested and when they don't feel like dressing up, they just make a different choice. What a novel concept.

Edited by Ma Bell

The well traveled and well heeled know when and how to dress up and when and where to choose not to. They don't find it necessary to "make a statement', it isn't a big deal to do what's requested and when they don't feel like dressing up, they just make a different choice. What a novel concept.

What does that have to do with high end lines dropping formal night?

What does that have to do with high end lines dropping formal night?

Hmm... It had at least as much to do with it as your post that she was responding to. :rolleyes: