Allure and elderly

My mother in law is planning on going with us on the Allure in 2016. She will be 80 at the time and uses a walker for long distances, but is very active and young at heart. She will be sharing a JS with us. Will the Allure be too much for her?

My mother in law is planning on going with us on the Allure in 2016. She will be 80 at the time and uses a walker for long distances, but is very active and young at heart. She will be sharing a JS with us. Will the Allure be too much for her?

My parents were 84 and 85 on Allure a few years ago and didn't have any issues. However, neither uses a walker. One thing that helped is that they had a stateroom near the elevator lobby.

The only time the ship was horribly crowded was on Embarkation Day until the announcement was made the cabins were ready. No big crowds after that.

Just thinking you might consider taking her to Giovanni's for lunch on Embarkation Day to have an enjoyable place for lunch and avoid the crowd. :)

LuLu

We used a scooter on the Allure and it really helped to shrink this very large ship. RCCL provides 2 different companies for scooters, wheelchairs, etc. We used one of them, Special Needs At Sea, which worked out well in terms of the service they provided.

I see absolutely no reason, why the Allure would be too much. People travel on these ships with canes, walkers, casts, and dozens of other disabilities. You just need to plan better. Leave for shows and arrive early for easier seating. Same with meals. If getting off the ship, avoid the "rush time" which is usually when first docked. If she does not want to get off the ship, than there is plenty to do on the ship.

I think she will do fine, but she's the ultimate judge of that. I'd suggest bringing the walker. It will make her feel more confident, and may also help with ship pitching and rolling. With a ship as large as the Allure, that may not be a problem.

The ship is wonderful! But it requires walking some long distances to enjoy all venues. I would strongly recommend for back up, you rent a wheelchair, if the walking becomes too difficult for her, you can wheel her. Definately stay in a cabin close to the elevators. I would also suggest a handicapped access cabin as it will be larger and the shower and doorways will be easier for her to navigate.

We are trying to take DH's 81 year old Mom on Allure next winter. Make sure that you bring her walker even if she doesn't use it all the time. Took MIL on Enchantment this winter and at first she didn't want to bring the walker, but once on board she was very happy that she did. I think that we might rent a wheelchair just in case due to the size of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a wheelchair for my MIL that uses a walker. She was worried about being a bother. I wanted to make sure that she would not miss anything because she felt tired or it was too far, etc. She really liked it and we were able to hang our bags from shopping on it :).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sure she will do just fine and have a wonderful time.

Agree that renting a wheelchair might be useful, particularly for shore excursions, or being off the ship. Some of the piers can be a long walk before you actually get into "town" or the end of the pier. In Labadee they have wheelchairs with big wheels and someone available to push you; however, not all ports have that availability. Found both Cozumel and Nassau were a long walk - doable - but the heat and lack of shade can be a problem - she might not want to walk. Falmouth, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas were not as far, but still might find a wheelchair useful.