Westerdam in Glacier Bay - July 8

Crew News

The day in Glacier Bay began in a chilly rain and a proper-temperature Room Service breakfast. I seems that a fog bank appeared just inside Glacier Bay that was reminiscent of the early vampire movies. Ths ship's speed was cut and the fog horn continued to warn of our impending approach. Our time in Glacier Bay was limited to a single glacier viewing.

The Marjorie Glacier seemed to be calving more than usual and for those with video camera capabilities, it was a good show. For those with photo enhancement software, the low-hanging clouds could be tinted to make some very eerie photographs. One hour after departing Glacier Bay I saw the first peek of sunshine which developed into a bright sunny evening until the 9:55 PM sunset.

The Main Dining Room was back to normal attendance and meal service returned to about 90 minutes. The no-sugar-added hazelnut cake was exceptional.

The internet connection is extremely slow which rapidly eats my purchased internet minutes.

The day ended with hope for sunshine the next day in Sitka.