Inside cabin on higher end cruise line, outside on mid or suite on budget line?

Just curious as to which you would prefer.

To keep things fair lets say it is a 10 day cruise to same region with similar itineraries. Price is exactly the same if you do inside/high end, ocean view/mid, suite w balcony/low end.

Higher end being lines such as: silversea, Oceania, Azamara, Regent, etc

Mid: Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, etc

Low: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, etc.

What demographic do you fit in and why did you choose as you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if you did any comparative pricing on similar itineraries with the cruise lines you list in determining your ranking of high-mid-low. Not sure I would agree with those groupings. I also don't think that it would track that a suite on one would cost the same as an inside on another simply based on the cruise line. Too many other variables go into setting a price with a cruise line.

But to your question, IMO there is far more than the size and location of the stateroom and at what cost that would determine for me which cruise line I would choose. We typically prefer a certain type of stateroom regardless, and would not likely change that simply because of one lines pricing over another.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I agree with that I don't agree with your low and mid price range groupings. Following your parameter I would do RCCl because I like them and I think.they are good for kids whom I travel with. If money was no object I would be sailing the expensive lines already.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

To keep things fair lets say it is a 10 day cruise to same region with similar itineraries. Price is exactly the same if you do inside/high end, ocean view/mid, suite w balcony/low end.

under zero circumstances will I sail without a balcony. I prefer suites

we can usually swing a suite on Celebrity so I'd go that route.

We have booked an inside to sail on a long itinerary on a mid priced cruise line

Now I would book an outside on a premium line Oceania

I dislike big ships & do not need all inclusives or formal nights

There is not right or wrong answer choose what works best for YOU

We have booked an inside to sail on a long itinerary on a mid priced cruise line

Now I would book an outside on a premium line Oceania

I dislike big ships & do not need all inclusives or formal nights

There is not right or wrong answer choose what works best for YOU

And, not counting on it happening again - but sometimes the upgrade Fairy does some truly amazing things;).

Edited by buggins0402

Thanks. I was just interested in what others would pick.

I'm not really having to make this decision and I know the categories were loosely based. It was simply a hypothetical question. Thanks for participating though!

I've done inside,outside, balcony, and suite. Personally I don't mind inside, balcony is nice and preferable for me, suite was a little overkill IMO. But I know everyone has different preferences, which is why I was interested in the question.

We sail on the three lines that you ID as mid-level ones. They have worked out for us. One of these days we may find a bargain on a luxury line and try it out. So far, I haven't found one that fit our schedule.

Someone on this board once recommended upgrading your cruise line instead of your cabin. I agree. I'd rather sail in an inside cabin on a better ship than in a suite on a bad ship.

In my case, none of the above. I'd have an inside cabin on the cheapest, because (a) most of the stuff you pay for on more expensive lines is irrelevant to me, and (b) balconies are pointless to me when the whole ship is full of open decks. So why waste the money, unless you have a bottomless pit? (which I don't:()

If the price is exactly the same, I'd choose Oceania. I love the fact there are no formal evenings and no surcharge for specialty restaurants.

We usually do inside or OV on "low" lines since by choosing cheapest cabin I can afford more cruises.

Our cruise last year was 26 days, inside cabin on NCL Star. Loved it.

For me and my travel companions, we would never choose inside, no matter what line it was on. For us, balcony wins every time. We choose Princess or Celebrity but are totally open to other lines as well.

And, not counting on it happening again - but sometimes the upgrade Fairy does some truly amazing things;).

That is the truth. One time when we'd booked an inside on Oceania, they upgraded us to a balcony. What a treat for us!

That is the truth. One time when we'd booked an inside on Oceania, they upgraded us to a balcony. What a treat for us!

Same here, jumped for joy with the balcony assignment then a week before sailing received an offer for a penthouse for only $300 more pp. Will never happen again ( think there was a large corporate group on board that had a number of last minute cancellations for the PH cabins.) But, one must be content with what usually transpires with a guarantee inside - an inside! Personally, I'll take the inside on a ship that serves lobster even at the pool grill and has an uncrowded, quiet, adult ambiance throughout the public areas.

Only ever been on CCL and HAL. Can have just a good of a time in an inside cabin as a lager room. I choose good company and the right itinerary!

Regardless of the cruise line I usually book inside cabins as prefer to use the money saved to take more cruises. After all the ships amenities, on board activities, entertainment, food, etc. are all the same regardless of the cabin category.

Same here, jumped for joy with the balcony assignment then a week before sailing received an offer for a penthouse for only $300 more pp. Will never happen again ( think there was a large corporate group on board that had a number of last minute cancellations for the PH cabins.) But, one must be content with what usually transpires with a guarantee inside - an inside! Personally, I'll take the inside on a ship that serves lobster even at the pool grill and has an uncrowded, quiet, adult ambiance throughout the public areas.

Never say never

I keep trying to get an Outside cabin & keep getting those darn upgrades :D

Never say never

I keep trying to get an Outside cabin & keep getting those darn upgrades :D

LOL! Our travel budget is such that I have to stick with my initial low ante in, but looking at deck plans know why you would do that. :D

Well Silversea and Seabourn I know for sure don't have inside cabins.

Regent too, I think. I don't know about O and Azamara, perhaps they have inside cabins but they're not considered as luxury as SS, Regent and SB are.

There's pros and cons for each

An inside is easy to sleep but easy to lose track of time

The cruise line level will determine alit of different attributes to a cruise including cluentelle

You need to figure which is more important

Balcony or the people and service you prefer

Personal choice really

I would pick the cluentelle and service based on itinerary over cabin selection any day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me and my travel companions, we would never choose inside, no matter what line it was on. For us, balcony wins every time. We choose Princess or Celebrity but are totally open to other lines as well.

Same with us. If we can't afford a balcony, we'll wait until we can. For us having that large glass opening providing a view to the outside is a must. And being able to just hangout on our balcony away from the crowds, is so much more relaxing. Getting ready for dinner, and later for bed, and then getting up in the morning, usually takes at least an hour or more of our day, time which goes by so much more pleasantly when there is a beautiful view outside instead of a blank wall. No one can be out on the open decks all of the time. Everyone has to come back to their cabin for something during the day. With a view out our balcony door, it's actually nice to be in the room - something inside rooms certainly wouldn't be - and it's not something to avoid or to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

For us, much of the reason we cruise is about being on the water and having the view of the ocean to enjoy. So, no balcony - no cruise.

Even when we book a hotel room we'll always get one with a view. Life is too short to waste time cooped up in a drab, windowless room without a clue what the weather is like outside.

Edited by boogs