Lodging in Cinque Terre

cruisePAC

Can anyone suggest lodging in Cinque Terre for October 2014 for 4 adults (60 - 70 years old)? I've done some research and run into dead ends. We prefer Vernazza, but are willing to stay in any of the villages.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

You need to look at one of the hotel booking sites. My wife and I are going to be in Vernazza in early October, had no trouble at all booking a double for 3 nights.. You are probably going to have to book two rooms, however, and perhaps that's your problem if you're looking for one that will sleep four.

Edited by Langoustine

You may enjoy Porto Venere. It isn't technically part of the Cinque Terre but it has all the same charm and is just a short ferry ride from the there. It would be an excellent place to stay with more hotel and dining choices. It can be easily accessed by car and then you can visit or hike the villages without the bother of dragging luggage from the train or ferry.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g194862-Porto_Venere_Italian_Riviera_Liguria-Hotels.html

You could be brave and just ask around when you get there. We were led to a wonderful room right on the main street in Vernazza. Rick Steves has some suggestions in his guide. If you do a Google search you will get some leads.

You could do what we did for our land tour in June that included 3 nights in Cinque Terra. We checked Rick Steves, first, only finding 3-4 places that met our needs, but none had availability. Then checked TripAdvisor, thoroughly going thru all the listing, and started contacting places that sounded like they met our needs, until we found one with available rooms. We stayed at the Porto Roca, in Monterrosa. Very nice.

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone suggest lodging in Cinque Terre for October 2014 for 4 adults (60 - 70 years old)? I've done some research and run into dead ends. We prefer Vernazza, but are willing to stay in any of the villages.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Vernazza is very small and it doesn't have as many things to do like shopping, restaurants etc. If you are happy just relaxing and enjoying the beauty, this might be your place. Hotel Steno and Hotel Pascule(right on the beach) are owned by the same family. Then there is Hotel Porto Roca( a bit dated but the best views on the cliff , especially if you can get a sea view/terrece room on the top floor(corner if possible.) I had some friends stay in a lemon grove hotel recommended by Rick Steves. It also served some pasta included with the price. Sorry, but I don't remember the name. Always put your name on a list in case of cancellations! It is amazing how many times this happens. Monterosa has much more to do...

I also agree with the OP about trying relentlessly...

Edited by Lastdance

also look at airbnb and vrbo for apartments to rent. Be sure you know how many staircases (inside AND outside) it takes to get to the units. There are a lot of staired walkways in Vernazza and hardly any elevators.

We rented our "room" (a 1 bedroom that also had a sleeper sofa in the living room, no kitchen) for the 3 of us. My friend rented it through the daughter of the family that owns the Vulnetia restaurant. The building was right on the main walkway that runs from the harbor up to the train station. It was up a steep set of inside stairs. We enjoyed that room for several days during our stay in Vernazza. The website is http://www.camerenicolina.it/index_eng.htm

we had the "room Nicole". Right across the walk was a very good deli, a produce store, and a bakery. We'd hit each for stuff and use it for one of our meals each day - nothing better than good salumi, cheeses, foccacia, tomatoes, olives and a bottle (or two) of wine!

The best place to stay actually is in La Spezia at Hotel Firenze & Continental across the street from La Spezia railway station . Great hotel and buffet breakfast . Excellent Roma Restaurant across the street .

With a CT Daily Pass from the CT Tourist Office in La Spezia station you are 10 minutes by train to Riomaggiore (nearest village) or 25 minutes to Monterosso (the furthest village.)

From La Spezia you can also take Bus P from bus Stop P in Via Garabaldi (near intersection of Corso Cavour) to Portovenere (trip time 30mins). (Buses leave La Spezia stop P at 25 & 55 minutes past the hour .)

From the waterfront at Portovenere depart by ferry at 1000am or 1100am to Cinque Terre calling at Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza and finally Monterosso. Total time to Monterosso 60 minutes.

In Monterosso ferries arrive in the old town, and the railway station is in the new town . The two halves are linked by a shared use pedestrian/road tunnel.

Of the coastal path linking the 5 villages of the CT the only section currently open is between Vernazza and Monterosso ( 1 1/2 hours) lots of steps and precipitous drops, for experienced hikers .