Can I bring a Birthday Cake on board NCL Getaway?

romalley99

I know some cruise lines, including NCL, allow cases of soda and snacks, but do they allow carry on birthday cakes? I do know they offer cakes to purchase on board but will they allow me to carry my own on. The cruise line I am talking about is Norwegian Cruise Line! Thanks! :)

I know some cruise lines, including NCL, allow cases of soda and snacks, but do they allow carry on birthday cakes? I do know they offer cakes to purchase on board but will they allow me to carry my own on. The cruise line I am talking about is Norwegian Cruise Line! Thanks! :)

Generally the answer is No.

US Public Health Service does not approve of cooked / baked foods brought onboard by passengers. The cruise line has not had control of storage and handling of the prepared foods, but is held responsible in case anyone gets sick from eating them. The cruise line's legal department is also nervous about you bringing potentially dangerous foods onboard.

Best to ask this on the NCL board. I'm sure they will have a decorated cake for purchase.

We've brought food on other lines. Never been stopped.

If it is allowed on, the ship will not hold it for you. The cabin fridges are small and not cold enough to store milk properly.

In general only packaged, factory-sealed food items from recognized manufacturers are allowed. (Granola bars, sealed yogurts.)

A birthday cake is one of the most difficult items to transport and keep in presentable shape. You're going to have to take it to port and keep this thing horizontal as you go through embarkation. Heat while you wait in line is also a factor especially if it has cream or some other highly perishable filling.

Ordering a cake from the ship makes a lot more practical sense.

you can get a free birthday cake on board. In any case, I have brought pies aboard with out a problem. Getting it off did require Department of agriculture clearance. Yes USPHS CDC rules require that all items TO BE SERVED aboard be from approved sources. Its not like they will be cooking it in the kitchen...

you can get a free birthday cake on board. In any case, I have brought pies aboard with out a problem. Getting it off did require Department of agriculture clearance. Yes USPHS CDC rules require that all items TO BE SERVED aboard be from approved sources. Its not like they will be cooking it in the kitchen...

I'm happy you've been able to bring your pies on board with no problems. But in our litigatious society should anybody get sick from a spoiled cream filling they'll blame something from the ship's galley and not the home-baked goodie.:(

I would say you could bring a cake on any other cruise lne but NCL.

Really depends on how big the cake is on how difficult to bring on other lines. We often buy pastries and coffee cakes because we think non of the cruise lines do a very good job with cakery items... all cream, no cake... where is the cake? Like that old commerical, where's the beef? Same with bakery items. We have purchased pastries in Spain, Italy, Israel, Turkey... probably even Greece that are wonderful.

NCL specifically prohibits bringubg any food items on board. I suspect because they have lots of specialty restrauants on board. They don't want to lose $s.

We cruised NCL for the first time in 10 years a year ago, noticed the prohibition, so came prepared, brough some plastic bags, because when we cruise in the in the Mediterranean we have some favorite food items we like to buy and bring on board for our cabin. With plastic bags did so without any problem. We did not over do it, small package.

Have never had a problem and do not have to hide what we bring aboard when cruising Princess, HAL, Cunard and Celebrity.

I would say you could bring a cake on any other cruise lne but NCL.

Really depends on how big the cake is on how difficult to bring on other lines. We often buy pastries and coffee cakes because we think non of the cruise lines do a very good job with cakery items... all cream, no cake... where is the cake? Like that old commerical, where's the beef? Same with bakery items. We have purchased pastries in Spain, Italy, Israel, Turkey... probably even Greece that are wonderful.

NCL specifically prohibits bringubg any food items on board. I suspect because they have lots of specialty restrauants on board. They don't want to lose $s.

We cruised NCL for the first time in 10 years a year ago, noticed the prohibition, so came prepared, brough some plastic bags, because when we cruise in the in the Mediterranean we have some favorite food items we like to buy and bring on board for our cabin. With plastic bags did so without any problem. We did not over do it, small package.

Have never had a problem and do not have to hide what we bring aboard when cruising Princess, HAL, Cunard and Celebrity.

As I said, I have and have seen others do it and it was NCL. Coming off they inspected(customs border protection for the department Of Ag) the pie and let it in to the US.

As I said, I have and have seen others do it and it was NCL. Coming off they inspected(customs border protection for the department Of Ag) the pie and let it in to the US.

You are absolutely right, we can't bring any food items off the any ship, any line. Only prepackaged items like protein bars okay.

I'M telling you NCL does not want passengers to bring on food items of any kind. I read on the NCL board here that passengers in Italy who bought pizza or some other food item in port, had it taken away at the gangway when they went back to the ship. Sure enough, when I was on the Jade there was a large sign in the gangway area stating no food items allow from port. I don't see how someone would hide a cake on NCL. Other lines no prohlem.

From the NCL website:

"Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors/beverages*, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal. *For more information read our FAQ "What about alcohol consumption and wine corkage?" Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard."