Snorkeling equipment questions

TheDivineMrsM

We will be trying snorkeling for the first time on our cruise. It's something I've always wanted to do, hubby and I are in our mid-50s. We want to take our own snorkeling equipment, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for something we may never do again. Can it be purchased simply at Walmart, Target or on Amazon?

We are going to a dive shop for a one hour lesson on snorkeling, and they sell equipment there, but I worry that it will cost a lot.

I would simply use the provided equipment, until I decided if this is something I'd do regularly. They sanitize it....probably better than they wash the utensils and glasses at dinner!

I don't believe anyone has gotten a disease or anything from the snorkel equipment! The "cheap" stuff you'll buy will not give you the best experience.

Edited by cb at sea

Actually agree with CB - no need to purchase even inexpensive equipment for a one time use that you may never repeat. The equipment also does not pack very well and will take space from the luggage that you are already taking and may require a separate carry on, etc., to transport.

As this would be your first time, unless you were planning to do this on your own, there are excursions through the ship - which I would suggest for a first timer - or independently at the port of call you are interested in for snorkeling that will provide very suitable equipment and basic use training. Probably no need for lessons ahead of time either as a result.

We will be trying snorkeling for the first time on our cruise. It's something I've always wanted to do, hubby and I are in our mid-50s. We want to take our own snorkeling equipment, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for something we may never do again. Can it be purchased simply at Walmart, Target or on Amazon?

We are going to a dive shop for a one hour lesson on snorkeling, and they sell equipment there, but I worry that it will cost a lot.

good (safe) equipment will cost money and should never be bought on a whim.

don't waste the money unless you fall in love with the sport and will use it frequently.

Oh! I guess I am surprised at the answers. Yes, I think this is a one time experience. It does make sense that snorkeling equipment would take up a lot of packing room. We have already booked the excursion through the cruise line (Royal Caribbean). And you think the snorkeling lesson isn't needed beforehand? I'm starting to look forward even more to the cruise.

I agree with the others about not buying equipment yet and using that provided by the excursion.

As far as taking a class beforehand, that depends...first off, one could say there are two ways to snorkel - many people are perfectly content to float along on the surface with face in the water and admire the lovely scenery below. Other people like to alternate floating on the surface with diving down underwater a few or several feet (the flippers help you get down) and swimming underwater a bit.

If you are already very comfortable in the water, a good swimmer, and figure on staying at the surface, I don't think a class is necessary.

If you want to learn the technique for diving & swimming underwater, a class would be very helpful. Also, if you have any qualms about how it will feel to breathe through a snorkel and have a mask on your face (are you claustrophobic in any way?), the class would also be helpful. It's nice to not spend half the excursion figuring things out and getting comfortable, especially if you're not totally at home in the water in general.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have a great time! :)

Me and the wife (also mid 50's) went twice during our cruise last January. We had not done it before and neither of us are great swimmers. The first time was in Cozomel and it was great. We went on a beginner excursion and hung onto a float board with hand holds for four people. A guide led us around and controlled our pace. I got water around my mouth piece a couple of times but no one else seemed to. It's very salty and he made jokes about it. We found that the vests will ride-up if you don't strap them pretty tight. You can put more or less air in them as desired. The fins make a tremendous difference with manuverabilty.

The second time was an excursion at Belize. We were with a group swimming freely. They wanted us to stay in a group, but while we were looking under, they were getting farther away. When they were about 50 yards ahead, the wife felt paniced, and we went back to shore.

We vowed to purchase our own gear and practice, but we haven't. We enjoy snorkeling and will do it again. It's hard to find the time right now to do it at home. I seen vests on line that look like they fit better, so that will probably be our first priority. If you wear glasses you will have to take them off, so that may limit your vision/pleasure. I would have taken a course ahead of time if I knew what I know now. Overall, I can't imagine someone not liking it. Hope this helps.:)

I would not recommend buying your own equipment unless one of the following applies: 1) You wear glasses/contacts that make you blind-as-a-bat. Looking for a mask, in a local sporting good store, with a corrective face plate will let you see & make the experience more enjoyable. 2) Your shoe size is smaller that the general public. Looking for a set of fins, in a local sporting good store, that actually fit tour feet will make the experience more enjoyable.

I'm the blind-as-a-bat and my wife wears a size 6 shoe. The fins offered by the excursion operators always fell off her feet.

Enjoy!

I would not recommend buying fins and face mask until you know you are likely to get some ongoing use of them. You might want to buy a snorkel - the least expensive item, but the one you actually put in your mouth. For just a few dollars I found it preferable to not rely on questionable sanitizing.

Me and the wife (also mid 50's) went twice during our cruise last January. We had not done it before and neither of us are great swimmers. The first time was in Cozomel and it was great. We went on a beginner excursion and hung onto a float board with hand holds for four people. A guide led us around and controlled our pace. I got water around my mouth piece a couple of times but no one else seemed to. It's very salty and he made jokes about it. We found that the vests will ride-up if you don't strap them pretty tight. You can put more or less air in them as desired. The fins make a tremendous difference with manuverabilty.

The second time was an excursion at Belize. We were with a group swimming freely. They wanted us to stay in a group, but while we were looking under, they were getting farther away. When they were about 50 yards ahead, the wife felt paniced, and we went back to shore.

We vowed to purchase our own gear and practice, but we haven't. We enjoy snorkeling and will do it again. It's hard to find the time right now to do it at home. I seen vests on line that look like they fit better, so that will probably be our first priority. If you wear glasses you will have to take them off, so that may limit your vision/pleasure. I would have taken a course ahead of time if I knew what I know now. Overall, I can't imagine someone not liking it. Hope this helps.:)

The excursions we go on usually provide the big orange vests with the foam inside, not the air filled kind. In Belize our guide told us to put the vest around our waists instead of wearing them normally. When in the water, they did not ride up and supported your midsection. And when you got up (head out of water) the vest would float up to under your armpits, so still very comfortable.

I agree with the others about not buying equipment yet and using that provided by the excursion.

Another in agreement. It's the easy thing to do and no need to buy equipment for something you may not enjoy.

Have a great time! :)

LuLu

Definitely don't buy cheap! Most organised tours provide the equipment in the price and all will be very well sanitized.

As a qualified scuba diver I would recommend lesson(s) from a local PADI centre who would be more than willing to help as there is a technique, they even do their own snorkelling course. It's easy but a bit of practice before you go would give you confidence and make it more enjoyable.

Afterwards, why not do a 'try dive'. Now that is a fantastic experience.