One week sale with decent sized suite OBC

POA1

Mine does not qualify either - but the two sailings after mine do! Darn, I thought I had a windfall since I am prior to final payment. Can't figure it out as my sailing seems to have alot of empty cabins so far.

DaveOKC

I'm still relatively new to HAL (0nly 4 cruises so far); but I do have two booked. One is one of the 'select sailings.' What I have gotten used to is that I do like to book early and get what I want. The whole deal of having to cancel and re-book to get some of these incentives is a bit frustrating at times. I have become addicted to the Retreat Cabanas for warmer itineraries. They do go fast and I do reserve almost as soon as the itinerary becomes available. Thus I am left with the risk of losing my reservation for a retreat cabana or getting a couple of hundred bucks of OBC. My PCC does try to find any way to make any of these deals work out in our favor, but I am resigned to the fact that those who jump last may have leg up on me in the end in terms of cruise price.

c'est la vie (which on a cruise is pretty nice :) )

Dennis

I am in no way being negative when I say this - I simply am curious.

I read a lot where PAX book "insanely early". :) If there is no financial incentive to book early, and a good chance on most itineraries of SOME sort of discount or bonus offer closer to sail date, such as this new Promo just out, why do they still book early?

That's certainly a fair question. Our reasons are twofold. The first is that we want a certain cabin.

The second, and more important one is that we are coordinating travel schedules among two or more couples. None of us is retired. One of the couples works in jobs with some pretty strict scheduling requirements. They both work at the same company, in the same functional area and it's often a challenge for them to get scheduled time off together. Throw in everyone else's schedules, a couple of pet sitters, etc. and we often wind up booking well over a year in advance.

We know that there's going to be a premium. We know that we have to pay the premium, particularly for wanting a specific cabin. We just wish that the powers that do the load management wouldn't have to load so much of the discounting and incentives at the end for the late bookers. It would be nice to see them spread the love.

Hope that explains why some people (or at least 4 to 6) book early.

It was a very good question. No harm asking.

Edited by POA1

Mine does not qualify either - but the two sailings after mine do! Darn, I thought I had a windfall since I am prior to final payment. Can't figure it out as my sailing seems to have alot of empty cabins so far.

DaveOKC

Sorry to hear that Dave. DW & I were joking that you should teach a class in maximizing incentives. :D

The whole deal of having to cancel and re-book to get some of these incentives is a bit frustrating at times. I have become addicted to the Retreat Cabanas for warmer itineraries. They do go fast and I do reserve almost as soon as the itinerary becomes available. Thus I am left with the risk of losing my reservation for a retreat cabana or getting a couple of hundred bucks of OBC.

I don't understand why you have to cancel and rebook it. All they should be doing is a refare. I called and had mine changed a few months after booking to save over $1,000 on a 7 day cruise. I didn't lose anything that was already attached to that reservation.

I don't understand why you have to cancel and rebook it. All they should be doing is a refare.

Not when it's "For new bookings only", though. In that case it has to be a new booking, not a refare of an existing booking.

My perception is that HAL just did do an Early Booking Incentive. Not in a cash back incentive, but with their Explore 4 program.

If I remember correctly, there was a huge package involved. Explore 4, Generous drinks package, plus OBC's, 3rd and 4th passenger discounts, and a few upgrade opportunities, etc.

This was offered with the release of their brochure, and was only available to the PAX who booked early.

I saw this program completely as an EBI promotion.

It was very popular from the discussions I heard, and I believe quite successful. So I personally think HAL has offered an EBI, but some have not recognized it as such. Just my humble opinion. :)

I booked very early for my last cruise, over a year out. My cruise was sold as a 14 day and 18 day. The 14 day did not qualify for the explore 4. I got zero for booking early, just like I usually do. Oh I guess that's wrong, I get to pay extra high prices.

I read a lot where PAX book "insanely early". :) If there is no financial incentive to book early, and a good chance on most itineraries of SOME sort of discount or bonus offer closer to sail date, such as this new Promo just out, why do they still book early?

I'm sure it can't just be to confirm dates for booking holiday times at work, as you can still "choose" your cruise date at work without having to put a deposit down on the cruise until closer to sail date.

Not all of them by any means, but some PAX complain very loudly whenever they see any kind of discount offered closer to the sail date. We all know this is HAL's current methodology, and not likely to change in the near future.

So my question is, if it is known that there will be discounts offered further down the road, and these are likely to cause discontent over the original price paid, why do PAX continue to book so far in advance if they know there is no Early Booking Incentive, and they also know they will not qualify for "new booking only" promos closer to the sail date?

I'm just curious as to what it is that motivates one to actually book so early? As you can probably tell - we are not early bookers. We find a cruise we are interested in, then when it is the price we want to pay, we book. Case closed, I don't look for further discounts.

So I'm just curious as to what motivates other methods. My inquiring (and logical) mind wants to know. :) It doesn't do well when I can't file the reason behind actions into my "now I understand" slot. Just a bit OCD, but I'm sure my next cruise with HAL will help me get it settled back down! :D

Thanks in advance for your valued comments.

I work for a living and also generally have a fair distance to fly. There was another poster making remarks about internet use and how no one needs it last week. Why should people have to make a justification to others to see if it fits as a valid reason to book early? I can't imagine why anyone would need to know.

Edited by cruz chic

I originally posted this information to help out those who don't always get the emails or those who might be considering a cruise in a suite and who could perhaps get a few extra dollars to spend. I knew that we weren't going to be eligible. In fact, my default posture when seeing HAL's sale emails is to think, "Wow! Someone - who is definitely not me - is getting a great deal." :)

Maybe the cruise lines will follow the airlines and base their loyalty bonuses on $$ spent. I look forward to that day. (As soon as that happens, we'll probably get discounts galore.)

In the meantime, I'm happy that someone is getting a deal. All I ask is that you don't tell me that we paid double what you paid for the same stateroom. Unless you're buying a round of drinks... In that case, brag away!

I'm sure it can't just be to confirm dates for booking holiday times at work, as you can still "choose" your cruise date at work without having to put a deposit down on the cruise until closer to sail date.

Not all of them by any means, but some PAX complain very loudly whenever they see any kind of discount offered closer to the sail date. We all know this is HAL's current methodology, and not likely to change in the near future.

So my question is, if it is known that there will be discounts offered further down the road, and these are likely to cause discontent over the original price paid, why do PAX continue to book so far in advance if they know there is no Early Booking Incentive, and they also know they will not qualify for "new booking only" promos closer to the sail date?

I'm just curious as to what it is that motivates one to actually book so early? As you can probably tell - we are not early bookers. We find a cruise we are interested in, then when it is the price we want to pay, we book. Case closed, I don't look for further discounts.

So I'm just curious as to what motivates other methods. My inquiring (and logical) mind wants to know. :) It doesn't do well when I can't file the reason behind actions into my "now I understand" slot. Just a bit OCD, but I'm sure my next cruise with HAL will help me get it settled back down! :D

Thanks in advance for your valued comments.

Usually, booking well in advance ensures getting a specific cabin. On some ships there are one or two that have a little advantage (for instance the double-wide balcony on the Vista ships). And many people book a future cruise while on a cruise to get additional OBC - not everyone cruises multiple times in a year, so this might well be a year or more in advance.

I always appreciate it when someone posts about a fare drop or incentives. Twice I've gotten pretty awesome reductions. One of them, my first suite on a partial Panama Canal was for $1,700! The second time was for my upcoming Westward bound Voyage of the Vikings. I forget the specific dollar amount but is was for somewhere in the neighborhood of seven hundred dollars.

So, thank you for these posts!

I think Kazu's referring to the early booking discounts that used to be offered before the Interwebs. It was a straight-up discount off the brochure fare.

FWIW, we booked and then had the Explore 4 added after booking. It was a Caribbean itinerary so the drinks package part was worth $50 per person, as a one time drink card. There was also one meal per person in the Pinnacle. Total cash value: $79 per person.

Maybe we just book so insanely early that the cruise line figures, "What's the point of incentivizing them?"

Thank you POA, yes years ago HAL gave you a early booking savings. Explore4 was a promo that some got and some didn't. When it ended some prices dropped so substantially that it was worth it to remove the explore4 and get the better price - we did.

Carnival offer a EBS for booking early. As did Oceania (prepaid gratuities which for us is $22 pp/day, discounted price and deposit)., so there are incentives out there for early bookings.

Thanks for letting people know.

I am glad some could put it to use:D

Actually HAL does offer specific early booking perk now, aside from the mentioned sale. Last week booked my sept 2014 cruise and surprise; extra notification in my mailbox explaining they applied early booking obc to my account; $100,- pp for a lanai on a 14 day cruise. Not that much or likely to remain on my booking given the price fluctuation for these itineraries over the years (if anything to go by price will drop at least 20% compared to current price) but its more than any early bokking general offer Ive seen over the years.

I always appreciate it when someone posts about a fare drop or incentives. Twice I've gotten pretty awesome reductions. One of them, my first suite on a partial Panama Canal was for $1,700! The second time was for my upcoming Westward bound Voyage of the Vikings. I forget the specific dollar amount but is was for somewhere in the neighborhood of seven hundred dollars.

So, thank you for these posts!

I also appreciate when CC'ers come here and share these offers with us. Many of us never receive them and sharing here gives us a chance of maybe once getting the added benefit/discount. :)

Thanks, POA.

Actually HAL does offer specific early booking perk now, aside from the mentioned sale. Last week booked my sept 2014 cruise and surprise; extra notification in my mailbox explaining they applied early booking obc to my account; $100,- pp for a lanai on a 14 day cruise. Not that much or likely to remain on my booking given the price fluctuation for these itineraries over the years (if anything to go by price will drop at least 20% compared to current price) but its more than any early bokking general offer Ive seen over the years.

I think you are talking about the obc offered if you book a cruise within x days of returning from a HAL cruise?

Only available to those that have cuised.

I guess I don't consider that an EBS - it's an initiative to those who have cruised

if it is an EBS, it's not a significant one;).

I think you are talking about the obc offered if you book a cruise within x days of returning from a HAL cruise?

Only available to those that have cuised.

I guess I don't consider that an EBS - it's an initiative to those who have cruised

if it is an EBS, it's not a significant one;).

Nop, I wish! [emoji6] (had to cancel planned cruise for aug due to illness). It is a pure early-booking-obc, got it right away after putting a hold on a stateroom online. Later after applying fcd also got that obc but there is a $100 pp in there purely early genral booking. Funny about it; no mentioning online but hold on room triggered the confirmation and notification of the early-book-obc and sure enough was on the confirmation.

Copy from the notification; your reservation includes early booking bonus;

Neptune suite guests; admiral's choice wine package, pinnacle grill diner for 2 and $100 pp obc for first 2 guests.

Guests booked stateroom with oveanview, balcony, vista or signature suite; $100 pp obc for first 2 guests.

Inside stateroom; $50 pp obc for first 2 guests.

Nop, I wish! [emoji6] (had to cancel planned cruise for aug due to illness). It is a pure early-booking-obc, got it right away after putting a hold on a stateroom online. Later after applying fcd also got that obc but there is a $100 pp in there purely early genral booking. Funny about it; no mentioning online but hold on room triggered the confirmation and notification of the early-book-obc and sure enough was on the confirmation.

Neptune suite guests; admiral's choice wine package, pinnacle grill diner for 2 and $100 pp obc for first 2 guests.

Guests booked stateroom with oveanview, balcony, vista or signature suite; $100 pp obc for first 2 guests.

Good for you:D never received that but I am glad you did:D

I also appreciate when CC'ers come here and share these offers with us. Many of us never receive them and sharing here gives us a chance of maybe once getting the added benefit/discount. :)

Thanks, POA.

If you get an answer on whether this promo applies to singles or not, please let us know. DFIL travels solo, so we're curious. Thanks!

Your cruise is on September, it is now July. That is two months away. Hal can't seriously call this an early booking. To me, this is almost a last minute booking. I totally believe what you are saying but the fact they say this is laughable.

Your cruise is on September, it is now July. That is two months away. Hal can't seriously call this an early booking. To me, this is almost a last minute booking. I totally believe what you are saying but the fact they say this is laughable.

Not september 2014 but 2015, typo in previous post sorry. So 14 months out. Which is around when I ideally book or even earlier to have proper choice of access. stateroom and never before until last week the obc. Actually changed it from 3 to 2 weeks to accomodate family thatll come along, same ship but just shortened time aboard from 21 to 14 days. Didnt even show when I made the 14 night booking, which was around half to end june. Either it is very new or not too consistent

Edited by selma

Not september 2014 but 2015, typo in previous post sorry. So 14 months out. Which is around when I ideally book or even earlier to have proper choice of access. stateroom and never before until last week the obc. Actually changed it from 3 to 2 weeks to accomodate family thatll come along, same ship but just shortened time aboard from 21 to 14 days. Didnt even show when I made the 14 night booking, which was around half to end june. Either it is very new or not too consistent

Thanks for the clarification. Lets hope that is a sign of change. Personally, I wish hal would have an early saver program. That would mean something. Hal is my favourite but I'm getting more and more turned off by their policies. I hope change is coming or I will do a lot more cruising on princess

Even though I knew what the answer would be, I emailed our TA anyway. So, nothing from the current promotion - but...

If between now and when we sail the price goes down - say $100 - it is possible that HAL would give us $50 OBC

One can but hope!