Beverage Question

FBZero

Intriguing how so many people believe that the more ice one puts into a drink, the colder it will get. The truth is as long as all the ice in the glass doesn't melt, the temperature of the drink will be the same whether there is one cube or 20 cubes in the glass.

The people who want glasses full of ice are playing right into the hands of of the restaurant in that ice is less expensive than what we are buying in the glass. My philosophy is to put just enough ice in the glass so that the drink will cool the maximum and some little number of pieces of ice remain. That way am getting the most of my chosen drink and not leaving a lot of the volume consisting of only ice remaining.

Simply getting the most of what I am paying for for my money.

Dave, I absolutely understand the laws of physics pertaining to temperature and ice, but one measly cube is not going to cool down my drink unless it was already refrigerated.

I think the reason lots of ice is popular here in the south is that not that it makes the drink cooler to begin with, but that the drink stays cooler longer until the ice melts. In the summer, I start out every morning with a big glass full of ice into which I pour my already chilled tea. Without the ice, the tea would be room termperature in no time, but it stays cool for most of the morning using my method. And yes, the melting ice does water it down, but I am used to that.

My cats also have ice in their water during warm weather:-) For me it depends upon whether I'm drinking iced tea (I drink a lot of it) or a cocktail. I love plenty of ice in iced tea and don't mind if it gets a bit watery but prefer my cocktails shaken with ice but with little ice in the glass. In terms of beer, I love it in a cold glass filled with cold beer.

Winner, I'm glad that you started this conversation, I think we've all learned a bit about ice:D