Just Booked and UPSET! Advice?

I was onboard with your original posts, I really was. And was hoping you got resolution. But the more you post the more I am starting to lose you. To clarify...

*You booked this particular ship because it had a dedicated nursery so you could leave your daughter there, with a stanger, and party.

*You now want to cancel this cruise if you have to hire a babysitter, who is a stranger just like the one working in the nursery, to come to your room. (Yes, I get the extra cost, but your main complaint was a stranger in your room.)

*You are ok with the parenting skills of leaving your child while you go get hammered, but not ok with the parenting skills of taking your child on a ship that had Noro months ago?

You mentioned $400 in babysitting charges at $19 an hour. That's 21 hours of leaving your child alone with a stranger, no matter the location. That's 4-5 hours a night. Not a reasonable expectation when traveling with a young child.

My suggestion...go on the cruise. Go to bed at 8:30 with your sweet child. Hire a babysitter ONE NIGHT and go live it up like the single adults you are not anymore and make the most of things. Vacationing with kids means you don't get to "live it up" like you used to. Time to realize that or leave her at home and relive your 20s with the spouse minus baby.

I hope you end up having a good cruise with your entire family. "Different" fun is still fun. Think of all the firsts you are going to get to experience through the eyes of that baby!

I find this offensive, and out of touch with what I mentioned earlier. A) no one is looking to party like a 20 year old. I plan to "party" ( I am using this verb loosely) as a 34 year old. But thanks for telling me how to live my life. And to expand on your theory, I do not want to leave my daughter in my room by herself with a stranger. I feel more comfortable in a more open setting with more staff and other children and activities. She will be spending a few hours on a few days there in the afternoon while we enjoy the adult pool, AFTER we hang out with her by the kiddie deck. Then, some nights we will want to enjoy a show, go ice skating, etc etc, and leave her in nursery.

It's costing me more money to build the vacation around my needs and wants, and I should be free to choose for myself from available options. Some parents are okay with leaving their children home. In the present, I wish to take her with us. Again, if ship had nursery like the website says it does, this thread would be a lot quieter.

I was onboard with your original posts, I really was. And was hoping you got resolution. But the more you post the more I am starting to lose you. To clarify...

*You booked this particular ship because it had a dedicated nursery so you could leave your daughter there, with a stanger, and party.

*You now want to cancel this cruise if you have to hire a babysitter, who is a stranger just like the one working in the nursery, to come to your room. (Yes, I get the extra cost, but your main complaint was a stranger in your room.)

*You are ok with the parenting skills of leaving your child while you go get hammered, but not ok with the parenting skills of taking your child on a ship that had Noro months ago?

You mentioned $400 in babysitting charges at $19 an hour. That's 21 hours of leaving your child alone with a stranger, no matter the location. That's 4-5 hours a night. Not a reasonable expectation when traveling with a young child.

My suggestion...go on the cruise. Go to bed at 8:30 with your sweet child. Hire a babysitter ONE NIGHT and go live it up like the single adults you are not anymore and make the most of things. Vacationing with kids means you don't get to "live it up" like you used to. Time to realize that or leave her at home and relive your 20s with the spouse minus baby.

I hope you end up having a good cruise with your entire family. "Different" fun is still fun. Think of all the firsts you are going to get to experience through the eyes of that baby!

100% agree.

To the OP you had me feeling for you (and yes I somewhat still do) but your later comments have me wondering.

You are now a parent, cruising (or any vacation for that matter) will be different from now whether you take your little one with you or not.

As for the nursery vs. in room babysitting, if you are truly concerned with noro and your child catching it, I would say an in room sitter is the better way to go, less contact with other kids/sitters that may infect your child.

Noro - its been on Grandeur AND Explorer this year as well as many other ships. If you look a little more you may not take your child out of your house!!

I could go on but will leave it at that. Best of luck to you and your FAMILY regardless of the vacation you end up with.

How did you know?:o

I am definitely going to have fun, but it won't be on this cruise, and my only option is now to pay for mommy in law.... the Joys of parenting. I already ordered my blow-up mini tub for her, this forum has been a tremendous help with all of that!

If the ship is full and no other rooms are available, how are you going to get a room for your mother-in-law?

If I recall correctly, Explorer had a much worse Noro outbreak this past year, so from that perspective there is no difference between sailing on Grandeur or Explorer...both had Noro outbreaks. But both have sailed for months Noro free.

It did. Noro outbreaks are on all ships from time to time. You only hear about the bad outbreaks. They clean the ship and it's gone in a week or 2.

I think most parents bit the bullet and accepted that vacations would be different with an infant.

One reason to never bring one. Land vacations sure, but not on a cruise IMO.

Not a big deal at all to leave a 1 yr old home for 5 days, come on. If the baby has grandparents, they often jump at the chance to have their grandchild with them and let mom and dad have a relaxing vacation and not worry about whether a ship has a nursery or not.

If the ship is full and no other rooms are available, how are you going to get a room for your mother-in-law?

I'm not, and I haven't asked for it either. The ship was pricey, but fit my schedule and, had a nursery. I literally had another option ready (I am booking that, regardless of how long RCI drags this out for) which was 2-days longer, and two staterooms on brand new ship which is coming back 450$ more.

Price is always a concern, but for my wife and I, we came to the conclusion that we wanted it to be just us three, and we would have the nursery to give us our free time when we wanted it.

Now that the nursery is not on the ship (THANK YOU PREVIOUS POSTER), our clear and only option is the competitor ship. Had I known that this nursery didn't exist, I would have booked the other sailing and this would have never been an issue. Last time I defend my choices, I think i've been clear now.... some of you are tougher than RCI supervisors! :p

This must be your first child.

When Mommy has her fourth, she will be taking a cruise the next week !

Please go into this cruise with a " I am going to have fun " attitude.

I bet there have been lots of one-year-olds on that ship, in the past month or two.

Have a great cruise.

P.S. the back of the boat is the best for baby, a lot less rocking..... I think.

:D

Big time wrong

One reason to never bring one. Land vacations sure, but not on a cruise IMO.

Not a big deal at all to leave a 1 yr old home for 5 days, come on. If the baby has grandparents, they often jump at the chance to have their grandchild with them and let mom and dad have a relaxing vacation and not worry about whether a ship has a nursery or not.

Look, we talked about doing that. I actually wanted to originally and my wife didn't. Then, as we moved further along, I now want to bring my daughter. I don't want her to miss us, it breaks my heart when I think about it.

Sure, to some of you veterans it probably makes you smirk, but it's what we choose to do. I don't see why that's such a concern for some people.

Like!!!

You want to go on a cruise with a baby, it's still 24/7.

Now that the nursery is not on the ship (THANK YOU PREVIOUS POSTER), our clear and only option is the competitor ship. Had I known that this nursery didn't exist, I would have booked the other sailing and this would have never been an issue. Last time I defend my choices, I think i've been clear now.... some of you are tougher than RCI supervisors! :p

Thing is it wasn't until post #38 in this thread (like your 6th or 7th) that the nursery suddenly became your big problem. Up until that it was all the room is smaller, they told me I had a bigger room, the room was in a different place. Yes you made mention of a nursery at one point saying it was to be near your cabin, another time saying it was right next to your cabin, but that wasn't your real complaint until you started talking about possibly getting the recordings and until after another poster told you there was no nursery.

Your initial post, it's clear you are miffed you didn't get a large cabin you had hoped for - it wasn't about your child and its care and needs. It was about yor comfort having 3 people occupy an interior cabin.

Now suddenly you are concerned about your child care needs. That's why so many here are brining that to your attention. You're trying to cloud and bolster your argument with things that were not really a part of the initial issue trying to make that issue seem far larger than the reality of it

We booked two days ago over the phone, and the rep sold us a handicap room, (only available at the time) and said that it would be perfect because it is bigger to accommodate us and all that comes with an infant, and right near the nursery. (room 1337).

Come to find out, I look at my documents and the room she gave us is actually 1377!!. She obviously misread whatever she was doing, (very disappointing because she was a pure joy to chat with), and now we are stuck in just about as small and as poor a location as you can get on this ship. And since the ship is near full, This was NOT cheap. $2,900 for an interior, one guest is an infant and two adults.

I called in and the rep said that they contacted escalation and they couldn't do anything for us, because even if they stuck us back in a handicap room, the boat would ask for proof. Even though he acknowledged that this wasn't my fault (I never asked for handicap to begin with), he said my options were to upgrade to a balcony for an additional $1,400, or cancel and pay a termination fee. Mind you, I booked this 2 days ago, and my wife jumped through hoops to get off from work on a two week notice. No way to change our dates, and even if RCI refunded us in full, there are no other cruise options for us that will fit my schedule.

Edited by cle-guy

You know, I almost didn't post that NORO comment because I felt that it would be a third complaint and make me look like a nut job.

It only means your a nut job among frequent cruisers!

I often here from none cruisers that I am going to get Norovirus on our Cruise. And that's why they won't cruise. "Media Sensationalism".

I can understand OP wanting to book on a ship with a dedicated nursery - I think he is more concerned about not leaving the baby alone in the cabin with a stranger. The nursery would include other adults and other children, not a one-on-one situation.

Actually, your $19 per hour gets you TWO sitters. I hope the OP also realizes that Explorer does not have a splash zone for babies in diapers either.

$2,900 for an inside cabin for 5 days !?

I am guessing the price is the real problem. OP is having a case of buyers remorse and looking for a way out. Thought he was getting a little more for his money with a handicap room, which in actuality would not have helped much with the 8:30 bed time issue. An inside cabin is an inside cabin. This became clearer when OP started to rant about NORO. Am I wrong or was the big outbreak in January. Is there a problem now?

With a 1 year old a good portion of the cruisers sea days are spent walking back and forth across the ship with child in stroller, so the location of the cabin away from the nursery should not be a deal breaker.

We have often had the opposite happen to us. Hotel's have put us in rooms for handicap and my DH hates the bathrooms and showers. Sometimes life happens and you just have to grin and enjoy yourself.

I just tried to do a dummy booking and the ship is sold out, so RCCL does not have a lot of options. Probably a cabin or 2 will come available in the next few weeks, but at this point I don't think it matters. OP is frustrated with customer service and frustrated with himself for booking the cruise.

My first 5 cruises I had not found cruise critics and I did not know you could get a refund if the price went down, change your cabin, or get advice on every little thing. Sometimes I think my life was simpler.

Sure, to some of you veterans it probably makes you smirk, but it's what we choose to do. I don't see why that's such a concern for some people.

I'm behind you 100% and understand where you're coming from. Good luck with everything!

Yippee my daughter is a teen now and these things don't concern me. Little ones are happy being loved, by anyone who loves them, and don't have to be on a cruise ship to be loved.

I realised this when mine was little and she has a great time with her grandparents while we had a romantic week to ourselves. And she still wants to go there and be spoilt. Works for everyone.

Thing is it wasn't until post #38 in this thread (like your 6th or 7th) that the nursery suddenly became your big problem. Up until that it was all the room is smaller, they told me I had a bigger room, the room was in a different place. Yes you made mention of a nursery at one point saying it was to be near your cabin, another time saying it was right next to your cabin, but that wasn't your real complaint until you started talking about possibly getting the recordings and until after another poster told you there was no nursery.

Your initial post, it's clear you are miffed you didn't get a large cabin you had hoped for - it wasn't about your child and its care and needs. It was about yor comfort having 3 people occupy an interior cabin.

Now suddenly you are concerned about your child care needs. That's why so many here are brining that to your attention. You're trying to cloud and bolster your argument with things that were not really a part of the initial issue trying to make that issue seem far larger than the reality of it

Of course that's when the nursery became the problem....because a fellow forum member alerted that to me right here. I'm not bolstering anything, it's an entirely new and more serious issue for me. Now suddenly I am concerned about my child care needs.....because they aren't being met as I originally was led to believe. JEEZ, some people amaze me.

I'm sorry, and I'm sure no one will care, but I came here to find some advice, and now some of the comments are actually more frustrating than RCI's people. I should probably just disengage.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read through this conversation and for offering your opinions, suggestions, and potential solutions. Most of them were EXTREMELY helpful, even the ones that were suggesting moving to Celebrity etc.

Understand the OP's frustration at receiving wrong information and wanting to cancel due to expectations in cruising with an infant. Past experience with RCCL travel consultants (or whatever they are called) have rarely taken a cruise (I've asked), and only know what they are told rather than from experience.

Agree with posters who say nothing will be the same once you have a child and vacation. So true, so true.

So much of this whole situation sounds like buyer's remorse. Understand partly it is from receiving incorrect info, but since it isn't exactly as envisioned, no interest in making the best of a less than desirable situation.

On the one aspect alone, receiving totally wrong information regarding the nursery, the OP should be allowed to cancel without penalty. However, since a vacation is desired to be sorely needed, making the best of a less than desirable situation, would win out. Buyer's remorse seems to be a secondary component (too much $ for too few days). Good luck with your resolution.

Actually, your $19 per hour gets you TWO sitters. I hope the OP also realizes that Explorer does not have a splash zone for babies in diapers either.

Ah well, all the better. Thanks for clarifying (we've never had to make use of this service and the number of sitters is not something I would say is regularly discussed on these boards). And OP mentioned about already buying a small blow up tub for baby.

I just caught up with this thread and to the OP, I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I completely understand wanting to take your daughter on the cruise. It is not that you want to abandon your daughter for the length of the cruise, but parents need some "me time." A nursery is a perfect idea and I understand your frustration when you found out the ship did not have the nursery. I am in the grandparent stage now but I would have been just as angry in your shoes. I know it is probably too late but I hope you give RCI another chance when you have more time to research a great cruise, there really are some great ships with kids programs. I have also booked some last minute cruises and know there sometimes you have little cabin choice, and I hope they find the tape that backs you up.

HC cabins go first and foremost to those who need them, not necessarily those that simply want them. So, even if today an able bodied guest had the HC cabin listed on his reservation, he could be bumped out of that HC cabin if and when somebody else developed a need for it. Imagine if somebody booked on this sailed broke a leg today, Doctor might say OK to sail by the cruise date, but use a wheelchair...it would be entirely appropriate for the cruiseline to move the AB guest out of the HC room into an ordinary room in the same category (or slightly higher inside category) with little or no notice and no additional compensation. So, OP, not only was the HC cabin a nonoption this time, remember not to book HC cabins hoping for more room for healthy baby, as you may be bumped out of thatcabin at the last minute into a cabin you'd not have selected yourself (kinda like this time, except this time you have notice). No refund would be offered. If you wish roomy accommodations, book a much, much higher category of stateroom or book hotels ashore instead. HC cabins are bt the answer. I rather think the HC cabin was not available for this last minute cruise; misread/misunderstood cabin number is much more likely.

Understanding the finer points of what ships and cruiselines offer what programs for what age child takes real research. hopefully next time, there will be time to research and plan.

I've been sailing out of Baltimore last week and this week. No sign of Noro outbreak, and this ship is at no greater risk than any other ship (or hotel on land). might as well drop that arguement, as it does nothing to bolster your case, unless you want them to think you are an over-reacting, potentially nutty guest.

As you are so clearly unhappy so few hours after booking, I hope they refund your money. Next time try hard to book well before final payment so you can get a refund if the details do not fall into place as you desire.

I just caught up with this thread and to the OP, I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I completely understand wanting to take your daughter on the cruise. It is not that you want to abandon your daughter for the length of the cruise, but parents need some "me time." A nursery is a perfect idea and I understand your frustration when you found out the ship did not have the nursery. I am in the grandparent stage now but I would have been just as angry in your shoes. I know it is probably too late but I hope you give RCI another chance when you have more time to research a great cruise, there really are some great ships with kids programs. I have also booked some last minute cruises and know there sometimes you have little cabin choice, and I hope they find the tape that backs you up.

Thank you for understanding! I have to be honest, I have always wanted to try RCI. In the past, it was a money issue and in my own head, RCI was a step up from my previous cruises. Now, I'm fortunate to be able to splurge ( a little). If RCI reviews this tape, and apologizes.... I will forgive and forget. My next cruise (we hope next January or May) I very well will come back and probably go RCI with a nursery.

If they don't own up, (all I care about now is nursery conflict, stateroom issue a thing of the past) than I couldn't bring myself to come back.... fool me once. Honestly, before yesterday afternoon, I was reading some amazing thread on this forum (someone posted a detailed day by day with infant review) and I started looking in to the things she was saying about the C&A, how many cruises to get a high ranking, and even started printing out potential "next " cruises to see if I can score a deal on the ship. I was ready to be an RCI loyalist.... though I can't say that at the moment.

Here's hoping I receive a proper call, a proper apology, and no hard sale on a transfer. THAT will earn my future business. I find being able to humble yourself and turn 180 when you are wrong, a very strong quality. Almost as good as patience (i'm working on that still).

HC cabins go first and foremost to those who need them, not necessarily those that simply want them. So, even if today an able bodied guest had the HC cabin listed on his reservation, he could be bumped out of that HC cabin if and when somebody else developed a need for it.

You know what, in this scenario.... If I arrived and they told me about the situation, I'd offer the cabin switch, and so would my wife. If it's about compassion...i'm all for it. If it's about money, than that's on the corporation to handle. A perk such as OBC, like an airline would offer, would make us a even further gracious :)

We took a one year old on a cruise and we have left one at home. Take advantage of whatever you end up with, and make the most of it.

I agree with a post above about splurging on babysitting one night. However depending on how the little one sleeps, put them in the stroller the other nights, and take that moonlit stroll.

OP, I support you 100%!! People on these boards can be a little judgy/snarky/rude.

You were given incorrect information and you shouldn't be penalized (monetarily) for their mistake.

Let us know how that phone call goes!

PS. My family and I are sailing on Explorer tomorrow!

You know what, in this scenario.... If I arrived and they told me about the situation, I'd offer the cabin switch, and so would my wife. If it's about compassion...i'm all for it. If it's about money, than that's on the corporation to handle. A perk such as OBC, like an airline would offer, would make us a even further gracious :)

I am glad you understand that the HC cabin goes to the HC guest and that you are compassionate people. But really, bumping an AbleBodied person from an HC cabin is not compassion, it is the rule (and I think compliant with US law). And, for heaven's sake, no OBC should be expected if you are ever that bumped AB guest; you are fortunate to be AB; somebody else is not. the AB guest does not even get an explanation; just a new cabin.

I am not sure why you mention corporations and money:confused:. The cruiselines do not make more money from HC cabins; they make less as those cabins consume more precious space. think about it: Healthy guests who try to book an HC cabin just for the extra space are the greedy ones inappropriately trying to get more cabin for less money. I doubt that was your thought process for this last minute booking. As you were booking last minute, you were going to get what ever cabin might be left. Once in a while that leftover by chance is an HC cabin; usually it is not. again, I think the HC cabin on your sailing was already booked and the cabin number was misread or misunderstood during your initial phone call.