Good price??? Book/wait???

[quote name='CruisinTeacher4']Since we usually don't sail RCCL, I'm trying to gauge the price.

Liberty of the Seas, Dec. 20th (4 nights)
2 adults/2 kids in one cabin
$1542 cabin price ($1800 with tax) and $100 ship credit

Thoughts?[/quote]
What stateroom category?

Whaat type of cabin? For an inside thats a little high, but a balcony, not too bad. It is after all holiday break.

We are on a 5 night on explorer dec 13, inside cabin, $884 for everything. 2adults and 2 kids.

If we could go a week earlier the prices drop drastically but we are both teachers and kids are in school. Most "breaks" start Dec. 20-early Jan where we live so I think that's why prices are a little higher.

I looked on Carnival, too, and their 4 night on older ships (Ecstasy, etc) was only a tad less.

[quote name='CruisinTeacher4']Since we usually don't sail RCCL, I'm trying to gauge the price.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Considering that it's during holiday time, it's an ok price.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Also taking into consideration that you're teachers, you don't have the luxury of choice.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would book now, and watch for price drops. Subscribe to an alert service. There is one on this website, or you can google. It's good for days when you forget to check prices.

If you see a lot of availability before final payment, you can cancel and then wait until after final to book. This only works if you are willing to gamble, but if you are, you may do better. Also consider 2 inside doubles. After final, triples and quads are scarce, but there are usually lots of doubles.

I know it's holiday time, but I wonder how many people really want to go on a cruise and get home on Christmas Eve. Edited by marci22

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Your thread title includes the question of "book or wait". When you book a reservation with RCI the price at the time of booking is locked in against any price increases that may occur later.

However, should the price decrease at any time prior to your final payment date, you can take advantage of the lower price with your booking. Your deposit is also refundable prior to final payment, so you have the option to cancel or change to a different itinerary if desired. In other words, no risk in booking when you see a price within you budget and the flexibility to benefit from future lower prices.

If you are booking through a TA just ask them to be sure they offer the same flexibility in managing your reservation and without additional fees imposed by them for any changes or modifications made to the booking. Edited by leaveitallbehind

I just tried mock booking us in 2 rooms--it is actually cheaper????? WTH???? Have I been slumming it with 4 in a room all these years when I could have had 2 rooms for the same price??

If we book 2 rooms of 2 people it's $1700 with tax (about $100 cheaper than 4 to a room) and we get $100 credit for both rooms ($200 total).

These sounds like a nice deal! Maybe price will even fall before final payment:)

Based on the responses so far you probably can conclude that prices are high at the moment. The date you are sailing is typically a slow period with lower prices. Last year the prices for liberty 5 day dec cruise was about 239pp and then dropped drastically in November to a near record low. For instance 5 day dec 2 dropped from 199 to 139pp on liberty - last minute. It is unlikely that will drop this much again, but we are expecting some better promotions soon. If you are comfortable with the current pricing book now and watch for drops.

[quote name='CruisinTeacher4']I just tried mock booking us in 2 rooms--it is actually cheaper????? WTH???? Have I been slumming it with 4 in a room all these years when I could have had 2 rooms for the same price??

If we book 2 rooms of 2 people it's $1700 with tax (about $100 cheaper than 4 to a room) and we get $100 credit for both rooms ($200 total).

These sounds like a nice deal! Maybe price will even fall before final payment:)[/quote]
Even a better deal when you consider you get two bathrooms.:)

[quote name='CruisinTeacher4']I just tried mock booking us in 2 rooms--it is actually cheaper????? WTH???? Have I been slumming it with 4 in a room all these years when I could have had 2 rooms for the same price??

These sounds like a nice deal! Maybe price will even fall before final payment:)[/QUOTE]

yeah they raise the prices on the first two in the Ks when you book 3 or 4 so sometimes you can get two insides for less if you are just booking doubles. Also check the various inside categories (L, M, N) to be sure you are getting the lowest inside price. Edited by marci22

That seems pretty high.

Wife and I are seeing that same price for a balcony on the Freedom in the Caribbean in March, 2016.

With that said, if that's the itinerary you want, book it now. When the price inevitably falls (assuming its before your final payment date) call up RCI and they'll lower your price to the new price you see. Do that every time you see a price decrease.

These sounds like a nice deal! Maybe price will even fall before final payment:)[/quote]

Connecting cabins may not be available later so I'd book and watch prices.

Agree with all above, and if you opt for two cabins, best to book now to get any connecting that are available; if none, then next best nearby cabin arrangement--if you wait, cabins could be farther apart than your comfort level, depending on kids' ages! Please know that if kids are under 21, Royal will want the reservation set up as one adult + one kid per cabin, but no worries--if they are old enough to stay alone, you can go to Guest Relations after embarking and get keys changed (they don't care how you sleep once on board).

Have fun on your holiday cruise--love those decorated ships and festive special touches!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I had 2 cabins booked on this sailing since last year. Got a great deal a JS at $450pp CDN and a balcony beside it for $330pp CDN. It was an Ontario resident rate.

I had to switch dates and ships as my DW is also a teacher and we would not be able to drive to FLL in tie for the Saturday departure.

It would not surprise me if he price on this cruise dropped a bit. With it docking on the 24'th not a lot of people will be interested. We travel during the holidays and I found that unless you are on board for Christmas or New Years day the prices are pretty cheap.

last years sailing we had a D1 balcony with 4 of us for $1600 taxes in for Dec 26 to 30th on the Liberty.

Last year we combined the 4 day with the 5 day Christmas sailing that I picked up in September at $499pp for an inside cabin.

BTW. Loved the Liberty at Christmas. Edited by Ourusualbeach

[quote name='CruisinTeacher4']Thank you everyone. Very good points. I will probably just book since we'll have the whole connecting cabin thing. Hopefully the prices will drop by mid Oct's final payment but if not, I still feel okay with the price:o[/quote]

I've seen people book quads and then rates go down but NOT on triples and quad cabins so they didn't get the price drop, and then they want to seperate and get two cabins at new rate but no connecting available. If there aren't many connecting inside cabins, consider connecting OV b/c sometimes they are more likely to drop in price just b/c many of them and in the end might be hardly any difference in price of OV versus Inside.

Good Luck. Hopefullly you'll get a price drop before final payment. If some really great promo comes out that makes you consider bunking up together, like 3rd/4th pax free, then you could reconsider switching as long as its before final payment. IF that happens, consider a location not too far from gym and Dad and a son (if you have one) could shower in full sized shower there, packing some flip flops and a bag, while the others get ready.