Diamond Drink benefits

So I was in another thread asking folks opinions about whether they felt the drink package was worth it. We were considering the package, more for the convenience. We may not get $55 worth but we may get close to it.

Anyway, the reason for my thread LOL I copied and pasted this from a post from the other thread:

Even with the new Diamond benefit where your seapass card is preloaded with 3 free drinks per day, I’m pretty sure that does NOT include Grey Goose so we’ll still pay as we go for the Wife’s martinis.

We are new diamond members....do diamond members receive free beverages as part of the C & A benefits? If it is three (as I'm reading above) then we may not go for the drink package.

So I was in another thread asking folks opinions about whether they felt the drink package was worth it. We were considering the package, more for the convenience. We may not get $55 worth but we may get close to it.

Anyway, the reason for my thread LOL I copied and pasted this from a post from the other thread:

Even with the new Diamond benefit where your seapass card is preloaded with 3 free drinks per day, I’m pretty sure that does NOT include Grey Goose so we’ll still pay as we go for the Wife’s martinis.

We are new diamond members....do diamond members receive free beverages as part of the C & A benefits? If it is three (as I'm reading above) then we may not go for the drink package.

Yes, Diamond members receive free drinks, but only during the nightly cocktail hour, which is usually 5pm to 8:30pm.

On ships with a dedicated Diamond Lounge, you would get free soda, selected beers, house wines, and basic mixed drinks (no blender drinks).

On ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge, you only get free soda and house wines. Other drinks are 25% off.

Note that these conditions are changing a bit with the rollout of the nightly drink vouchers, so we may see the drink vouchers appear on ships without a dedicated DL, which would change (increase) the drinks available on those ships. The drink vouchers are only good during the nightly cocktail hour, and offer the same drinks as would be available in the DL.

Edited by clarea

Diamond members get three free coupons to use during the hours that the Diamond lounge is open, (something like 5:00PM to 8:00PM), at any bar. They can also use the Diamond Lounge, and get their drinks there. They don't scan your card in the lounge, when you get a drink, so they aren't counted toward your coupons. The free drinks are limited in variety.

Ok thanks Bob....we are on Jewel....not sure they have a diamond lounge?

We have first seating for dinner. If we are in the dining room or windjammer for dinner during those select times, would we able to use the benefit?

edited to add: Thanks Kathy! Sounds like the selection is limited....

Edited by slyster

We have first seating for dinner. If we are in the dining room or windjammer for dinner during those select times, would we able to use the benefit?

No dedicated Diamond Lounge on Jewel.

So at a minimum you would get the free soda and house wine plus other drinks at 25% off in some venue allocated to the Nightly Diamond Event. You will be notified of that location in a letter in your stateroom when you arive.

Additionally, if Jewel has implemented the vouchers, then you will be able to use those at any bar of your choice, but not in any restaurants, including the MDR.

Edited by clarea

edited to add: Thanks Kathy! Sounds like the selection is limited....

I do not believe that you can use them in the WJ either

Ok, so Jewel doesn't offer it? It may be set by times? I'm not sure how all this works.

Jewel does not yet have the drink vouchers, so it will only have the Nightly Diamond Event as described in post #2 in the section about ships without a dedicated DL.

Edited by clarea

I was just off Jewel last weekend, and they had a Diamond lounge next to the Viking Crown lounge.

That may have been the Hollywood Odyssey lounge that they were using for the Nightly Diamond Event. However, it is not a dedicated Diamond Lounge as it is used for other purposes when not used for the Diamond Event.

Also, unlike the drink packages, which include gratuities, the three free diamond and up happy hour drinks (if rolled out on your ship/sailing) do NOT include tips... you either have to tip in cash per drink, or write in a tip on the zero-balance bar bill (trust me, I didn't know about this, and I had a bar server basically yell at me for not tipping him!!)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Drink coupons are not valid in MDR, Windjammer and Speciality dining venues :(

Why the sad face. Cocktails in the CL or DL were never available in the MDR, Windjammer or Specialty dining venues, why should the vouchers cover these areas. The evening cocktails in the DL and CL were never meant to replace your dinner beverages.

enjoy

M

Also, unlike the drink packages, which include gratuities, the three free diamond and up happy hour drinks (if rolled out on your ship/sailing) do NOT include tips... you either have to tip in cash per drink, or write in a tip on the zero-balance bar bill (trust me, I didn't know about this, and I had a bar server basically yell at me for not tipping him!!)

Ouch! I have not been in your situation, but I've never seen a staff (bar server or otherwise) yell at a passenger. I image that he/she is no longer with RCCL!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

If they keep to their schedule, the roll out will be complete by fall. Personally, we like the idea of the 3 drinks we can buy at any bar because we usually travel with someone that isn't Diamond so we seldom use the DL.

Was it just the one bar server you had an issue with?

I know on my recent cruise some places made you swipe for free drinks (with drink package) and it always came up with tip amount but had a $0 option to check as well.) we tended to tip the bar servers that went out of their way serving us with the free drinks at the end of the cruise, but they didn't ask for, or expect it!

Drink coupons are not valid in MDR, Windjammer and Speciality dining venues :(

Why the sad face. Cocktails in the CL or DL were never available in the MDR, Windjammer or Specialty dining venues, why should the vouchers cover these areas. The evening cocktails in the DL and CL were never meant to replace your dinner beverages.

enjoy

M

facebook-like-300x225.jpg

Ouch! I have not been in your situation, but I've never seen a staff (bar server or otherwise) yell at a passenger. I image that he/she is no longer with RCCL!

M

Was it just the one bar server you had an issue with?

I know on my recent cruise some places made you swipe for free drinks (with drink package) and it always came up with tip amount but had a $0 option to check as well.) we tended to tip the bar servers that went out of their way serving us with the free drinks at the end of the cruise, but they didn't ask for, or expect it!

I was really shocked actually... yes, just the one bar server, others provided service with no comment, but that one actually asked for a tip, and when I pointed out that the receipt indicated the tip was included, said sarcastically (and frankly, hostile-ly), "oh yeah, I work for free."

On the positive side, if this embarrassing event hadn't happened, I would never have known that tips weren't included in these free drinks (I thought servers could submit their receipts, with their names on them, to get their share of tips, as I imagine they must for the drink package service with tips included). Of course, he could have explained it nicely rather than insulting me...

I didn't "turn him in" but the experience did make me take my time to go to guest services and c&a to request that they add to the free drink letter that tips are NOT included, so no one else would make the same mistake as I did, and either unintentionally stiff the bar servers... or risk being embarrassed by an insensitive one!!

And no, the other servers, though they may be polite, are not getting anything for serving those drinks... they are indeed "working for free".