Separate area in Windjammer for Diamond or higher?

I cannot remember which cruise ships I have seen it on, but I remember seeing areas on certain ships where the windjammer buffet offers an area for diamond members and higher? Maybe it was Oasis or Serenade? We had a junior suite on Oasis so we were allowed to use the area...I think it said diamond and higher and those with suites?

I'm asking because we all know how croweded the WJ gets during certain hours for breakfast and lunch.

Do they still have this? I'm going to be on Jewel if that matters. Just a nice perk to not walk around the windjammer a couple of times before finding a seat :D

The practice varies. Sometimes the area is for full suites only, sometimes for D+ and full suites, sometimes one venue for full suites and the other for D/D+, etc.

I cannot remember which cruise ships I have seen it on, but I remember seeing areas on certain ships where the windjammer buffet offers an area for diamond members and higher? Maybe it was Oasis or Serenade? We had a junior suite on Oasis so we were allowed to use the area...I think it said diamond and higher and those with suites?

I'm asking because we all know how croweded the WJ gets during certain hours for breakfast and lunch.

Do they still have this? I'm going to be on Jewel if that matters. Just a nice perk to not walk around the windjammer a couple of times before finding a seat :D

To me the best place for breakfast is the MDR. No waiting in line with the herd at the WJ. You're seated and served like human beings. On our last couple of cruises we ate breakfast in the MDR every day. Food is hot and made to order - no cold runny eggs like the buffet or cold toast. We've also done lunch in the MDR on sea days.

Ok...so it depends on the ship...we did have a suite on Freedom too but I don't recall if there was an area.

I do like the dining room for breakfast from time to time. I didn't have a good experience last time we went to the dining room for lunch though.

Was on FOS in May. Seating for Diamonds in Chops was available daily by reservation only through the Diamond Concierge.

The last time I was on Freedom (last Dec) Portofinos was opened for suite guests for breakfast. No reservation needed. We just presented out gold card on the first day and they knew us after that. The food was made-to-order in the Portofinos kitchen, and it was great. I thought it was much better than the MDR.

I can't remember what they did for lunch for the suite guests... I think we were either out-and-about or had room service.

Edited by Videophile

The last time I was on Freedom (last Dec) Portofinos was opened for suite guests for breakfast. No reservation needed. We just presented out gold card on the first day and they knew us after that. The food was made-to-order in the Portofinos kitchen, and it was great. I thought it was much better than the MDR.

I can't remember what they did for lunch for the suite guests... I think we were either out-and-about or had room service.

Just off Freedom Sunday and this is the same...used Portofino every day for breakfast..

Was on FOS in May. Seating for Diamonds in Chops was available daily by reservation only through the Diamond Concierge.

We were on FOS in May, and no reservations were required for Chops. Just showed the host our Sea Pass cards and found a free table. We ate in there every day.

I just got off of Jewel, and, no, they don't have a special place for Diamond members. However, my family and I ate most of our breakfasts in the MDR, which we prefer because it's more relaxed, you get table service, and they have a buffet for fruit and cereal. We did eat breakfast twice in the Windjammer, but there were always a decent amount of seats available.

Ok, thanks Max. We were on a smaller ship, Grandeur, last year, and it was a lot more difficult to find a seat at certain times. Hopefully Jewel is a little more spread out. Thanks!

Just to clarify, you are not talking about actually ordering off the menu, just getting your food at the WJ and sitting in Chops, correct?

No...you can bring food in from the WJ if you like, but until about 9:30 am or so, they will serve you breakfast in Portofino (not sure about Chops cause I didn't go in there). The menu may be the same as the dining room menu, but specifically you can get eggs to order, omelettes, pancakes, French Toast, etc. This is not the food in the Windjammer...it is cooked to order....The food overall is much better....

1. I don't do breakfast, so I am only talking about lunch.

2. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but I have NEVER seen Diamonds allowed in the specialty restaurants to eat their lunch, and I have never been allowed in as a D+. It was gold card only, strictly enforced.

Before the Navigator added the Diamond Lounge, the MDR had a special section for Diamond-and-higher breakfast. That section is cabins now, but the old 19th hole on deck 14 is now the Diamond lounge. I don't remember any special section for Diamond in the buffet -- I believe Chops was for suite guests.

Edited by Jimnbigd