Pinnacle Class Ship?

sail7seas

Any ideas why there is such silence as to what the new ship will be like?

So little information has been released I wonder why?

Most cruise lines love to build excitement when they have a new ship/let alone new class of ship under construction.

It is a little baffling, isn't it? Maybe they don't want us attacking the design before it happens! Or maybe they want to spring something really new on us before the competition can beat them to the punch. Hah! :D

Edited by jtl513

No it will not be called Leerdam. My family doctor works for Hal on his vacations. HAL had an employee contest to name the new ship. It will be called the Statendam. I learned this in June when I had to go see him.

For years now, many of us have heard the reference to GRAND Statendam but I agree with you. Seeing Statendam is leaving the fleet, I think the new Pinnacle ship if it joins HAL's fleet will be named Statendam. :)

HAL is understated in most everything they do. While I think they have a poor marketing department they must be content with it so it is what it is.

The ship probably won't be too different from the Signatures really, probably a smaller MDR to add a few extra surcharge restaurants. I don't honestly see them changing much up on it otherwise.

... probably a smaller MDR to add a few extra surcharge restaurants. I don't honestly see them changing much up on it otherwise.
The ship will have about 400 more people than a Vista and the MDR must be able to accommodate everyone who chooses not to pay extra. It will be about 60% wider (IIRC) so they could have a larger MDR and put more specialty restaurants in the center (lengthwise). I wonder whether the 200 new cabins will all be on one new deck, or maybe have cross-aisles with many more inside cabins? Edited by catl331

No it will not be called Leerdam. My family doctor works for Hal on his vacations. HAL had an employee contest to name the new ship. It will be called the Statendam. I learned this in June when I had to go see him.

Just a heads up; that employee-naming contest for the new Pinnacle did in fact take place. However it took place in 2013, a year or so before the news came out that SADM and RYDM would be transferred to P&O Australia. I find it kinda strange that the contest winner, if there is one, would pick the name Statendam, having no clue that SADM would be outta here by 2015. The winner and winning name of that contest has not, as of yet, been announced to HAL employees by Seattle.

Now that the news is out that both SADM and RYDM will be internally transferred - not sold - to P&O Australia, it would not surprise me if the Pinnacle's name would be either of those two. That is, if HAL,follows tradition, which was not done with Eurodam, the only other time an employee ship naming contests has taken place. Time will tell!

For years now, many of us have heard the reference to GRAND Statendam but I agree with you. Seeing Statendam is leaving the fleet, I think the new Pinnacle ship if it joins HAL's fleet will be named Statendam. :)

Or maybe the new one will go to Cunard and the Statendam and Ryndam will stay put :)

Edited by frankc98376

I don't want to start things going again, but I hope it's not the Nicotinedam!

Really????????:eek:

Just a heads up; that employee-naming contest for the new Pinnacle did in fact take place. However it took place in 2013, a year or so before the news came out that SADM and RYDM would be transferred to P&O Australia. I find it kinda strange that the contest winner, if there is one, would pick the name Statendam, having no clue that SADM would be outta here by 2015. The winner and winning name of that contest has not, as of yet, been announced to HAL employees by Seattle.

Now that the news is out that both SADM and RYDM will be internally transferred - not sold - to P&O Australia, it would not surprise me if the Pinnacle's name would be either of those two. That is, if HAL,follows tradition, which was not done with Eurodam, the only other time an employee ship naming contests has taken place. Time will tell!

I'm still hoping it will be the 'Granddam' but alas they didn't ask me.:D

Really????????:eek:

I'm still hoping it will be the 'Granddam' but alas they didn't ask me.:D

I like tradition for a 134-year old company and am still hoping for a traditional name like Spaarndam last used from 1922 through 1939;)

AR-1934B-1.jpg

I like tradition for a 134-year old company and am still hoping for a traditional name like Spaarndam last used from 1922 through 1939;)

AR-1934B-1.jpg

I don't know Copper, just doesn't sound very elegant to me. How do you pronounce that, is it like spare or spar? I think with this being called the new Pinnacle class, it should have a better name than Spaarendam.

I don't know Copper, just doesn't sound very elegant to me. How do you pronounce that, is it like spare or spar? I think with this being called the new Pinnacle class, it should have a better name than Spaarendam.

It's pronounced in Dutch the exact same way as Statendam; "Spaah-rndahm" as in "say Aah"

It's pronounced in Dutch the exact same way as Statendam; "Spaah-rndahm" as in "say Aah"

Thanks Copper, now I even like it less. I think you shouldn't name your ships something that nobody can pronounces right (except for you ) but then Hal didn't ask me, as I said.

It will be nice when we finally know what her name is, beside's Pinnacle class.

I wouldn't count on HAL using the correct pronunciation. Just look how they pronounce Veendam with a long "e", let alone getting the "V" correct (should sound like an "F"). It made me cringe every time I heard "Veendam" in announcements by both the cruise director and the captain on our last cruise.

igraf

Probably because HAL is eager to fill the ships sailing right now. Same reason why auto manufacturers do not tell you about next year's model when they still have current inventory to sell.

igraf

Any ideas why there is such silence as to what the new ship will be like?

So little information has been released I wonder why?

Most cruise lines love to build excitement when they have a new ship/let alone new class of ship under construction.

That keel has been lying at Fincantieri (sp) for years. In the interim, Carnival Corp. was deciding whether or not it should be used for a HAL ship or not.

Who knows, they may not have made a definite decision yet. They are building something, but maybe just to use it somewhere.

Think back the last two new builds, the two Signatures. There was plenty of hype and blogging leading up to the launch by this time.

Boy do we feel old! Our first cruise was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) followed by the old Rotterdam and the old Noordam.

Boy was it exciting sailing on the maiden voyage of the Statendam, followed by the maiden voyages of Maasdam, Veendam and Ryndam. We were booked for the maiden voyage of the new Rotterdam but HAL canceled it because Fincantiere was a month behind on its completion. We were able to sail on her a year later (1998) on a Baltic cruise from Rotterdam!

To see the Statendam and Ryndam moving on means either we're getting old (no way ;)) or HAL moves its ships only after just a few sailings. Yea, that's the ticket.

What would be a real shock would be if the Rotterdam gets replaced by a new ship and we sail on the "third generation" of Rotterdam.

Boy do we feel old! Our first cruise was on the old Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) followed by the old Rotterdam and the old Noordam.

Boy was it exciting sailing on the maiden voyage of the Statendam, followed by the maiden voyages of Maasdam, Veendam and Ryndam. We were booked for the maiden voyage of the new Rotterdam but HAL canceled it because Fincantiere was a month behind on its completion. We were able to sail on her a year later (1998) on a Baltic cruise from Rotterdam!

To see the Statendam and Ryndam moving on means either we're getting old (no way ;)) or HAL moves its ships only after just a few sailings. Yea, that's the ticket.

What would be a real shock would be if the Rotterdam gets replaced by a new ship and we sail on the "third generation" of Rotterdam.

I so get it, Host Walt. :D

We were at Maasdam's Inaugural Parties in Boston when she made the crossing from Fincantieri. We sailed Inaugural Year (though not Inaugural Voyage) on all four "S" class sisters. Same for Rotterdam VI. We were aboard for her first New Year's Eve. :) GREAT party!!!

Nope; we are old Walt! ;) Our first cruise on HAL was on Nieuw Amsterdam III in NOV 1993 out of Tampa. NADM's captain on that cruise, Simon Douwes, has been HAL's Director of Deployment & Itinerary Planning since 2001

That keel has been lying at Fincantieri (sp) for years. In the interim, Carnival Corp. was deciding whether or not it should be used for a HAL ship or not.

Who knows, they may not have made a definite decision yet. They are building something, but maybe just to use it somewhere.

Think back the last two new builds, the two Signatures. There was plenty of hype and blogging leading up to the launch by this time.

The putting together and laying of any keel comes after the cutting of the 1st steel plate which, in this case, occurred in FEB 2014. How do you 'splain "that keel laying around Fincantieri for years" yet the first steel plate being cut five months ago? :cool: