Does Anyone Dress Up?

crisp1

Ok. We're more of the traditional cruisers- prefer traditional dining and like the 'formal' nights. We're booked on the 12 night rt Gem 12/01/14 and are able to drive to NYC- so we can bring all the luggage the car can handle. We both enjoy the formal nights and 'dress up'. NCL has the 'white hot nights' but is there any other nights on a 12 night that we can dress up- or should we leave the fancies at home

Bring your fancies, if that's something "suits your fancy!":) That's what freestyle is all about - do what you want, when you want, with whomever you want. Within reason of course!

In the 9 NCL cruises we have taken so far, I would guess that 35-40% dress up on the optional formal nights.

Go for it!

Ok. We're more of the traditional cruisers- prefer traditional dining and like the 'formal' nights. We're booked on the 12 night rt Gem 12/01/14 and are able to drive to NYC- so we can bring all the luggage the car can handle. We both enjoy the formal nights and 'dress up'. NCL has the 'white hot nights' but is there any other nights on a 12 night that we can dress up- or should we leave the fancies at home

.....dressing how you want, when you want.

We will get dressed up 1 or 2 nights per cruise. The Queen likes to show off the hard work that she has done to keep herself in good shape.

Not me, I just go along for the ride.

;)

wasiii

Yes, Nancy, you will be able to dress up. Even get your picture taken with the Captain in your finest!

They also have photographers set up in the atrium area on their "Dress up or not" nights so that people, couples, or families can have their pictures taken professionally. I love sitting and watching all this going on as I enjoy a drink before dinner. Some fun photos/groups can be seen.

So take all the clothes you want, even dress up every night if you wish!

You are free to dress up all 12 nights if you want to. Or you can choose to dress up on 0 nights...or any number in between. Your choice.

NCL will never ask or require you to dress in more than resort casual. No venues or events onboard ever require dress more than resort casual.

Enjoy your cruise the way YOU want to. Don't give a second thought to what other people onboard may or may not do...they are also choosing to enjoy their vacations the way that they want to.

You are free to dress up all 12 nights if you want to. Or you can choose to dress up on 0 nights...or any number in between. Your choice.

NCL will never ask or require you to dress in more than resort casual. No venues or events onboard ever require dress more than resort casual.

Enjoy your cruise the way YOU want to. Don't give a second thought to what other people onboard may or may not do...they are also choosing to enjoy their vacations the way that they want to.

Good reply above!

Honestly, most are dressed resort casual ... but it's totally up to you.

LuLu

I agree with the others that people can feel totally free to do what they want, but I tend to go on longer cruises (TA's) and then I travel in Europe so I am resolute to not even pack ONE cocktail dress next time. Every few ounces counts and one of the nice things of traveling without set tablemates is that almost no one cares or pays attention to what you wear.

I find freestyle over stated on this board mostly by those who don't appear to have sailed other lines or those who haven't strayed from NCL in many years. Most things touted as freestyle cruising can be found on most of the mass market cruise lines now. As for the dress code, my experience with one NCL cruise to Alaska was that people dressed as nicely as they did on our Panama Canal cruise on Princess. From my limited experience, people dress nicer on Celebrity cruises than they do on Princess or NCL. It really depends what line you're used to. I wouldn't wear full length, formal ball gowns (with sequins, beads, etc.)on NCL. More understated formal dresses should be fine. I wore a floor length, black skirt w/ beaded top & an ivory tea length skirt w/sequin top on NCL & fit in fine. Thinking Princess would be dressier than NCL, I overdressed. :o I'll save the gowns for Celebrity from now on.

How refreshing to have thread that talks about those who enjoy dressing up a bit (if they wish!). Instead of the many questions about what they can get away with in the dining rooms. :)

I quite enjoy getting dressed up - not over the top - but a pretty cocktail dress or a longer black skirt with a nice blouse - makes me feel good to get gusied up once and awhile.

If you're not worrying about luggage weight - then I say go for it! It's your holiday - do what makes you happy is what I say. And don't worry if others are dressing casually - it's their holiday too! That's the beauty of freestyle. Enjoy!

OP - On NCL you will be in the minority if you dress up. If you're fine with that, then you can certainly take all your finest and dress how you like. There's a minimum dress code, not a maximum one.

Personally, I prefer to travel light and comfortable and leave the nice attire at home

My husband and I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner, especially for the specialty restaurants, and also for picture nights. Have used many of these photos on Christmas cards and get so many wonderful comments.

I agree with cpcanuck and khia213 comments. I love dressing up and take at least 5 or 6 cocktail dresses for a 7 day cruise. I'm not young, but still think I look good in a dress (my husband says so, sweet thing) and really don't get that much of an opportunity to dress up when home.

I disagree with ConnieG. Seems we get more attention at dinner when we are dressed to the T rather in casual wear. Try this just about anywhere when your out and about at home. People tend to pay more attention to you when you look exceptionally nice then just in normal wear. Just my assumption, that's all. Wear what you want. Just don't show up in your underwear. Just have a grand time whatever you do. Feel what's right for you. Enjoy your cruise.

I find freestyle over stated on this board mostly by those who don't appear to have sailed other lines or those who haven't strayed from NCL in many years. Most things touted as freestyle cruising can be found on most of the mass market cruise lines now. As for the dress code, my experience with one NCL cruise to Alaska was that people dressed as nicely as they did on our Panama Canal cruise on Princess. From my limited experience, people dress nicer on Celebrity cruises than they do on Princess or NCL. It really depends what line you're used to. I wouldn't wear full length, formal ball gowns (with sequins, beads, etc.)on NCL. More understated formal dresses should be fine. I wore a floor length, black skirt w/ beaded top & an ivory tea length skirt w/sequin top on NCL & fit in fine. Thinking Princess would be dressier than NCL, I overdressed. :o I'll save the gowns for Celebrity from now on.

Yes, the other lines have done their best to copy NCL:).

OP - On NCL you will be in the minority if you dress up. If you're fine with that, then you can certainly take all your finest and dress how you like. There's a minimum dress code, not a maximum one.

Personally, I prefer to travel light and comfortable and leave the nice attire at home

My observation was about half the passengers were dressed up on Norwegian's Night out. I didn't see any tuxes or ball gowns but a lot of suits/sport coats and nice dresses.

As others have said you can dress up or not every night.

My experience has been probably 20% of passengers dress up formally on the Norwegian Night Out with many couples doing it for photos or special occasion meals.

But just think how much less luggage without those heavy bulky clothes (well men's are once you add tux jacket and best shiny leather shoes) :D

I love dressing up also. When I am home and go out to dinner, most of our local places are casual so when I'm traveling I do enjoy the opportunity to wear a nice dress, skirt or slacks with a dressy top.

On my last cruise, though, I went to Ocean Blue on "dress up or not night" wearing a sparkly top and black long skirt. Was surprised to see two ladies seated next to me in denim cut-offs and tank tops. I thought there was a dress code for certain specialty restaurants?

Tracy

I love dressing up also. When I am home and go out to dinner, most of our local places are casual so when I'm traveling I do enjoy the opportunity to wear a nice dress, skirt or slacks with a dressy top.

On my last cruise, though, I went to Ocean Blue on "dress up or not night" wearing a sparkly top and black long skirt. Was surprised to see two ladies seated next to me in denim cut-offs and tank tops. I thought there was a dress code for certain specialty restaurants?

Tracy

The only dress code in any venue is Le Bistro and the large MDR and that is only no shorts, tank tops, baseball caps etc. Other than that, shorts are fine in any other venue including Blue.

My husband and I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner, especially for the specialty restaurants, and also for picture nights. Have used many of these photos on Christmas cards and get so many wonderful comments.

I agree with cpcanuck and khia213 comments. I love dressing up and take at least 5 or 6 cocktail dresses for a 7 day cruise. I'm not young, but still think I look good in a dress (my husband says so, sweet thing) and really don't get that much of an opportunity to dress up when home.

I disagree with ConnieG. Seems we get more attention at dinner when we are dressed to the T rather in casual wear. Try this just about anywhere when your out and about at home. People tend to pay more attention to you when you look exceptionally nice then just in normal wear. Just my assumption, that's all. Wear what you want. Just don't show up in your underwear. Just have a grand time whatever you do. Feel what's right for you. Enjoy your cruise.

People watching and making comments to ourselves is an activity. What type of attention were you getting on "non dress up nights"

These are cheap mass market cruiselines serving glorified cafeteria food trying to creat an illusuion to sell photo's. On designated nights, fine but on others it just looks out of place.

As far as dressing up at home, there are many charity functions that are black tie that would afford that opportunity to dress up.

Times change, we don't wear suits to ball games and women don't bring 10 hats.

It would be interesting what everyone considers dressed up.

I guess the difference of mentioned 20% or 50% is largely because of the very flexible definition of being dressed up.

I would say 10% of the guests use Norwegians Night Out or the former Dress up or not nights to dress differently compared to the other nights.

I am pleased to see that some folks still dress up. We haven't cruised in the last 10 years & I prefer to dress up. Especially since we so rarely get to do so with our 11 & 9 year olds dining at Applebees & the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People watching and making comments to ourselves is an activity. What type of attention were you getting on "non dress up nights"

These are cheap mass market cruiselines serving glorified cafeteria food trying to creat an illusuion to sell photo's. On designated nights, fine but on others it just looks out of place.

As far as dressing up at home, there are many charity functions that are black tie that would afford that opportunity to dress up.

Times change, we don't wear suits to ball games and women don't bring 10 hats.

This a post I made on another thread:

You are right. One never knows what other people are saying about you and what you are wearing. Although wearing a pair of NICE khaki dockers, golf shirt and topsiders for casual nights I'm not too noticeable.

On our recent cruise to Norway on the Constellation there was an older couple that obviously had issues. Every night and I mean EVERY night he would wear a different color suit. Didn't see them all but did see: pink, green, powder blue and bright red. She always wore some type of period outfit. One night was a scarlet o'hara thing, another was a twenties flapper do with an enormous hat. Every night they would wait until the Elite cocktail hour was well underway then make a grand entrance. They were at the late seating as were we. There also they waited until 20 minutes after dinner started then make another grand entrance. Can't imagine how many suitcases they needed.

Never noticed their shoes however. If they had crocs we were going to demand they not be admitted!

Last edited by PoppyandNana; Today at 08:47 AM.