Come on Royal when will it get better??

I just don't understand why Royal can not get their act together in terms of website and training!

I have had my issues with Royal and have read many posts on this subject, but my resent problem has left me really shaking my head and wondering why this company can not get it together.

I booked a cruise back in February for this October. We needed an accessible cabin and there was not one available, so per their policy they upgraded us to the available accessible cabin in the next category. Very nice!

After what seemed an eternity the rep told me everything had been approved and verified by her manager and I received an invoice with the "special pricing". Since then every time I have tried to get on the website to research or do anything, it changes the balance I owe, so to begin with I called spent a long time on the phone supposedly got it fixed. Then the next time would come and the same thing would happen. Finally yesterday for the 4th time, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the IT department trying to get it fixed. Their conclusion... The invoice I received back in Feb had a wrong price for my Son, and it should have been $200.00 more, he said he was sorry, and understands that I might be angry, but I own 200.00 more, but for my trouble he will throw in a bottle of wine.

I explained that yes I was angry, and that after all the corrections other reps had to make every time I had to call NO ONE ever said the price was wrong, and now I was just supposed to take his word that the price was now wrong. I don't think so.

After I explained that I was already using a future cruise credit for this cruise, after them ruining our last family cruise, and that obviously their customer service had not gotten any better...He changed the invoice to the balance that I was supposed to pay to begin with and gave me $50.00 CC.

This is the best part...He told me it would be best to go ahead and pay final payment now so that this could't happen again, and NOT to go on the website at all to plan or book or pay for anything, as it could mess everything up!!! Seriously? I can't plan my vacation because their website is so bad?

I told him I was very concerned because I had read where customers were told that their reservations were cancelled due to them going on the website and "making changes" when they didn't. I'm afraid that I will pay what my balance is supposed to be, and they will have a different figure and cancel my reservation. He said that won't happen, but they have not earned my trust in the past...

Everyone PLEASE keep a close watch on your reservations, and Royal PLEASE do something about your Website and training!

Thanks for listening

I'm a little surprised that you have stated that it is RCI policy to upgrade you free of charge to the next level accessible category if no accessible cabin in a lower category is available. We also have to book accessible cabins... and if one isn't available as an inside we have always had to book a higher category, if available. Just as if we were trying to book an inside cabin - and non were available, we would have to go up a category. Can you direct me to where this policy is stated? I'm thinking that RCI is just trying to accommodate a mistake that one of their managers made back in February. But if this is a firm policy I'd love to see it in writing!!!

I hope you get it all worked out... it is a great perk!

We needed an accessible cabin and there was not one available, so per their policy they upgraded us to the available accessible cabin in the next category. Very nice!

I know this is policy but this is the first time I have heard of someone getting the next category up for the same price. Usually people don't seem to pursue it if their category is not available. Good to know.

It seems to me that it's a real crapshoot as to who answers the phone. Sometimes it seems like it's a young person on their first job and they don't know anything; other times it seems like high level executives are taking the calls. It is so weird.

I'm a little surprised that you have stated that it is RCI policy to upgrade you free of charge to the next level accessible category if no accessible cabin in a lower category is available. We also have to book accessible cabins... and if one isn't available as an inside we have always had to book a higher category, if available. Just as if we were trying to book an inside cabin - and non were available, we would have to go up a category. Can you direct me to where this policy is stated? I'm thinking that RCI is just trying to accommodate a mistake that one of their managers made back in February. But if this is a firm policy I'd love to see it in writing!!!

I hope you get it all worked out... it is a great perk!

It's not really a perk, I saw it in ADA law. I am going to look for it.

Linda, we had no idea that it was their policy either. I was shocked. We have never been offered it before, but we book so far in advance usually, that finding a accessible cabin hasn't been a problem. I could not tell you where to look for the policy.

Thanks

I just don't understand why Royal can not get their act together in terms of website and training!

I have had my issues with Royal and have read many posts on this subject, but my resent problem has left me really shaking my head and wondering why this company can not get it together.

I booked a cruise back in February for this October. We needed an accessible cabin and there was not one available, so per their policy they upgraded us to the available accessible cabin in the next category. Very nice!

After what seemed an eternity the rep told me everything had been approved and verified by her manager and I received an invoice with the "special pricing". Since then every time I have tried to get on the website to research or do anything, it changes the balance I owe, so to begin with I called spent a long time on the phone supposedly got it fixed. Then the next time would come and the same thing would happen. Finally yesterday for the 4th time, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the IT department trying to get it fixed. Their conclusion... The invoice I received back in Feb had a wrong price for my Son, and it should have been $200.00 more, he said he was sorry, and understands that I might be angry, but I own 200.00 more, but for my trouble he will throw in a bottle of wine.

I explained that yes I was angry, and that after all the corrections other reps had to make every time I had to call NO ONE ever said the price was wrong, and now I was just supposed to take his word that the price was now wrong. I don't think so.

After I explained that I was already using a future cruise credit for this cruise, after them ruining our last family cruise, and that obviously their customer service had not gotten any better...He changed the invoice to the balance that I was supposed to pay to begin with and gave me $50.00 CC.

This is the best part...He told me it would be best to go ahead and pay final payment now so that this could't happen again, and NOT to go on the website at all to plan or book or pay for anything, as it could mess everything up!!! Seriously? I can't plan my vacation because their website is so bad?

I told him I was very concerned because I had read where customers were told that their reservations were cancelled due to them going on the website and "making changes" when they didn't. I'm afraid that I will pay what my balance is supposed to be, and they will have a different figure and cancel my reservation. He said that won't happen, but they have not earned my trust in the past...

Everyone PLEASE keep a close watch on your reservations, and Royal PLEASE do something about your Website and training!

Thanks for listening

1396534722817.jpg

A Rule by the Transportation Department on 07/06/2010

"The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service. PVOs, (passenger vessel operators*) however, cannot properly impose costs on disabled passengers because vessels lack accessible cabins in some classes of service. If a passenger with a disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive classes of service, the PVO must make accessible cabins available to passengers with disabilities at no more than the cost of the class of service the passenger requests. Under a nondiscrimination rule, disabled passengers, like all other passengers, should be able to purchase accommodations they can use at a price they are willing to pay."

Section 39.39How do PVOs ensure that passengers with disabilities are able to use accessible cabins?

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/07/06/2010-15101/transportation-for-individuals-with-disabilities-passenger-vessels#h-25

Edited by marci22

"The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service. PVOs, (passenger vessel operators*) however, cannot properly impose costs on disabled passengers because vessels lack accessible cabins in some classes of service. If a passenger with a disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive classes of service, the PVO must make accessible cabins available to passengers with disabilities at no more than the cost of the class of service the passenger requests. Under a nondiscrimination rule, disabled passengers, like all other passengers, should be able to purchase accommodations they can use at a price they are willing to pay."

I am looking for recent updates as the original source is not found (Federal Register)

Thanks for taking the time to post this... we have 19 cruises booked... so I doubt they will honor the price difference on those.. but we'll look into it on our next booking. Thanks again for taking the time... it is good to know.

Section 39.5To whom do the provisions of this Part apply?

The Department is applying the provisions of this Part to all passenger vessels, regardless of size. There are three major exceptions to this general coverage. First, while all U.S.-flagged vessels would be covered, coverage of foreign-flag vessels would be limited to those that pick up or discharge passengers in the U.S. For example, suppose a foreign-flag cruise PVO operates two ships. One of them sails only among ports in Europe. Another picks up passengers in Miami and cruises to several Caribbean ports. The latter would be covered and the former would not. ...This rule covers only those vessels that pick up or discharge passengers in the U.S.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/07/06/2010-15101/transportation-for-individuals-with-disabilities-passenger-vessels#h-12

Section 39.39How do PVOs ensure that passengers with disabilities are able to use accessible cabins?

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/07/06/2010-15101/transportation-for-individuals-with-disabilities-passenger-vessels#h-25

Maybe I am reading this differently but I read this to be that if the PVO offered accessible cabins in only one class (example balcony) then someone could request to book one at an inside rate.

I do not read this to imply that if the accessible inside cabins are all sold out that they have to upgrade them. RCI does have accessible cabins available in every class except for some of the larger suites.

Maybe I am reading this differently but I read this to be that if the PVO offered accessible cabins in only one class (example balcony) then someone could request to book one at an inside rate.

I do not read this to imply that if the accessible inside cabins are all sold out that they have to upgrade them. RCI does have accessible cabins available in every class except for some of the larger suites.

I guess it could work either way. In the OPs case, she was moved up to a higher category accessible cabin.

Another example that someone has posted in the past: there is a balcony guarantee, and the accessible cabin you want is a specific E2. You should still get the guarantee price because they can't penalize you for needing an accessible cabin.

Ok, I feel I must chime in. First, if you would have used a travel agent instead of the RCCL website, I think you would have not had this issue nor the hassle. That's what travel agents are for!

Second, I have traveled the last four years with two disabled parents and have NEVER had a higher category accessible cabin offered to me. In fact, if one wasn't available at the JS category (which we always use), they never offered to go higher and I simply switched to a different itinerary so that my request could be accommodated.

Thanks for the info on that, as I will be better prepared next time.

Second, I have traveled the last four years with two disabled parents and have NEVER had a higher category accessible cabin offered to me. In fact, if one wasn't available at the JS category (which we always use), they never offered to go higher and I simply switched to a different itinerary so that my request could be accommodated.

Some ships may not have accessible cabins higher than a JS?

Ok, I feel I must chime in. First, if you would have used a travel agent instead of the RCCL website, I think you would have not had this issue nor the hassle. That's what travel agents are for!

We have done the same thing... switched dates or itinerary to obtain an accessible cabin. But I believe that JS is the highest accessible cabin on all ships, with the exception of the Oasis Class, where they do have an accessible Crown Loft Suite. Next time I book I'll see what they will do if an accessible stateroom in a lower category isn't available. It is worth a shot!

Guest maddycat

Thanks for listening

I hope that your have sent a letter/email to RCI's main office in Miami relating your experience. It might be more effective than just posting on CC. Hopefully, they will realize that their IT dept. and their website are substandard. People are frustrated and RCI is most likely loosing business because of it.

I plan to send a more formal letter outlining all that has transpired since booking my cruise. I do believe they are aware of their websites issues, so not sure how much my complaint will help.

I had the same thing happen to me with a cruise with a future cruise credit. Everytime I went on line and signed in, it would change the price to the price without the credits. I would have to call RCCL each time to fix it. Finally I was told not to sign in to my account until after the cruise. "I have 7 other cruises booked" I told the rep. She gave me someone in IT who after 2 hours got it fixed.

Crazy!

I'm sure OP has misinterpreted this. When they say vessels "may not have" they mean they aren't even built into the ship. They don't mean sold out.

That's why RCI has interior, OV, balcony, and JS accessible cabins. They have ALL the lower accessible cabins available at the time of release. When they are sold out, they are sold out, and they are not obligated to upgrade you.

If they did NOT have an interior accessible cabin built into the ship and that is what you wanted to book, even on the day of release, then they would be obligated to book you into an OV accessible at what would have been the interior price at that given time.

No, you are not entitled to an upgrade because of a sell out any more than anyone else is. If this was the case then every single disabled person would say they wanted an interior accessible cabin and RCI would be forced to give them the remaining JS accessible, if this the only one left, at an interior price. But since this is not the proper interpretation by you (OP), those accessible cabins are released to the general public not long before sailing.

You are lucky you got the price you did at all although I agree about the IT dept.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

I had the same thing happen to me with a cruise with a future cruise credit. Everytime I went on line and signed in, it would change the price to the price without the credits. I would have to call RCCL each time to fix it. Finally I was told not to sign in to my account until after the cruise. "I have 7 other cruises booked" I told the rep. She gave me someone in IT who after 2 hours got it fixed.

Crazy!

I've had the same thing happen 3 times and have been told the same thing. "Call us to make any changes, don't log in to your cruise". :eek:

Gina

You are exactly right. OP is causing a problem for RCI as now some people are going to call and demand what the OP did which is a totally wrong interpretation.

If it meant what OP wants us to believe, it would state this: The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may have sold out of accessible cabins in some classes of service." instead of this, The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service."

may not have=not built

Gina

I'm sure OP has misinterpreted this. When they say vessels "may not have" they mean they aren't even built into the ship. They don't mean sold out.

That's why RCI has interior, OV, balcony, and JS accessible cabins. They have ALL the lower accessible cabins available at the time of release. When they are sold out, they are sold out, and they are not obligated to upgrade you.

If they did NOT have an interior accessible cabin built into the ship and that is what you wanted to book, even on the day of release, then they would be obligated to book you into an OV accessible at what would have been the interior price at that given time.

No, you are not entitled to an upgrade because of a sell out any more than anyone else is. If this was the case then every single disabled person would say they wanted an interior accessible cabin and RCI would be forced to give them the remaining JS accessible, if this the only one left, at an interior price. But since this is not the proper interpretation by you (OP), those accessible cabins are released to the general public not long before sailing.

You are lucky you got the price you did at all although I agree about the IT dept.

Gina

I did not misinterpret anything. The Rep clearly stated that due to an accessible cabin in the category we wanted not being available that their policy was to upgrade to the next available category. I had never heard anything like this before, and I certainly didn't asked for it. She took it from there and got it all approved by her supervisor, while I waited on the phone. I was just happy to get the sail date we wanted.

I am certainly grateful for the upgrade, however we would have been just as happy in the category we originally asked for as well.

I did not misinterpret anything. The Rep clearly stated that due to an accessible cabin in the category we wanted not being available that their policy was to upgrade to the next available category. I had never heard anything like this before, and I certainly didn't asked for it. She took it from there and got it all approved by her supervisor, while I waited on the phone. I was just happy to get the sail date we wanted.

I am certainly grateful for the upgrade, however we would have been just as happy in the category we originally asked for as well.

If that's their policy, then fine. But that's certainly not what that law means so they are not legally obligated.

Gina

You are exactly right. OP is causing a problem for RCI as now some people are going to call and demand what the OP did which is a totally wrong interpretation.

If it meant what OP wants us to believe, it would state this: The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may have sold out of accessible cabins in some classes of service." instead of this, The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service."

may not have=not built

Gina

Excuse me, but I believe RCL is once again causing their own problems, by not training their Reps correctly.

I do not wish you to believe anything, as I stated before I did not even know this policy existed until the Rep brought it to my attention. Also keep in mind I dealt with 4 other reps and IT,trying to get things cleared up, all of which I explained in detail my experience and all that transpired and not one of them said that wasn't their policy and that it was a mistake.