No kettle?

nb125

Just to provide some further information, a lot of folks don't realize that an electric kettle uses about 1200-1500 watts of electricity. Most curling irons, by comparison use less than 25.

I am a Rule Obeyer and would never bring something not allowed. But I'm also a very reason-driven person, and I don't understand these two points:

• If the high wattage use is the issue, why are people allowed to bring hair dryers that can be in excess of 1800 watts?
  • If tea kettles are so dangerous, why are they allowed on some cruises (e.g., as pointed out they are installed in some ships specifically for the British market and other ships seem to have them year-round)

If it's a safety issue, it's a safety issue. Does "safety" magically change by appliance or from geography to geography?

It amazes me how quickly some people jump to conclusions to judge others.

I asked if kettles are allowed, I have been told they are not and have seen this in black and white (thank you). This is good enough for me and I have never had any intention of breaking the rules.

Don't worry. It's not you. Your question was completely normal and I doubt if anyone (normal people, that is) think there was anything wrong with asking.

Did you ever see a cartoon where a character starts rolling a small snowball down a mountain, and by the time it reaches the bottom it's a massive, gargantuan snowball - careening out of control and crushing everything in its way? Some questions are like that... ;)

Don't worry. It's not you. Your question was completely normal and I doubt if anyone (normal people, that is) think there was anything wrong with asking.

Did you ever see a cartoon where a character starts rolling a small snowball down a mountain, and by the time it reaches the bottom it's a massive, gargantuan snowball - careening out of control and crushing everything in its way? Some questions are like that... ;)

Yes, I know what you mean and I am beginning to think that there is no such thing as a 'safe' question.:)

Yes, I know what you mean and I am beginning to think that there is no such thing as a 'safe' question.:)

They are few and far between, true.

Look at it from the point of view that many people just don't read the question. Then, they project their own vision of what is being asked, and direct their answer to that.

It's them, not you.

They are few and far between, true.

Look at it from the point of view that many people just don't read the question. Then, they project their own vision of what is being asked, and direct their answer to that.

It's them, not you.

Thanks Ruth, maybe I should take a tip from your signature and ask questions about chocolate, surely no one could get worked up about that or could they?

Thanks Ruth, maybe I should take a tip from your signature and ask questions about chocolate, surely no one could get worked up about that or could they?

Oh, yes, they can! It wasn't that long ago that HAL changed the chocolates and it caused quite a stir here!

Go ahead and ask whatever question you want, and ignore the judgmental responses. Sometimes, one needs a very thick skin!

Oh, yes, they can! It wasn't that long ago that HAL changed the chocolates and it caused quite a stir here!

Go ahead and ask whatever question you want, and ignore the judgmental responses. Sometimes, one needs a very thick skin!

You mean you still get chocolates on HAL? They stopped those on RCI a while ago. I may just have to forgive them for the kettle in that case :)

You mean you still get chocolates on HAL?

YESSSSS! You still get pillow chocolates on HAL! :D They aren't the thick, round milk chocolates, with the HAL logo imprinted, anymore (I still have one of those for a "special" occasion), but at least there is a token piece left on the bed every night.

I think these heating coils are also on the banned list, but thanks for the suggestion.

If they are banned, I am unaware of it. I have brought one on every cruise as I need it for medicinal purposes (no I am not going to explain). I need to heat distilled water and there is no way to do this on the ship. I have asked.

It has never been taken from me and I hope it will not be taken this time.

If I am asked about it, I will explain the purpose for which it will be used.

Terri

If they are banned, I am unaware of it. I have brought one on every cruise as I need it for medicinal purposes (no I am not going to explain). I need to heat distilled water and there is no way to do this on the ship. I have asked.

It has never been taken from me and I hope it will not be taken this time.

If I am asked about it, I will explain the purpose for which it will be used.

Terri

Hi Terri, it was in the documentation that POA posted and it reads:-

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water

heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may

order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining

service 24 hours a day.

I'm assuming it would be classed as an electric water heater but I'm sure you would be given dispensaton for medicinal purposes.

Hi Terri, it was in the documentation that POA posted and it reads:-

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water

heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may

order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining

service 24 hours a day.

I'm assuming it would be classed as an electric water heater but I'm sure you would be given dispensaton for medicinal purposes.

Well, I will continue to bring it the coil. For the less than five minutes I need to use it and I watch it like a hawk while it is on, I am not going to worry about it. If they take it away, they will have to provide another type of accommodation for me. Short of booking the Pinnacle Suite where there is a microwave, there is no other way (so they tell me) to heat distilled water.

I don't make a big deal about it, don't leave it out, and have never been asked about it. I am just very careful with what I have to do.

Terri

Well, I will continue to bring it the coil. For the less than five minutes I need to use it and I watch it like a hawk while it is on, I am not going to worry about it. If they take it away, they will have to provide another type of accommodation for me. Short of booking the Pinnacle Suite where there is a microwave, there is no other way (so they tell me) to heat distilled water.

I don't make a big deal about it, don't leave it out, and have never been asked about it. I am just very careful with what I have to do.

Terri

Ditto. I sit/stand next to it (always afraid it will boil over) and always put it on a safe surface to cool before storing it.

I much prefer it to bringing a travel kettle which takes up too much room in my bag.

Well, I will continue to bring it the coil. For the less than five minutes I need to use it and I watch it like a hawk while it is on, I am not going to worry about it.

How does watching it help if the fire starts in the space between the cabins, as described by Bruce Muzz?

How does watching it help if the fire starts in the space between the cabins, as described by Bruce Muzz?

I have no answer. But I do have a medical condition that requires warm distilled water. So far I have used this coil on ten or more cruises and nothing has happened in the few minutes I have had to use it at most once a day. We are not talking about leaving this on for more than three minutes. I know that anything can happen in a short time. However, not being able to do this means I cannot take a cruise.

So tell now tell me I should stay home.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

nb, have you considered using a | Travel Immersion Water Heater

41qslNPREXL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

^ This Brand is for example purposes only.

View full details

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Voltage/dp/B000AXS0UE

Edited to add *link* to reviews on like devices. :)

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=364124

Those heating coils have been used so carelessly and caused so many issues that years ago I specifically recall they were banned in our college dormitory. They do not belong being used on a cruise ship and that is likely why they are forbidden. :rolleyes:

If anyone has any other suggestion for heating distilled water other than booking the Pinnacle Suite, which I cannot do, I am open to it.

Do something constructive rather than flame me.

Thank you,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Those heating coils have been used so carelessly and caused so many issues that years ago I specifically recall they were banned in our college dormitory. They do not belong being used on a cruise ship and that is likely why they are forbidden. :rolleyes:

Do you have another suggestion for me?

Terri

If anyone has any other suggestion for heating distilled water other than booking the Pinnacle Suite, which I cannot do, I am open to it.

Do something constructive rather than flame me.

Thank you,

Terri

Have you approached HAL's medical staff? I'm sure that they can help you resolve the issue. The on board medical facility would have an autoclave that could be used to heat the water. Alternatively, I'm sure arrangements could be made with one of the kitchens.

Holland America Line frequently accommodates groups of up to 30 individuals with special medical needs, such as cardiac, dialysis or respiratory patients. Additionally, Holland America Line ships are suitable for physically- challenged guests. For further assistance, guests with special medical requirements may ask their travel agent to fax information to Holland America Line's Ship Services Department: (206) 298-3014.

All I am able to suggest is you not endanger a ship full of thousands of people.

If decades ago, these heating coils were deemed unsafe for a college dormitory (as they were), Bruce Muzz has explained the mechanical reasons why they are banned, that is sufficient for many of us to consider them risky to use.

Thank you. I will go down to the medical unit and ask if they can heat up the distilled water for me. Believe me, I have asked on every cruise, except for the two times we were in the Penthouse and been told that they do not have the means to heat up the distilled water.

This is not a frivolous problem, but a real medical situation that I must look after. If I do not, I will suffer for the entire cruise. I do it as infrequently I as can.

I understand the risks and do not want to put anyone else in jeopardy. I also know my needs. I will definitely go to the medical staff and ask if they can help me.. I am not trying to flagrantly go against the rules.

Thank you for the advice.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Not on cruise ships.

My response about small coffee makers being common in the US was in response to this point about hotels and motels in New Zealand. (See below, or as quoted in the original.) It makes more sense in context. :)

In New Zealand every Hotel room and Motel will have an electric kettle, with tea, coffee, sugar, milk, and some times a cookie:D
Edited by POA1

Thank you. I will go down to the medical unit and ask if they can heat up the distilled water for me. Believe me, I have asked on every cruise, except for the two times we were in the Penthouse and been told that they do not have the means to heat up the distilled water.

This is not a frivolous problem, but a real medical situation that I must look after. If I do not, I will suffer for the entire cruise. I do it as infrequently I as can.

I understand the risks and do not want to put anyone else in jeopardy. I also know my needs. I will definitely go to the medical staff and ask if they can help me.. I am not trying to flagrantly go against the rules.

Thank you for the advice.

Terri

How warm do you need it? Could it be put into a plastic bottle and stood in a sink of hot water? Would that be warm enough?