Did You/Are You Switching Cruise Lines Because of HAL's Smoking Policies?

sail7seas

I think both threads are more interesting than the usual "we hate smokers....they are the devil" and "non-smokers are all hot house self centered liberals" threads. I think each thread gives a better idea of the impact of the current policy. Even though the "other thread" didn't have some people post who are loyal to HAL, always will be, never change but want the smoking policy changed, enough people have posted to say they are staying with HAL.

We have changed, but I stay here hoping for breaking news because I miss HAL.

So, Toad, within the span of a couple of minutes, you chastise Sail7Seas for starting another smoking thread, which you are "so SICK of", then turn around and thank the OP of another smoking thread for having started one. I guess you only want to see threads that support your point of view on this board.

I noticed that as well. On this thread posters weren't barked orders on how to post. I find the other thread so offensive.

Edited by cruz chic

I think both threads are more interesting than the usual "we hate smokers....they are the devil" and "non-smokers are all hot house self centered liberals" threads. I think each thread gives a better idea of the impact of the current policy. Even though the "other thread" didn't have some people post who are loyal to HAL, always will be, never change but want the smoking policy changed, enough people have posted to say they are staying with HAL.

We have changed, but I stay here hoping for breaking news because I miss HAL.

Really? I see smokers attacking non smokers way more often and the posts are way more offensive. It seems perfectly ok to harass posters even though it's against guidelines. Take a look at the other thread.

I think Both threads were very clear. I see the other thread not as barking orders but trying to be very clear (so that nobody would get confused) about how to respond. Both threads ask a simple yes or no question.

This thread...are you or have you switched....period.

That thread...are you staying....period.

I don't see how anyone is insulted, we are all lucky to have choices.

So, Toad, within the span of a couple of minutes, you chastise Sail7Seas for starting another smoking thread, which you are "so SICK of", then turn around and thank the OP of another smoking thread for having started one. I guess you only want to see threads that support your point of view on this board.

Since you feel it is necessary for me to justify my answers, I will let you know that I first stated I usually love reading Sail7seas input. Second, the thread by Diane was refreshingly different, and as I have often stated, I have never been bothered by smoke on my balcony, so I just wanted to support that view point. Thirdly, it is very clear that many people have expressed their opinions about smoking on balconies MANY, MANY, times.

I would say that because there is so much passion and interest in smoking threads - and by the fact that there as such a great quantity of them - that people clearly want to discuss the issue. And isn't that why we call this a Discussion Board?

I give Sail credit for developing such a thought provoking question to keep the discussion so interesting.

When people stop reading and commenting on Smoking threats, I would suppose we'll see less of them.

Toad,

:) It's a simple reason why I asked the question that started this thread.

I wanted to know the answer.

I do not recall ever reading that question asked that way.

I would say that because there is so much passion and interest in smoking threads - and by the fact that there as such a great quantity of them - that people clearly want to discuss the issue. And isn't that why we call this a Discussion Board?

I give Sail credit for developing such a thought provoking question to keep the discussion so interesting.

When people stop reading and commenting on Smoking threats, I would suppose we'll see less of them.

Ah, a Freudian slip? or just a typo......

??????? He is working.

He is going on leave for a month or two and cruising on other lines. His blog yesterday references this.

I said it tongue in cheek. I don't blame him, I'd never want to cruise on the line I was also an employee or worse captain!

Really? I see smokers attacking non smokers way more often and the posts are way more offensive. It seems perfectly ok to harass posters even though it's against guidelines. Take a look at the other thread.

I will reluctantly agree. Those of you in the anti smoking camp can get to be a bit much sometimes (Sorry.) but at least you don't quash debate and try to crush any opposing viewpoints. (So, Yay!)

What is really needed is a poll, hosted off site to ensure fairness, that covers all the viewpoints without being slanted on way or another. It needs two questions. The first determines whether or not the respondent is a Holland America cruiser. The second would span the range from "I am considering leaving HAL / have left HAL because smoking is allowed on balconies." to "Balcony smoking plays no part in why I do/do not cruise on Holland America" to "I will leave Holland America if smoking is no longer allowed on balconies." The second survey question needs one or two questions that would fit between the two extremes and the "Don't care." They would have to be along the line of "I will continue to sail on Holland America but I prefer that balcony smoking be banned." and "I will continue to sail with Holland America but I prefer that balcony smoking continue to be allowed."

Those two questions should give you a decent sampling and should not introduce any bias - from the survey anyway. Response bias is a whole different animal. It would be hard, but not impossible, to control.

Of course you would still need a thread so people can spar with one another. It seems like a very popular sport. :D

But isn't the real question "Have you stopped booking HAL because of the smoking policy" Not..we cruise lots of other lines, we never book a balcony so it doesn't matter, we book a balcony and hate smokers" That would be the only thing HAL would be interested in seeing because that means customers are taking their vacation dollars elsewhere.

These two threads (when you sift through the entertainment) come close to asking that question.

Sail--that's what I was saying about both threads. You asked a different and direct question as did the other thread. Both posters started threads that were original, non-combative and interesting.

Thanks, Mountainmare. :)

I noticed that as well. On this thread posters weren't barked orders on how to post. I find the other thread so offensive.

I agree with you. The idea of the other thread was OK - though very confusing at first because there was no question, just a statement, and it seemed the OP only wanted to hear from smokers - the OP needed to soften the tone in the barking orders bit.

People who see clear concise instructions as barking orders are lucky they were never students in my class. Maybe if the rules from cruiselines were spelled out as short and sweet (instead of, "out of consideration for our guests ..blaa blaa blaa") but a standard list

things would be easier.

Maybe its just how people are used to getting ideas across. When i train horses I'm used to giving short direct instructions (otherwise I end up on the ground)

I agree with you. The idea of the other thread was OK - though very confusing at first because there was no question, just a statement, and it seemed the OP only wanted to hear from smokers - the OP needed to soften the tone in the barking orders bit.

Don't even try to say that! I asked the question because I thought it wasn't quite clear and got accused of trying to hijack the thread and chastised for not

ME: Clarification please: You're looking for responses from smokers only, correct?

ORIGINAL POSTER: (legalslave, whose Christmas card list I will likely not be on in 2014) POA1, it's obvious you did not read or comprehend the original simple post which is fairly straight forward and are trying to hijack the thread. It OBVIOUSLY stated nothing about who smokes or who does not smoke.

Diane

===============

I then responded that I had no intention of hijacking the thread. I simply didn't understand the what she was asking. (The adverb "only" is not in an ideal location in her sentence. If you try to diagram it, you'll see what I mean.) Anyway... My response about not trying to hijack the thread was deleted, as was her initial response. It currently survives as a quote in another poster's thread. (It also survives in the CC offline archive, along with the other post.)

So basically, they took me, someone who would have gladly posted that I've not been bothered by smoke on the cruise ship, and given me the full arch-enemy treatment. Ironically, I posted a message here on this thread that said the same thing and everyone was civil. That tends to support what Cruz Chic said.

However, there are plenty of people, the majority probably, who are able to have a polite and civil discourse on smoking and many other topics.

Edited by POA1

Maybe its just how people are used to getting ideas across. When i train horses I'm used to giving short direct instructions (otherwise I end up on the ground)

Works that way with both my dog and my DH:D

We like HAL, very much so, but we save money now by booking inside or ov cabins. We'd go for a balcony but the smoking drives me crazy. Especially those cigars.:eek:

Ditto. We won't book a balcony with HAL because of the chance a smoker will interfere with our enjoyment.