Inside cabin on higher end cruise line, outside on mid or suite on budget line?

Personally, I'll take the inside on a ship that serves lobster even at the pool grill and has an uncrowded, quiet, adult ambiance throughout the public areas.

Same here, if you add in a good speaker program.

The ships I have been on most in the last few years aren't crowded, so there's no need to get away from the crowds. If I want to be outside, I prefer to be on a wide, open deck and not a small-ish balcony with dividers that limit my views. Or I like to be out and about the ship, reading or maybe people watching.

I'm just re-educating myself on these issues. Here's what I know for me.

I sailed 11 days with Oceania. No complaints, but neither was it better than cruises we had done on RCI. We had a bathtub on O that we never bathed in - just hung the swimming suits over. I found the four specialty restos overblown - just too much rich food, I can't eat that way every second night. O's claim to fame is that the staff to pax ratio is very high. Turns out I don't require much from the staff, so maybe I don't need that many of them. And yes, there are insides available on the Riviera.

The only balcony I would opt for is an aft, that's an outdoor room attached to your room. Those little side jobbies with two chairs and a tiny table, meh. Rather find a spacious place on a deck somewhere.

Trying an inside for the first time October. Will report back , but I think it's going to be just fine. I think I don't cruise for the cabin. I think I cruise for the ship and the ports. Still testing this hypothesis.

Well Silversea and Seabourn I know for sure don't have inside cabins.

Regent too, I think. I don't know about O and Azamara, perhaps they have inside cabins but they're not considered as luxury as SS, Regent and SB are.

Very true! I know O and Az are a little lower than the others, but higher than the ones in mid...and the super luxury ones generally don't have insides. O and Az seem to have very few insides but it's sort of nice that they do for those who don't mind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are mass market cruisers: Princess and RCL

The cabin depends on price, itinerary and public spaces aboard ship.

Oceana and Celebrity are lines we're watching for the future.

The larger the ship the better. We prefer not to "visit" with the same people throughout the cruise. We take mass market ships for variety of spaces and people.

Very true! I know O and Az are a little lower than the others, but higher than the ones in mid...and the super luxury ones generally don't have insides. O and Az seem to have very few insides but it's sort of nice that they do for those who don't mind them.

Also, the super high ends factor in excursions in a "pay one price." There are many cruisers who prefer to explore ports DIY whenever possible. DH will probably drink one glass of wine on an entire cruise, so to pay for included alcohol drinks is wasted on him. O's ambiance, together with the a la cart pricing is our best fit - but that's just us - everyone is different.

Edited by buggins0402

Just curious as to which you would prefer.

To keep things fair lets say it is a 10 day cruise to same region with similar itineraries. Price is exactly the same if you do inside/high end, ocean view/mid, suite w balcony/low end.

Higher end being lines such as: silversea, Oceania, Azamara, Regent, etc

Mid: Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, etc

Low: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, etc.

What demographic do you fit in and why did you choose as you did?

IF we could get an inside cabin on an Oceania or Silversea for the price of a suite on Carnival or Norwegian, I'd take it.

Not in the room all that much and the food is so much better.

IF we could get an inside cabin on an Oceania or Silversea for the price of a suite on Carnival or Norwegian, I'd take it.

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much is a suite on those lines?

We usually book an outside on Oceania

Do not forget the prices include the airfare & all non alcoholic drinks ..

That can add up