Come on Royal when will it get better??

You are exactly right. OP is causing a problem for RCI as now some people are going to call and demand what the OP did which is a totally wrong interpretation.

If it meant what OP wants us to believe, it would state this: The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may have sold out of accessible cabins in some classes of service." instead of this, The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service."

Well OP didn't seem to demand anything, Royal said it's their policy. I am the one who posted the ADA excerpt, not OP. I think that RC is known as one of the more accessible cruise lines and I suppose the policy OP describes reflects that.

However, it probably will cause problems by being posted here as no one seems to have known about this policy and now we do. Not OPs fault though.

I'm just saying that law is being totally misinterpreted. Maybe by RCI, too, in which case they are causing their own problems. I'm not convinced this is even their policy but maybe the rep that booked it this way made the mistake.

I haven't heard of anyone getting a free accessible upgrade in a supercategory, but I have heard of people getting an accessible price adjustment within a category.

For example if they see a price for a (regular cabin) E3 that is cheaper than a (regular cabin) E2, and no accessible E3 left (sold out or otherwise), I would expect Royal to upgrade to accessible E2 (at same price) because it is within the same general category. Or if there is a balcony guarantee for one level, (say E2) but the accessible is in the next category up (say E1), I would expect Royal to match the price of the accessible for the balcony guarantee.

Since OP is saying price difference was $200, it sounds like a within a category upgrade.

Too bad we are trying to figure out why they are doing something. It should be posted on the website if it is a policy.

If RC interprets the law and creates this type of policy, I think that's fair especially for those who really need those accessible cabins. I think it's also good customer service to be that accomodating.

On the flip side, you worry that it will be taken advantage of. Waiting until those lower category cabins are not available and then insisting on being bumped up to higher categories. Human nature says someone WILL take advantage of that.

I do applaud RC for making efforts for their disabled cruisers though. I just hope it's not taken advantage of. As someone who has family with a disability (deaf---my wife, my mom and dad, uncles, aunts, etc) its always a concern as to whether fair and reasonable accomodations will be provided.

I had the same thing happen to me with a cruise with a future cruise credit. Everytime I went on line and signed in, it would change the price to the price without the credits. I would have to call RCCL each time to fix it. Finally I was told not to sign in to my account until after the cruise. "I have 7 other cruises booked" I told the rep. She gave me someone in IT who after 2 hours got it fixed.

Crazy!

Is this specific to those using future cruise credit or all reservations getting repriced when log in? I'm a little afraid to go and do online forms and enter CC info and final Seapass documents for fully paid cruise if it will mess up future reservation! Wow, this really is a mess.

If RC interprets the law and creates this type of policy, I think that's fair especially for those who really need those accessible cabins. I think it's also good customer service to be that accomodating.

On the flip side, you worry that it will be taken advantage of. Waiting until those lower category cabins are not available and then insisting on being bumped up to higher categories. Human nature says someone WILL take advantage of that.

I do applaud RC for making efforts for their disabled cruisers though. I just hope it's not taken advantage of. As someone who has family with a disability (deaf---my wife, my mom and dad, uncles, aunts, etc) its always a concern as to whether fair and reasonable accomodations will be provided.

We haven't seen any evidence from RCI that this is their interpretation. Didn't OP mention having a problem on the previous cruise? There is no telling what was done and why behind the scenes.

Unfortunately disabled policies are taken advantage of by those who aren't disabled as some of us have seen with service dogs on board. Real service dogs aren't unruly, don't take their owners for a walk (if you know what I mean), or bark in the centrum.

"Disabled" people sometimes use a cane out of convenience. Such as to get on planes first for the best choice of seating with SWA. Yes, I've seen this. If someone has no problem walking around the slippery galley floors with no cane, I'm sure they don't need it to walk the short distance onto the plane.

I've seen the use of a cane for convenience on a ship, too, in order to gain access to an accessible room.

The people who really need the rooms sometimes can't get them because of abuse (probably rare). The theme parks in Orlando have had problems with this and have had to adjust their line/queue policies because of it.

Gina

Gina

Is this specific to those using future cruise credit or all reservations getting repriced when log in? I'm a little afraid to go and do online forms and enter CC info and final Seapass documents for fully paid cruise if it will mess up future reservation! Wow, this really is a mess.

So far, I've not heard of a booking being messed up if the only thing done is to complete online check-in. Also, I read one report that said things are less likely to get messed up if you avoid logging into the website. Do your online check-in by going to Royal's home page and clicking "Online Check-in" at the bottom of the page.

Only the cruise with the future cruise credit would reprice upon logging in.

We also had a cruise that this happened to every time we logged in. It did not have a future cruise credit on it, but it did have a B of A Visa award on it.

Altho we are frequent RCCL cruisers, we cannot ignore two issues with the cruise line that seemingly need improvement. First the IT system, especially shipboard, is long overdue for meaningful improvement. Secondly, all reps on the company phones should be so well trained that customers should not get different responses from different agents.

So far, I've not heard of a booking being messed up if the only thing done is to complete online check-in. Also, I read one report that said things are less likely to get messed up if you avoid logging into the website. Do your online check-in by going to Royal's home page and clicking "Online Check-in" at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, I'll do that. I was going to consider purchasing kids soda cups while online but with the excursion IT issues I've seen referenced but didn't really read thru........... maybe that can wait until on ship.

Thanks, I'll do that. I was going to consider purchasing kids soda cups while online but with the excursion IT issues I've seen referenced but didn't really read thru........... maybe that can wait until on ship.

A couple of advantages of waiting to buy onboard: You get the cups immediately rather than having to wait until the staterooms open, and you an use on board credit for the purchase.

Altho we are frequent RCCL cruisers, we cannot ignore two issues with the cruise line that seemingly need improvement. First the IT system, especially shipboard, is long overdue for meaningful improvement. Secondly, all reps on the company phones should be so well trained that customers should not get different responses from different agents.

Exactly. I totally agree. Employees want to be well trained. Why aren't they?

A couple of advantages of waiting to buy onboard: You get the cups immediately rather than having to wait until the staterooms open, and you an use on board credit for the purchase.

Yep, but we'll blow thru our small about of obc anyway and the kids don't love to carry them around so they are usually mostly a souvenier. We'll probably have rolling carryon luggage so carrying cups one less thing to deal with at lunch.

Is there a seperate line for soda package versus other packages? I'd think lines are longer now that selling more than just soda cards. We have little patience for lines so it's sort of nice to park luggage and let kids find a bar for quick soda to take to WJ and settle in and eat until cabins open.

I just don't understand why Royal can not get their act together in terms of website and training!

I have had my issues with Royal and have read many posts on this subject, but my resent problem has left me really shaking my head and wondering why this company can not get it together.

I booked a cruise back in February for this October. We needed an accessible cabin and there was not one available, so per their policy they upgraded us to the available accessible cabin in the next category. Very nice!

After what seemed an eternity the rep told me everything had been approved and verified by her manager and I received an invoice with the "special pricing". Since then every time I have tried to get on the website to research or do anything, it changes the balance I owe, so to begin with I called spent a long time on the phone supposedly got it fixed. Then the next time would come and the same thing would happen. Finally yesterday for the 4th time, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the IT department trying to get it fixed. Their conclusion... The invoice I received back in Feb had a wrong price for my Son, and it should have been $200.00 more, he said he was sorry, and understands that I might be angry, but I own 200.00 more, but for my trouble he will throw in a bottle of wine.

I explained that yes I was angry, and that after all the corrections other reps had to make every time I had to call NO ONE ever said the price was wrong, and now I was just supposed to take his word that the price was now wrong. I don't think so.

After I explained that I was already using a future cruise credit for this cruise, after them ruining our last family cruise, and that obviously their customer service had not gotten any better...He changed the invoice to the balance that I was supposed to pay to begin with and gave me $50.00 CC.

This is the best part...He told me it would be best to go ahead and pay final payment now so that this could't happen again, and NOT to go on the website at all to plan or book or pay for anything, as it could mess everything up!!! Seriously? I can't plan my vacation because their website is so bad?

I told him I was very concerned because I had read where customers were told that their reservations were cancelled due to them going on the website and "making changes" when they didn't. I'm afraid that I will pay what my balance is supposed to be, and they will have a different figure and cancel my reservation. He said that won't happen, but they have not earned my trust in the past...

Everyone PLEASE keep a close watch on your reservations, and Royal PLEASE do something about your Website and training!

Thanks for listening

for legality sake...

They have to upgrade you IF they do not offer an accessible cabin in that category.

Ex: you want to book an inside cabin and there is no such thing as an inside accessible cabin on the ship. Then they have to offer you.. just say the next category up. Ocean view at the Inside Stateroom price.

They DO NOT however, have to upgrade you if that cabin is reserved already. Technically its not their fault that someone beat you to that cabin ;).

I'm sure OP has misinterpreted this. When they say vessels "may not have" they mean they aren't even built into the ship. They don't mean sold out.

That's why RCI has interior, OV, balcony, and JS accessible cabins. They have ALL the lower accessible cabins available at the time of release. When they are sold out, they are sold out, and they are not obligated to upgrade you.

If they did NOT have an interior accessible cabin built into the ship and that is what you wanted to book, even on the day of release, then they would be obligated to book you into an OV accessible at what would have been the interior price at that given time.

No, you are not entitled to an upgrade because of a sell out any more than anyone else is. If this was the case then every single disabled person would say they wanted an interior accessible cabin and RCI would be forced to give them the remaining JS accessible, if this the only one left, at an interior price. But since this is not the proper interpretation by you (OP), those accessible cabins are released to the general public not long before sailing.

You are lucky you got the price you did at all

Are you sure about this? Can you direct me to a source for this? I make no claims being an ADA expert, but I thought that as long as they had any interiors (as an example), then a person who needs an assessable stateroom is entitled to one at the interior price. Only when all interiors are sold out does the company no longer have to offer an assessable stateroom at that price. I think that is where the "adequate numbers of accessible cabins" comes into operation. Am I wrong on that?

Thom

Are you sure about this? Can you direct me to a source for this? I make no claims being an ADA expert, but I thought that as long as they had any interiors (as an example), then a person who needs an assessable stateroom is entitled to one at the interior price. Only when all interiors are sold out does the company no longer have to offer an assessable stateroom at that price. I think that is where the "adequate numbers of accessible cabins" comes into operation. Am I wrong on that?

Thom

That was my initial interpretation but I'm not sure anymore. I think it is about having the category initially available as accessible. I read somewhere that ADA made that rule so that ships would be encouraged to have all categories of accessible available, rather than just a few.

I think it applies to general categories though. For ex on Radiance, there are E3 and E2 accessibles. E1-3 are different prices usually. So if you wanted an E3 accessible for the price, and it was sold out, I think they would upgrade you to the E2 for the same price. Because if you did not need the accessible, you would be able to book the category at a lower price.

Likewise, if there is a guarantee category E for a cheaper price than a specific E2, and you need an E2 accessible (specific cabin) they should offer you the guarantee price, because you do not have the option of having a non-accessible cabin. I have seen people post that.

I wonder what cabins OP went from and to.

They've tried for many years to get their web site working. At this point, they should realize that they just don't have the resources to operate an e-commerce site, and they should just outsource the site to Amazon, or other company with e-commerce experience.

It's really a mess. From basic searches that show the wrong information, to constant issues of payments due when the cruise has already been paid in full, to wrong number of C&A points, and many other issues.

They need to hire a competent team to manage the e-commerce component of their business.

Thom

Yes and yes.