No kettle?

nb125

I was disappointed to learn that kettles are not provided in cabins. Does that mean I would not be allowed a travel kettle. I like to have a cup of tea when I wake up and than coffee with my breakfast. On days when we are going to the buffet for breakfast I will just order tea from room service but if we are wanting breakfast on the balcony I don't think it would work to order two lots of room service half an hour apart and probably would be very unpopular with the staff.

Does anyone know the answer to this. All I can think of is to take a flask and send DH to the Lido as soon as he gets up but, for some reason, he doesn't seem too keen on this idea. Before you suggest it I couldn't possible go myself. No human until I have had my early morning cup of tea:)

Unfortunately you will not be able to bring a travel kettle either as any hear producing appliance, such as a kettle or iron, are not allowed in the cabin. In fact, if found they will confiscate the item.

You can order from room service 24 hours a day. It's that or the trek to the Lido I'm afraid.

I don't see two room service trips as a problem. I'd just call for breakfast as soon as the tea is delivered.

Might be nice if you gave the person who delivers your orders a dollar or two, but chances are it might not even be the same server for both deliveries.

I don't see two room service trips as a problem. I'd just call for breakfast as soon as the tea is delivered.

Might be nice if you gave the person who delivers your orders a dollar or two, but chances are it might not even be the same server for both deliveries.

It really is a European thing to have a "kettle" in the room. I understand the question and why room service really is not the solution.

You can call Room Service when you get up for your pot of Tea.

The night before you can fill out your breakfast order card for whatever else you want and the time you want and put it out on the door handle when you retire.

Thanks everyone, I gues I will go with this idea.:)

We are forbidden to use any heating devices in our cabin such as heating coils and the like.

When you order hot water for tea or hot coffee, they are delivered in keep hot thermal containers and if the water (coffee) goes in very hot, it stays reasonably hot for a while.

When you place your order for tea, also order the coffee, so they will be delivered at the same time but specify clearly and several times you want it REALLY HOT. Your coffee should remain hot enough until you are ready for it. Of course, you'll want to request several cups.

Here is what we do. DW must have her instant coffee in the morning. The first night we order a pot of hot water in a large container. Most of them, but not all, will keep the water hot enough for coffee in the morning. If so, we keep that thermos pot. Each evening before we retire I take it to the Lido and fill it with hot water and bring it back to the room. Works for us.

On days when we are going to the buffet for breakfast I will just order tea from room service but if we are wanting breakfast on the balcony I don't think it would work to order two lots of room service half an hour apart and probably would be very unpopular with the staff.

Do not worry about the staff. It is their job to bring you your morning tea and breakfast. They will do it with a smile.

Lower your expectations for tea. Unless things have changed you will receive a tea bag and hot water that is not quite hot enough.

Here is what we do. DW must have her instant coffee in the morning. The first night we order a pot of hot water in a large container. Most of them, but not all, will keep the water hot enough for coffee in the morning. If so, we keep that thermos pot. Each evening before we retire I take it to the Lido and fill it with hot water and bring it back to the room. Works for us.

It might be hot enough for instant coffee after sitting all night, but not hot enough to brew tea properly.

Yes, you're both right, it does need to be boiling really for a proper cup of tea but that's something I have got used to when in US or Europe.

I really don't understand why they don't let us have kettles.

On our alaskan cruise we had an inexpensive electric water kettle. Used it every day to make coffee with a melita filter or tea. The kettle was sitting put in the open every day. We found that coffee on board was just ok... Not good. We even had access to the neptune lounge with its famous coffee machine. It was barely good.

No one confiscated anything.

We brought one on the advice of my brother and his wife who take 2-3 cruises a year for many years. They alway bring a kettle.

Uh Oh..... Here comes the Rules Police.... More evidence that I am ruining it for everyone and potentially burning down the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If their is an auto-shutoff on a heating device you will have less chance of having it taken from you, though temporarily until disembarkation.

There are cruise lines that provide kettles in the room, definitely NCL, maybe Cunard, Crystal, others, and maybe not all ships in their respective lines. But HAL is not one of them.

We enjoyed our travels in Australia and New Zealand where every land room came with a "jug" but ships not so much. The Australians going to New Zealand with us were not too happy either. m--

Uilleann - I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of taking a kettle onboard, but I wonder how it was missed through security when they are so quick to confiscate other banned items. Perhaps a small tea-kettle is allowable after all.

If their is an auto-shutoff on a heating device you will have less chance of having it taken from you, though temporarily until disembarkation.

There are cruise lines that provide kettles in the room, definitely NCL, maybe Cunard, Crystal, others, and maybe not all ships in their respective lines. But HAL is not one of them.

We enjoyed our travels in Australia and New Zealand where every land room came with a "jug" but ships not so much. The Australians going to New Zealand with us were not too happy either. m--

RCI definitely provide them.

I also must have tea first thing in the morning. I always pack a travel tea kettle and my "pg tips" tea. I'm a heavy sleeper so I order room service for my tea and use it as a wake up call. I gave up smoking but never my tea!

I really don't understand why they don't let us have kettles.

People who work on the ships in positions of authority have posted that having "kettles" would be a fire hazard due to the wiring, and the draw on that wiring that such appliances have.

I know I don't have to understand the ins and outs of "why", I just have to know that HAL has made the ruling, presumably for good reason, and I am not about to question it. I certainly would not violate it, putting myself and everyone else on the ship in danger.

I would not expect a steward, who is counting on gratuities and possibly an extra tip at the end of the cruise, to rat me out. He has a vested interest in keeping me happy.

I think I'd rather have smokers in the next cabin than "cookers" with heat-producing appliances that can get forgotten (unlike, say, hair dryers which make too much noise to be left on). The thought of a line that permitted multiple such appliances such as kettles throughout the ship would clearly be enough to keep me away.

I'm curious how long one should expect it to take from calling for coffee until the coffee arrived at your cabin. This coffee issue is, unfortunately, worrisome to me. If I waited until I was dressed and ready to go out before I got my coffee, I'd have a bad headache. Alternatively, if I set my coffee arrival time the night before, and then had the luxury of actually sleeping later, I'd hate to have the steward waking with up with the coffee delivery. :eek:

I am very odd, even at home I have a thermos of coffee next to the bed, first thing I do is pour a cup (yes even before getting out of bed for any reason). I wish that HAL would allow kettles (with an automatic shut off) so I could take my French press and make decent coffee.

Room service just doesn't cut it for me because I don't know when I will wake up.

(As I said--I'm a little odd)

Edited by mountainmare

If you're a "tea granny' like my wife, anything short of boiling water will not do. We take a thermos and our own tea. In the morning I take the thermos and plod to the nearest boiling water dispenser (I prefer to head to anyplace that makes espresso for their hot water), put the tea into the thermos and fill'er up.

I'm sure that if your DH loves you, he'll do the same for you as I do for my DW.

Edited by Mr_Astro
clarification

We really are quite civilised over here. :D

We were in Canada and US for 6 weeks last year and it was only during our last few nights in Seattle that I realised my mistake. I kept requesting an electric jug http://furtherthanyouthink.com/2011/08/03/electric-jug-vs-old-fashioned-pot-the-mystery-is-solved/

and kept being told no such thing was available. Finally in Seattle housekeeping said we will send a kettle to your room straight away. :rolleyes: it is all in the words.

Over here a kettle is usually placed over a heat source such as a gas stove.

Hi

It boggles my mind that people fell its of to bring items on board they know is banned. They must have that strip to recharge thier toys. even though they know they can get one at the front desk.

Now people want to bring kettles for hot tea. The don't care if there item might cause a fire. So a recharged strip or tea kittle or any other item that is banned they don't care.

So of a fire does break out because people bring these items are brought on board.. Innocent people will be hurt or be on news about another ship in trouble.

I do hope if there is a fire I hope these ships will bring these thoughless people who do not care about thier fellow passengers.

Is that cup of tea worth it

Mary

Hi

It boggles my mind that people fell its of to bring items on board they know is banned. They must have that strip to recharge thier toys. even though they know they can get one at the front desk.

Now people want to bring kettles for hot tea. The don't care if there item might cause a fire. So a recharged strip or tea kittle or any other item that is banned they don't care.

So of a fire does break out because people bring these items are brought on board.. Innocent people will be hurt or be on news about another ship in trouble.

I do hope if there is a fire I hope these ships will bring these thoughless people who do not care about thier fellow passengers.

Mary

Will someone please tell me where it states on the HAL WEB site or the "Know before you go booklet" that a tea Kettle is banned! the only place I've seen is as banned is on Cruise Critic' date=' because some one thinks they should be banned..

I don't take a tea Kettle, but would certainly not tell someone they are banned unless I had it in writing to back me up..

If the tea kettle had an auto shut off, I think they would be just as safe as my Curling iron is, with it's auto-shut off.. IMO smoking on a balcony is more dangerous that a tea kettle with an auto shut off..

All the electric tea kettles I've researched on HSN have an auto. shut off!

Several years ago I went through the same discussion on this board about my electric curling iron with it's auto-shut off & according to HAL they have not been banned either..[/size']

Hi

Mary

It can't be that much of a hazard or RCI for example wouldn't put kettles in all cabins on ships sailing from Southampton. They take them out again when they go back to the Caribbean. Are they more likely to catch fire there?:confused:

There would be less risk if cruise lines just supplied the kettles in the first place. That way they could be subject to regular safety checks.