Milk

scmexico

Milk is available at all meals and in the buffet and 24 hours a day from room service.

They have regular milk and also a lower fat variety (which may be skim milk, 1%, 2% or some other %) which seems to vary from cruise to cruise.

Unfortunately all I've found on the various Princess ships I've been on, is either whole milk or skim milk; nothing in between. My personal preference is 1%, but I could handle 2% in a pinch. Whole milk now has the texture of heavy cream and skim milk tastes like the powdered milk (major yuck!) I had when I was stationed in Tripoli Libya many years ago.

Edited by Treven

Unfortunately all I've found on the various Princess ships I've been on, is either whole milk or skim milk; nothing in between. My personal preference is 1%, but I could handle 2% in a pinch. Whole milk now has the texture of heavy cream and skim milk tastes like the powdered milk (major yuck!) I had when I was stationed in Tripoli Libya many years ago.

I once found myself out of milk and in a small store. They only had one container of whole milk which is my preference and several of skim. I bought one of each and mixed at home. Here in Canada, the fiction of whole milk is 3.25% MF. The mix would then be half that. May help some of you.

When we were doing our land tour of Australia, we learned about Full Cream milk -

"Full Cream Milk

What it is: Full cream milk or full-fat milk is cow’s milk that contains on average 3.8% fat.

How it's made: Full cream milk comes from Daisy’s udders, then is homogenised and pasteurised to create a silky, white liquid."

I have been spoiled ever since and unfortunately can not get it in the states. If we could my wife who feels that it is her job to keep me healthy would not let me drink it.

The stuff is wonderful.

DON

When we were doing our land tour of Australia, we learned about Full Cream milk -

"Full Cream Milk

What it is: Full cream milk or full-fat milk is cow’s milk that contains on average 3.8% fat.

How it's made: Full cream milk comes from Daisy’s udders, then is homogenised and pasteurised to create a silky, white liquid."

I have been spoiled ever since and unfortunately can not get it in the states. If we could my wife who feels that it is her job to keep me healthy would not let me drink it.

The stuff is wonderful.

DON

I've probably had that. When growing up in Southern Indiana I would often spend summers on an aunt & uncle's farm. One of my chores was to help milk the cows; as this was the late '50s - early '60s, milking was done by hand -no modern milking machines. My aunt would keep some of the fresh milk aside for her family and the majority would go to the milk co-op. I'm fairly certain it didn't kill me.

Edited by Treven

A waiter mixed them at the table for my mom, when she

asked for 2% milk.

We saw the same waiter a few years later. He looked at my

mom, and said 2% milk. Pretty amazing, with thousands of

people in between that he remembered what she wanted.

If your cow has milk which is ONLY 3.8%, she is not well fed. Most dairy cows produce higher grade milk. The dairies skim the excess off for cream and cheeses. Those products have higher margin.

My 3 cents,

M

I agree with the person that the lowfat version varies cruise to cruise. Where some folks are wine tasters, my wife can identify skim, 1/2 percent, 1percent, etc. without fail.

Milk may be labeled skim on the pitcher, but might be some other lowfat version depending on where in the world you are and the source Princess uses.

We're two of the weird people who prefer skim milk, not anything higher. This thread has been very educational because we keep ordering skim or non-fat milk, and often get something they say is skim, but is far too rich for our taste. From now on, if we can't get skim milk on the first day, we'll just give up trying for the rest of the cruise.

I knew about the cartons at breakfast but I really enjoy a nice cold glass of milk with desert or afternoon hot cookies.

Thanks for all your help.

Where have you seen individual cartons recently on any Princess ship? Buffets seem to have eliminated them some time ago.

There are no cartons of milk on Princess ships. My DH likes a glass of milk at odd times of the day & it was not easy to get. Sometimes the waiter from the buffet would disappear for a few minutes to get some, other time they would pour it from the "cream pitchers" they had next to the coffee. He wouldn't drink that because it wasn't cold.

Where have you seen individual cartons recently on any Princess ship? Buffets seem to have eliminated them some time ago.

I drink milk for my Osteoporosis instead of taking Calcium Tablets.

It took a couple of days lots of explaining for reason because the only milk was in containers up in Horizon Court at Breakfast time no cartons.

They put a 'Special Order in for me' two small cartons would be delivered to my cabin each day.That was Diamond Princess 2012

There are no cartons of milk on Princess ships. My DH likes a glass of milk at odd times of the day & it was not easy to get. Sometimes the waiter from the buffet would disappear for a few minutes to get some, other time they would pour it from the "cream pitchers" they had next to the coffee. He wouldn't drink that because it wasn't cold.

My wife runs into the same problem all the time & has to request a glass from the refrig otherwise they get it from the warm pitchers on the counter. OK for coffee but not for drinking.

I drink milk for my Osteoporosis instead of taking Calcium Tablets.

It took a couple of days lots of explaining for reason because the only milk was in containers up in Horizon Court at Breakfast time no cartons.

They put a 'Special Order in for me' two small cartons would be delivered to my cabin each day.That was Diamond Princess 2012

Interesting. We might try that approach next cruise.