Did You/Are You Switching Cruise Lines Because of HAL's Smoking Policies?

sail7seas

I think I'll go feel my way over to NCL today now that I know the cavalry will rescue me. :) Thanks. ;)

Your question is already answered over there. Just look for the attention hungry "woe is me" thread. ;)

I made it to CCL, enjoyed my visit and found the way back to HAL easy. So happy you two would have searched for me had I lost my way!! :D

I think I'll go feel my way over to NCL today now that I know the cavalry will rescue me. :) Thanks. ;)

The quick recap of the thread is there does not seem to be a mad rush to 'move on over' to HAL for those verandah cruisers who can no longer smoke on CCL verandahs. Maybe those who are rushing to book HAL just didn't speak up?

Or maybe they've stopped reading the CCL board if they've already jumped ship?

Costa allows smoking on balconies, correct? -- maybe folks are "switching" to Costa? Costa's onboard ambiance may seem more suited to Carnival and NCL cruisers than the oft-repeated esthetic on HAL: the "nursing home" line. I certainly don't agree with that moniker, but it is HAL's pervasive image among those who have not sailed with HAL.

I won't switch from HAL!

Furthermore, it strikes be funny that some comments state that they love HAL but will no longer sail if HAL doesn't prohibit balcony smoking.

I've been cruising on HAL since October of 2004 (little less than 10 years). At that time (aside from the current locations), you could smoke in the cabin, the Crows Nest, the Ocean Bar, the Sports Bar, the pool with the retractable roof (on the port side) and anywhere outside.

HAL has implemented many more restrictions since then and my question to those who use to love HAL, why did you love it then? Can anyone see the contradiction here.

I made it to CCL, enjoyed my visit and found the way back to HAL easy. So happy you two would have searched for me had I lost my way!! :D

The quick recap of the thread is there does not seem to be a mad rush to 'move on over' to HAL for those verandah cruisers who can no longer smoke on CCL verandahs. Maybe those who are rushing to book HAL just didn't speak up?

Welcome home. We were worried about your safety in a strange land.

If you go to NCL, don't stay out too late:D

Smoking cigarettes is still legal, after all. Non smokers should stay out of the area.

We stick with HAL, I don't smoke but my husband do. We never book a balcony cabin so he has to smoke in the smoking area en thats fine by him.

Sometimes we book Celebrity also, no smoking reason, sometimes a better route or price.

I want to quote this : Smoking cigarettes is still legal, after all. Non smokers should stay out of the area.

Sometimes people walk by and waving hands for the smoke, that is getting on my nerves, if you don't smoke PLEASE go the other way so it won't bother you.

We don't drink alcohol but others do, it's also legal and not good for your health, it don't bother me.

Every person have a right to smoke or drink or do both.

My smoking husband still want to sail with HAL if they decide to ban smoking on the balcony.

Greetings Sheba2008

Now if they can just keep the smoke in the smoking section all would be fine.:eek:

Edited by josie724

I won't switch from HAL!

Furthermore, it strikes be funny that some comments state that they love HAL but will no longer sail if HAL doesn't prohibit balcony smoking.

I've been cruising on HAL since October of 2004 (little less than 10 years). At that time (aside from the current locations), you could smoke in the cabin, the Crows Nest, the Ocean Bar, the Sports Bar, the pool with the retractable roof (on the port side) and anywhere outside.

HAL has implemented many more restrictions since then and my question to those who use to love HAL, why did you love it then? Can anyone see the contradiction here.

Cruise lines and policy are always changing, and some of us make our cruise decisions based on the current situation. For example, many years ago we disliked Celebrity and avoided that line for more then a decade. But now, because of many changes and their fantastic Solstice Class ships they have become our favorite line. As to HAL, we cannot ignore their many cut backs that have taken the line from near the top of our list ( we have cruised on 14 cruise lines) to near the bottom. The only reason we continue to cruise HAL is because of their wonderful itineraries. Does smoking enter into our decision making? Yep. All things being equal we would always opt for the line with the most restrictive smoking policy.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I won't switch from HAL!

No contradiction here. Once upon a time, smoking policies were pretty standard across the cruise industry, so one's choice of cruise line was based on other factors. While HAL has made some changes to its smoking policy over the years, it now lags behind other lines, and behind society as a whole. There are currently several lines that offer ships, service, itineraries and prices as good or better than HAL's while offering more restrictive smoking policies. Is it really a surprise that non-smokers would switch?

Take a look at Royal Caribbean Voyager and Freedom Class ships. Those 8 ships have a really nice connoisseur club on board that is staffed with a bartender every evening. I'm not a smoker, but even I think these rooms are really nice.

I will check it out. I thought you had to be VIP or something to use that room. But maybe not. We are VIP with Carnival and still will sail Carnival. But right now only for short trips. At least until they bring back the cigar lounges/bars.

Last time we tried to find a location on the Lido deck it was impossible to find a location that wasn't windy and you couldn't find a place to put the ashes in site.. We had to find a plastic cup and put water in it, to keep the ashes from flying around. Hopefully they provide better places soon.

No contradiction here. Once upon a time, smoking policies were pretty standard across the cruise industry, so one's choice of cruise line was based on other factors. While HAL has made some changes to its smoking policy over the years, it now lags behind other lines, and behind society as a whole. There are currently several lines that offer ships, service, itineraries and prices as good or better than HAL's while offering more restrictive smoking policies. Is it really a surprise that non-smokers would switch?

No, it would not be a surprise (to see people switch) if they share your opinion that other lines offer ships, service, itineraries and price as good or better than HAL, and if smoking on balconies is the deciding factor. My point was that people now claim that they use to love HAL and don't now because of the smoking policy. The contradiction is they loved HAL when smoking was taking place in the cabins, lounges, Lido pool area, etc, along with the current locations. So now it is much more smoking restrictive and yet they claim they're "jumping ship". Some claim they left HAL awhile ago, and yet they're on the CC HAL board continuously complaining. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Yes, HAL is now (because of the balcony) less restrictive than other major lines but I certainly do not think HAL lags behind society as a whole regarding smoking.

I will check it out. I thought you had to be VIP or something to use that room. But maybe not. We are VIP with Carnival and still will sail Carnival. But right now only for short trips. At least until they bring back the cigar lounges/bars.

No, no. You're thinking of the Concierge Club. The Connoisseur Club is a dedicated cigar lounge. It's open to everyone.

We're trying our first non-HAL cruise this coming December. Balcony smoke was one reason.

Also, I got bored with HAL's food and want to see if having more specialty restaurants is worth the increase in ship size.

I'm voting with my feet, but my guess is that HAL won't notice.

And do leave that light on; we may well be back!

We're trying our first non-HAL cruise this coming December. Balcony smoke was one reason.

Also, I got bored with HAL's food and want to see if having more specialty restaurants is worth the increase in ship size.

I'm voting with my feet, but my guess is that HAL won't notice.

And do leave that light on; we may well be back!

:) We'll leave the light on.

Hope you'll share some comments after your December cruise. I always enjoy the comparison sort of posts.

Hope you have a great cruise.

No, it would not be a surprise (to see people switch) if they share your opinion that other lines offer ships, service, itineraries and price as good or better than HAL, and if smoking on balconies is the deciding factor. My point was that people now claim that they use to love HAL and don't now because of the smoking policy. The contradiction is they loved HAL when smoking was taking place in the cabins, lounges, Lido pool area, etc, along with the current locations. So now it is much more smoking restrictive and yet they claim they're "jumping ship". Some claim they left HAL awhile ago, and yet they're on the CC HAL board continuously complaining. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Yes, HAL is now (because of the balcony) less restrictive than other major lines but I certainly do not think HAL lags behind society as a whole regarding smoking.

Very well said! I have to agree and I don't get it either! I find HAL to be very restrictive with their Smoking Policy! HAL maybe less restrictive with regards to balcony smoking which is an Outdoor Space but definitely more restrictive with regards to smoking in Indoor Space than some of the other lines that have banned Smoking on balconies.

Now that other lines have more restrictions on smoking -- I have not returned to Holland America. I will return when they change their policy. I have a friend who works for HAL and this is definitely being considered in the near future.

We have dipped our toes into other cruise lines not due to any smoking policies (we are non smoker) but due to wanting to cruise with other family members and wanting to cruise from a port closer to home. Our last 3 cruises have been out of NJ/NY.

Our first was on X Summit to Bermuda. We booked a Celebrity Suite. It was quite nice but no nicer than a Neptune Suite on HAL. The ship was very nice but I did not care for the food in the main dining rooms. Our butler was useless. The Normandy was excellent and much better than the Pinnacle Grill.

Next was Explorer of the Sea to the Caribbean. We booked an Owner's Suite (I think). We loved the room and bath - I would say better than a SA on HAL. While the food was not as good as HAL it was far better than X. The service was really outstanding and comparable to HAL. We enjoyed the nightly happy hour in the Suite Lounge - very intimate and they paired us up with some very interesting other passengers. HAL is missing out on this as it wasn't really a free glass of wine but getting to know other passengers in an intimate space.

Most recently was on the Queen Mary 2. We booked a Princess Grill P2 suite and got upgraded to a P1 (better location). We loved loved loved Cunard and can not wait to sail on the QM2 again. Again HAL needs to step it up to compete at least in the Suite categories.

We have also booked the Royal's Quantum of the Seas for a New Year's Eve cruise. I'm a bit skeptical about this one due to the new dining situations (no main dining room) there are something like 18 different dinning locations. The ship looks super cool and different.

Given all that... I can't wait to book another HAL cruise but can't seem to figure out where to go. I'm weary of the Caribbean and having to travel to FLL. I'm glad we finally stepped out of our comfort of HAL and know there are other options for us. Back to the original question regarding smoking.... As a non-smoker X was nice for that.

To answer your question Sails, no, no, no. There are so many other aspects of cruising that we consider, way beyond this smoking issues. Smoking, not to smoke, where to smoke, where not to smoke, just isn't all that important in our decision who were going to cruise on.

Personally I'm am tired of these smoking threads too, only because they seem to consume so much of our board, and they are so negative and confrontational. We love to cruise and we love our cruise line of choice. We know that even when Hal makes the decision to discontinue smoking on their balconies it won't be the end of the issue because there are people who want the world to be smoke free and they will never give up.

I have sever allergies to perfume (so does Joanie). It is a problem for me, but no one is going to quit wearing perfume for me. I just have to be careful and avoid it as much as I can, but you don't hear me making a big deal out of it and starting thread after thread on perfume issues. There are times when I can't use my balcony either because there's a person that has drenched theirselves in perfume standing out on their balcony at the same time.

We got it, you don't want people to smoke around you, but as long as it is a legal substance they are not going to outlaw it on cruise ships, because people are allow to have a little space to enjoy their vices, be it smoking, drinking or whatever. I'm sure with all the brow beating on this subject, you will get your way. Though I kind of wish Hal would stick to their guns on this issue, because I know whether they allow smoking on their balconies or not, they will continue to have lots of customers..........and there will still be complaints about smoking.

This makes sense!!!! I am a smoker. I don't cruise often but when I do, I pay for a balcony (starboard aft). I didn't smoke in my cabin even when it was allowed so to me, it's a benefit to have a balcony!

So to answer the original question, Yes, I choose HAL because I CAN still smoke on my balcony. If HAL bans it then I will consider all other lines and try to find a cabin with easy access to a smoking area.

Another point made that I agree with is that by limiting areas where folks CAN smoke, it will create areas that are so smoke infused that no one will be able to enjoy the space.

There are legitimate reasons for people to need to be away from smoke however, I think that the general "anti smoking" crusade has blown the issue way out of proportion.

After several bad experiences with a balcony room and smokers next door, we have bailed on HA and now find X our cruise line of choice. The ships, the food quality and the smoking policy have made us happy with our choice. As well we found the HA cutbacks as compared to the HA of old to be not to our liking. Real nice to have a choice where we spend our hard earned bucks.

Just our thoughts.

We have moved to HAL because the ALLOW smoking on their verandahs. After 33 cruises with Princess, we could not enjoy our cruises with them with the limited (and we really mean limited) smoking areas.

HAL has gained a customer as long as they leave their verandah smoking policy as is. Otherwise we would not exclusively cruise with HAL. We enjoy the other aspects of cruising on HAL, but can get better perks with Princess.

Don't shoot me but I'm really interested and, therefore, asking.....

Have you or are you planning to switch to HAL because you can no longer smoke on your favorite cruise line's verandah?

Have you or are you planning to switch cruise lines because you do not like that HAL continues to permit smoking on verandahs?

Do you have friends or family who are doing one or the other?

Thanks.

Oh Sail7seas, why did you do this as I so often love your posts, but I am so SICK of the smoking thing!

Oh Sail7seas, why did you do this as I so often love your posts, but I am so SICK of the smoking thing!

I see this comment often. Why not skip these threads?. It's super easy. There are many threads on this forum that I don't have any interest in. I just skip by them.

OP: Thanks for the thread and YES we will continue to sail with HAL. Another member of the "mostly" silent majority.

So, Toad, within the span of a couple of minutes, you chastise Sail7Seas for starting another smoking thread, which you are "so SICK of", then turn around and thank the OP of another smoking thread for having started one. I guess you only want to see threads that support your point of view on this board.