How Old is too Old to Sail NCL?

kcwingwalker

OK so I know NCL has some firm restrictions on the age when children can begin cruising. A child must be at least 6 months old and accompanied by an adult (the adult part makes sense).

But let's head out to the other end of the age spectrum. Does NCL or other cruise lines have any restrictions for seniors. I know you must be in good health and in some cases might be asked for a statement from a physician that a person is fit to travel, but at what age might a cruise line decline a booking because of advanced age?

You can't keyhole people according to their age. I know old young people and I know young old people. I truly believe in the saying that age is only a number; it's more about your attitude and aptitude.

All that being said, I don't think Norwegian would EVER try to instill an age at which one is too old to cruise.

My parents are in their 80's - Dad is 88. This is their 10th cruise in 11 years. They've been married nearly 61 years, and every time we cruise I think they could be the folks on board with the longest marriage, then someone else in the crowd speaks up who has been married longer. Only by weeks in one case.

There are a lot of senior-seniors out there who love to cruise. I don't think you'd ever see an age restriction….but that's just my thinking.

Just curious on this one. Hey I've seen some really senior folks who are having one h*ll of a time. Saw two senior ladies in bikinis sharing a bucket of beer while enjoying breakfast from the buffet and they had to be well in their 80's......................or maybe they just stayed too long at the party:eek:

We were recently on a 14 day NCL Transatlantic and there was a pretty big age range that went against traditional thinking for a TA. Lots of people over 55 who were in very good shape and did not need any accomodations. I'd say about half the scooters were younger people who had significant mobility problems likely due to obesity.

Someone just posted here the other day about the fact that they had booked a family cruise with Granny to celebrate her 100th birthday!!

I only hope I will be so lucky as to be taking a cruise at 100!

I've never heard of anyone being asked to complete a medical questionnaire pre cruise, and I've never seen anything put out by Norwegian or any cruise line to state you must be in good health to buy a ticket. There are many who cruise with all sorts of serious medical issues going on such as cancer, heart conditions, diabeties. It's between you and your doctor. NCL doesn't get involved.

We celebrated a close friend's 100th birthday on board... she was real happy to find the BINGO games and outlasted us in the night club every night. Not sure if she found a lover on board, but she would blush and change the subject when asked. We think her Swedish blood began to flow when the ship hit the open sea.

Has anybody noticed NCL having age restrictions on shore excursions? I've only noticed it so far on Royal. Banned once from a Segway tour (I've done it since on both HAL and Crystal), and on a hike in Samana in 2013 that I'd have been excluded from the following year.

Roy

Has anybody noticed NCL having age restrictions on shore excursions? I've only noticed it so far on Royal. Banned once from a Segway tour (I've done it since on both HAL and Crystal), and on a hike in Samana in 2013 that I'd have been excluded from the following year.

Roy

There are probably some that do, and some even specify that you should not book if you have serious medical conditions, like diabetes. This is to limit their liability should you get into trouble. Any restrictions are spelled out in the tour descriptions. Any age restriction you won't be able to get around, but for medical, we just use our own judgement and keep the info to ourselves. No reason for DH not to snorkel just because he is diabetic. He is in good shape and stable blood sugars. But if something should happen, I guess you might have an issue with insurance coverage if you were participating against their advise.

Edited by punkincc

Roy

My guess is that it would be the tour vendor, NOT the cruise line that establishes age and physical restrictions.

My dad took his first cruise on NCL Jewel when he was 81. It only took me decades to convince him the cruise ships were nothing like the steamer ships he took when he came to the US. What was he most impressed with?......... that there were bathrooms and showers in each cabin because apparently when you sailed third class or steerage or whatever they called it back then, bathrooms were shared:eek:

No age is too old for cruising!

Roy

There are probably some that do, and some even specify that you should not book if you have serious medical conditions, like diabetes. This is to limit their liability should you get into trouble. Any restrictions are spelled out in the tour descriptions. Any age restriction you won't be able to get around, but for medical, we just use our own judgement and keep the info to ourselves. No reason for DH not to snorkel just because he is diabetic. He is in good shape and stable blood sugars. But if something should happen, I guess you might have an issue with insurance coverage if you were participating against their advise.

Most of the restrictions I've noticed on excursions are WEIGHT related. Guests must be under XXX pounds, that sort of thing.

Most of the restrictions I've noticed on excursions are WEIGHT related. Guests must be under XXX pounds, that sort of thing.

Yes, those and age restrictions are very common, but health restrictions are also mentioned fairly often. Here is one from St John's Antigua for example for one tour that included zip lines, rainforest hike, catamaran sail and snorkel:

"Participants must be at least 4 feet fall, weigh less than 250 lbs. This tour is not recommended for pregnant women, persons with a history of heart conditions, seizures, back, knee, shoulder problems or other pre-existing health problems." Some of them mention respiratory conditions as well.

I do note that it says,"not recommended", so I guess they would not turn you away perhaps if you made a full disclosure. Maybe indicated more as a warning to use good judgement based on your health.

Has anybody noticed NCL having age restrictions on shore excursions? I've only noticed it so far on Royal. Banned once from a Segway tour (I've done it since on both HAL and Crystal), and on a hike in Samana in 2013 t?) hat I'd have been excluded from the following year.

Roy

Wonder why they banned (by age?) on the Segway? I've seen weight restrictions (zip lines, helicopter, etc. for obvious reasons) and occasional minimum age requirements but nothing like that. My dad at 90 could have outhiked most people half his age. When asked the OP's question, my response has been that I have seen an elderly blind man cruising alone with his guide dog and a lady rolling her husband around who would look as if he'd expired when he slept while she participated in activities.

Only death I've known about was on RCCL was an 80 year old whose luggage was lost with his heart medicine inside. A real lesson on why to keep your prescriptions and documents with you when you fly and not check them. Agree with those who have said it's not age but physical condition that should determine whether one should cruise or not.