I know you'll understand

mkl55

So, I retired from my much loved teaching career this June. Very hard. Anyway, DH and I booked a TA on Nieuw Amsterdam for October to celebrate the demise of the academic calendar and....drumroll please...also booked the long anticipated "Family Cruise" with our 3 much loved adult children and their (also much loved) spouses/significant others on the Westerdam. It's our time. All great, right?

Until today when I gave into to my OCD (newly acquired:() and checked our bookings again. Ahhh.....the last cabin number was not a VD and turned out to be an inside!!! A frantic call to our long suffering TA, much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair later...oops. Looking at the wrong deck plan. On NA it is an inside. Westerdam, yup, VD next to all of us. Breathe...

Now, don't you feel better about your life? Thanks for listening.

That first September when school starts and you aren't there is tough. I volunteered and subbed a lot the first few years. Now I go nowhere near the place. My days are filled and fun. Enjoy.

Congratulations on your retirement - I also retired at the end of June after 26 years of being and elementary school administrative assistant. You and I are now on permanent summer vacation and are able to take advantage of seat sales and off-peak prices! Although I am no longer involved in the schools, I still retain my other positions as Justice of the Peace and Marriage Commissioner, so my time will still be busy!

Enjoy your cruises - we're also booked on a T/A in October leaving from Barcelona on the Nieuw Amsterdam . . . have you checked the roll call ? ? ? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1894870

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

Enjoy your retirement. I retired two years ago after teaching for 38 1/2 years and am really enjoying being able to travel any time I want. I go out to lunch the first day of school with fellow retirees and enjoy having more than 25 minutes for lunch!

Have a great time on your cruises!

We've done two TA's on the Nieuw Amsterdam and enjoyed every minute of it. She's a great ship and you are in for a treat. As you are now retired, I suggest you get to Barcelona a few days before sailing and enjoy this wonderful city as well.

That first September when school starts and you aren't there is tough. I volunteered and subbed a lot the first few years. Now I go nowhere near the place. My days are filled and fun. Enjoy.

Sounds like me for the year right after I retired from 38 years teaching middle school (mainly science)

Now I may go and help friends set up their classroom before school opening or a day helping them pack up at the end of the year - just to keep up with all the going-ons.

Retirement is wonderful .... and cruising when school is in session is even better !!!! :D:D

I am starting my seventh year as a retired teacher. I taught 34 years. The first year is hard, only because we have always identified ourselves as being a "teacher". You'll get over it...now I LOVE saying I'm a RETIRED teacher!! We too started cruising off season. Now that it's over, I am truly happy that I decided to be a teacher. You know why....

What I want to know is just what a DW , or DH is. not "designated hitter I think.

And another abbreviation just seen: OCD?

I believe its "darling wife" and "darling husband" or "deplorable wife" and "deplorable husband", as the case may be.

So, I retired from my much loved teaching career this June. Very hard. Anyway, DH and I booked a TA on Nieuw Amsterdam for October to celebrate the demise of the academic calendar and....drumroll please...also booked the long anticipated "Family Cruise" with our 3 much loved adult children and their (also much loved) spouses/significant others on the Westerdam. It's our time. All great, right?

Until today when I gave into to my OCD (newly acquired:() and checked our bookings again. Ahhh.....the last cabin number was not a VD and turned out to be an inside!!! A frantic call to our long suffering TA, much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair later...oops. Looking at the wrong deck plan. On NA it is an inside. Westerdam, yup, VD next to all of us. Breathe...

Now, don't you feel better about your life? Thanks for listening.

We've all done something similar, misread something and then looked sheepish when it's pointed out what we should have read.

I believe its "darling wife" and "darling husband" or "deplorable wife" and "deplorable husband", as the case may be.

Usually OH in the UK - other half, covers a multitude of relationships.

OCD obsessive compulsive disorder.